Thread: Pupilometer

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Pupilometer

Anyone know where I can get a pupilometer for cheap? I'm volunteering with The Lion's Club in Mexico. We're going to donate 10,000 pairs of glasses and they don't have a pupilometer! Everything was done the old fashioned way. Anyways, can anyone help? Thank you for reading this post.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Take a ruler. You are working in a third world country. You can't count on batteries. You gonna be dispensing "almost and nilly bout" Rx's and glasses. PD's if taken at all will be only very loosely related to the glasses. Use a ruler. Be a good time to practice your elementary skills.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Penlight

Penlight and ruler...I agree with Chip. Even the batteries on the penlight may go. Then you're back to just the ruler. Basic skills never go out of style.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm, I work with someone who swears they can get a better measurement with a pen and ruler than with a pupilometer. ( although having seen the man's pupilometer I'm not supprised - it's an old hunk of junk)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    Hmmm, I work with someone who swears they can get a better measurement with a pen and ruler than with a pupilometer. ( although having seen the man's pupilometer I'm not supprised - it's an old hunk of junk)
    Dispense his PAL sales and compare his fits to the rest of the office employees. I would say he's correct.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Braheem:
    But you jus' doan unnastan. Dem new idiot proof technology just gotta be bedda. It be new. It be technological. Next thing you gonna be tellin us temple joints shortened with a hand-file is jus' as good a those cut with a laser. Why the very idea!

You think a young highly technically trained person could use a ruler or an handfile?

Chip

As you know I don't like Poly but legally anything in a sports glass has to be impact resistant whether used for sport or not. You might also pay attentiion to the smaller the lens size the less thick the edge.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 09-01-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: PS

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Braheem:
    But you jus' doan unnastan. Dem new idiot proof technology just gotta be bedda. It be new. It be technological. Next thing you gonna be tellin us temple joints shortened with a hand-file is jus' as good a those cut with a laser. Why the very idea!

You think a young highly technically trained person could use a ruler or an handfile?

Chip

bad chip! BAD! you can beat up on everyone except the young. so THERE!!

*gives you the hairy eyeball*
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Geez you guys are rude.

She is going on a glasses mission with 10,000 frames. That means DISPENSING/ADJUSTING/FABRICATING literally to thousands of people.

Wouldn't you agree that using a pupilometer would be HELPFUL? Perhaps making her job EASIER?

Did she really deserve to have the self-rightous clan come out with such rudeness?

Sheesh, seems of late nobody can ask a question here on Optiboard without getting jumped on. How sad.

Emily:

I don't know the answer to your question. I will look around and see if I have a working older one to donate to your cause.

Thank you for doing your Volunteer work. I once did so in Honduras and I know it's HARD work. Thank you for helping people to see better.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel like even more of a loser than usual!

I tossed two heavily used pupilometers about two weeks ago!

They were rather shabby, but may have been decent enough to use on a project like this!

Next time, I will try to control my OCD and not want to toss things so quickly!!!!!!!!!

:cheers::cheers::shiner::cheers::cheers::D

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    Geez you guys are rude.

She is going on a glasses mission with 10,000 frames. That means DISPENSING/ADJUSTING/FABRICATING literally to thousands of people.

Wouldn't you agree that using a pupilometer would be HELPFUL? Perhaps making her job EASIER?

Did she really deserve to have the self-rightous clan come out with such rudeness?

Sheesh, seems of late nobody can ask a question here on Optiboard without getting jumped on. How sad.

Emily:

I don't know the answer to your question. I will look around and see if I have a working older one to donate to your cause.

Thank you for doing your Volunteer work. I once did so in Honduras and I know it's HARD work. Thank you for helping people to see better.
    Thank you Jana. I certainly appreciate the understanding of why I would want to use a pupilometer. Time! I can definitely use the good ole ruler but dang it, it's longer and my hand isn't as steady. Anyways, thank you for your time and consideration. This trip will be documented. Hopefully one day you guys will see the video when it comes out.

Bad address email on file donovanbaldwin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Best of luck and all the success in the world...with or without technology. By the way, I too am good with a PD stick, but the hand doth wobble a bit more than it used to!

Probably from not having enough coffee....

Have a great day!

Don

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Good Luck on your trip....I wouldnt just depend on a pupilometer and bring a few extra rulers just in case (batteries, it gets dropped, airline loses it, etc).

Cant wait to see photos!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Back to the original request: cheap pupilometer.

One of the essilor labs in the Midwest (Oklahoma, kansas maybe? Don't remember) is their center for pupilometer repair and has used ones pretty reasonable. Especially if you want an older non-digital one.

Otherwise--Ebay.

Harry

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Slightly off the subject but

Know anyone who can strip and re-coat optical instrument lenses? Stuff like pupiometers, slit-lamps, etc.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Because I'm back, and now I have insommnia also....

Use a ruler. Pupilometers look all fancy for your paying customer, but do they do canthus to canthus when you're measuring a child or a moron? Do they fit in your pocket? And if optical sense doesn't convince you, think of your luggage allowance! You can take sunglasses, an extra bikini, a packet of fags and a small bottle of vodka for the weight of a pupilometer. And you'll be glad of them when you get there. You know it makes sense. :-)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria2 View Post
    Because I'm back, and now I have insommnia also....

Use a ruler. Pupilometers look all fancy for your paying customer, but do they do canthus to canthus when you're measuring a child or a moron? Do they fit in your pocket? And if optical sense doesn't convince you, think of your luggage allowance! You can take sunglasses, an extra bikini, a packet of fags and a small bottle of vodka for the weight of a pupilometer. And you'll be glad of them when you get there. You know it makes sense. :-)

I like your style!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it's important to consider the essentials in life. This is one of the reasons I've never volunteered for Vision Aid Overseas. I don't think they'd get me.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I like your style!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Believe me when I tell you.......You ain't heard nothing yet! Take it from me,
    Maria's BACK!!!!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HC:
    Do dis be de former Maria XXX?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It do be.

Nice to see you're still causing trouble Chip.....:cheers: