Thread: Comparing swim effect of NIKON GO

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Comparing swim effect of NIKON GO

I have a customer had NIKON GO for years and I dispensed a new PAL, which is ACCOLADE FREEDOM. However he ended up coming back saying he feels swim effect of wearing the new PAL comparing to his old NIKON GO. His Rx has mild change; SPH -0.25 and the ADD +0.25 OU increased comparing his previous RX. I know I have to remake his PAL, but which one PAL having similar design with NIKON GO getting less swim effect; Varilux Comfort, Panamic, or it is better to dispense the same PAL lenses, NIKON GO.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    wasn't the Go based on a really wide distance area? I bet Panamic will do fine then

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Does the Panamic from Essilor has the similar design with the Nikon Go

The customer complained he feels the swim effect very bad on the Accolade Freedom lenses, Index 1.58. He compared the lenses I dispensed to him and his old lenses, Nikon GO, Index 1.50 in front of me and he said he doesn't feel any kind of distortion on his old lenses. He could not adapt to Accolade and returned to me. I hope I could dispense a similar PAL lenses from Essilor to him to reduce my lose of the cost. If there is no similar design of PAL lenses from Essilor compare to Nikon GO, then I have no choice to dispense to him with Nikon Go PAL lenses.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by lichou View Post
    The customer complained he feels the swim effect very bad on the Accolade Freedom lenses, Index 1.58. He compared the lenses I dispensed to him and his old lenses, Nikon GO, Index 1.50 in front of me and he said he doesn't feel any kind of distortion on his old lenses. He could not adapt to Accolade and returned to me. I hope I could dispense a similar PAL lenses from Essilor to him to reduce my lose of the cost. If there is no similar design of PAL lenses from Essilor compare to Nikon GO, then I have no choice to dispense to him with Nikon Go PAL lenses.
    Nikon lens design is typical very soft design with a narrow distance vision. If you normally works with Essilor I guess you should go with the panamic that is very soft as well. This will probably work the same way as the Nikon. Other soft designs with smaller distance vision could be Hoya ID.
    Zeiss, Rodenstock, Essilor and Shamir use a tad more distortion because these manufacturers prefer a wider distance and reading area. (Excluding the Panamic with the softer design).

Mike
    Last edited by OCP; 08-29-2009 at 08:17 AM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OCP View Post
    Nikon lens design is typical very soft design with a narrow distance vision. If you normally works with Essilor I guess you should go with the panamic that is very soft as well. This will probably work the same way as the Nikon. Other soft designs with smaller distance vision could be Hoya ID.
    Zeiss, Rodenstock, Essilor and Shamir use a tad more distortion because these manufacturers prefer a wider distance and reading area. (Excluding the Panamic with the softer design).

Mike
    It looks for me that Nikon Go is one of the beginner progressive, with only a tad of addition. All normal progressive will have more distortion if you increase the addition. Essilor and Hoya are making these "prespiopy single vision lenses" as well, but if you change to normal progressive lens design, you will get more distortion. Tell your client this, and change then to Panamic if he needs the extra addition.

Mike.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Keep your client in Nikon. If you need a lower fitting hight go to the nikon i or w design. The swim your client gets will not be there in any of the nikon designs. If your client is price conscious, consider the new nikon move, or move short(digital economy lens designs with minimum fit hights of 18 and 16). We never switch clients out of Nikon if they are wearing it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

life style dispensing

There are so many factors one needs to consider when we dispense PAL. I remember Darry said once of having 95% success rate fitting 100 customers with adapter; I trully belive that. switched a customer from NIkon W ( the digital LOL) to comfort he was happy and brought his wife to buy another pair.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    obviously your lab is an essilor lab and the comfort is a real bargain...LOL

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It seems the Panamic is my option

It seems the Panamic from Essilor and the Nikon Go are similar design, which is soft design; The advantage of the soft design are: wider, longer intermediate corridor, smoother transition from distance to near, less swim effect, less tendency to curve straight lines, and requires less head turning. :cheers:
    I got a lesson for this time, and I think I might not recommend customers to change the brand, and model that they are current PAL to another PAL due to price issues in the future.

Thanks for so much help from everyone.

Banned
    Occupation
    It seems the Panamic from Essilor and the Nikon Go are similar design, which is soft design; The advantage of the soft design are: wider, longer intermediate corridor, smoother transition from distance to near, less swim effect, less tendency to curve straight lines, and requires less head turning. :cheers:
    I got a lesson for this time, and I think I might not recommend customers to change the brand, and model that they are current PAL to another PAL due to price issues in the future.

Thanks for so much help from everyone.
    Don´t be afraid of changing brand. We are all doing that every day. I think what your customer are missing, is the information about the issues when you are changing from a "progressive" single lens (a first time beginner lens with a tad of addition) to a traditional progressive lens with a lot more distortion. I think many opticians will fall in that trap in the future as these new progressive single vision lenses gets more popular.

Mike

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

comfort is not cheap

Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    obviously your lab is an essilor lab and the comfort is a real bargain...LOL
    Actually comfort is not cheap for us, we don't do that many of that(it is not worth it value/price wise), at the end of the day we don't go by the NAME, we know which lens is good on what from studies and other people and our own experience so we don't limit ourself to one lens.
    I agree with OCP that it has alot to do with communication.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is any way to get more specific information of soft design, hard design, contour map of lens by its name? So, we can pick up the right PAL for filling the requirement of or communicating with our customers. The detail information of PAL from the pamphlet of its company seems not very much provided.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Panamic is inferior design

Quote Originally Posted by OCP View Post

Mike
    I can't believe anyone would still recommend the Panamic over the newer designs. I wore the Panamic for a year but was thrilled to switch to the Physio. i also hear that the Panamic will be phased out.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are Physio or Physio 360 soft design ?

From the previous discussions, It shows the Panamic is classified to the PAL of soft design. If the physio provides the less swim effect comparing to the Panamic, then what are the reasons. As some common pricipals, companies make some similar products in designs, functions, etc., matching their competitors.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From the previous discussions, It shows the Panamic is classified to the PAL of soft design. If the physio provides the less swim effect comparing to the Panamic, then what are the reasons. As some common pricipals, companies make some similar products in designs, functions, etc., matching their competitors.
    Physio and Physio 360 are going to be really similar to the accolade/accolade freedom.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile The result came out ..

I did redo for the px changing the lenses to Panamic, Essilor. The px came to pick up his glasses, and he feels the lenses almost the same as his previous one, Nikon Go. He said he can feel the unswimed effect of Panamic right way, as he felt the uncomfort feeling(swim effect) of Accolade, which caused him hard to adapt. Thanks for all of you helping me to solve my question.:cheers:

Thread Information