Thread: Non-Standard Lens Power

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Non-Standard Lens Power

Ok, I'm trying to figure out when a lab will charge a high diopter charge. It seems to depend on Material and lens design.

The charges are usually 2-3 dollars per diopter per lens over standard power, but what are these "standard powers?"

I assume it has something to do with the base curve they have to use and the lap tool they have to make especially for a job.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You'd be better off talking to your lab. Don't they have a price list that breaks it all down? All labs are different.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    You'd be better off talking to your lab. Don't they have a price list that breaks it all down? All labs are different.
    Agreed.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't you lab send you a price list at least yearly. I'll bet it says what you want to know.

Chip

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

When a prescription takes more work due to its nature, every lab will have some extra charges for more work and time involved. These extra charges have existed forever.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have not gotten straight answers from my labs. All the price list says is "price for non-standard power per diopter per lens"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They might not have a set power when they start charging extra. Its probably based on the amount of work they need to do. So you could potentially have two jobs with the same power, but one will need extra work, so they charge you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: labs

If they're truly unwilling to explain their pricing on paper or over the phone, I suggest you look into new labs.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    If they're truly unwilling to explain their pricing on paper or over the phone, I suggest you look into new labs.
    Agreed.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    Why don't you call your "fantastic" lab up and ask them this same question!

I bet you don't get a straight answer either. I think they are just charging extra when they have to remake a high Rx, or generate a lap tool.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gators View Post
    Ok, I'm trying to figure out when a lab will charge a high diopter charge. It seems to depend on Material and lens design.

The charges are usually 2-3 dollars per diopter per lens over standard power, but what are these "standard powers?"

I assume it has something to do with the base curve they have to use and the lap tool they have to make especially for a job.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks
    Surely, somewhere on that price list is something like "sph Plano - +/- 6 Cyl .12 - 3.00" It may differ by material, but it should be there.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Oversize charge..................

In the early 70s when large size frames became fashion we charged a steady $ 4.50 additional for oversisz lens blanks.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Digitally surfaced" free form lenses do not suffer from these extraneous charges.

At least not at present.

Barry

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why don't you call your "fantastic" lab up and ask them this same question!

I bet you don't get a straight answer either. I think they are just charging extra when they have to remake a high Rx, or generate a lap tool.
    if they can't give you a "straight" answer they are "crooked"

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Surely, somewhere on that price list is something like "sph Plano - +/- 6 Cyl .12 - 3.00" It may differ by material, but it should be there.
    every price list I have has something like Judy's statement

Bad address email on file Dougfir8's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Big Smile Lab is not talking?

I have not gotten straight answers from my labs. All the price list says is "price for non-standard power per diopter per lens"
    You need different labs! There are so many from which to choose. Any lab that can't (or won't) quote you a price after hearing the Rx is questionable.

In my opinion, a "standard" power is somewhere between +6.00 to -8.00 with up to 3.00 cyl. I would include prescribed prism at least to 3.0 as standard. These can all be purchased as FSV, FT28 or in what the lens companies consider standard base curves.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Remember that typically we do not discuss wholesale pricing in the public forum, as there as many elements that make up the total wholesale price.

Traditionally, labs charged overpower charges for any power stronger than +-4.00 diopters, or more than -2.00 diopters of cylinder. Labs that charge this way typically have lower list prices for high index products, but may charge pretty high as the power goes up.

Some labs charge overpower based on the material. For example, CR39 may have overpower starting at +-4.00 diopters, mid index and poly starting at +-6.00, and high index starting at +-8.00.

I think they are just charging extra when they have to remake a high Rx, or generate a lap tool.
    Nope, typically the overpower rules are coded into the lab management software that generates the invoices. Otherwise, there would be pure anarchy trying to price every job using the Ouija-board method you describe.

"Digitally surfaced" free form lenses do not suffer from these extraneous charges.
    That is a gross generalization. In fact, most labs that I am aware of have a single overpower price schedule, and do not distinguish between conventionally surfaced jobs or digitally surfaced/FreeForm jobs. Although some labs may elect to have a different overpower schedule on FreeForm jobs, that is definitely not a requirement for that method of production.
    RT

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: extra lab charges

Quote by Gators: "Why don't you call your "fantastic" lab up and ask them this same question! I bet you don't get a straight answer either. I think they are just charging extra when they have to remake a high Rx, or generate a lap tool."

I'll bet I DO get straight answers. If I have a question regarding the cost of a job, I call the lab's customer service person, have her figure it out -- including any extra charges, and I keep a record of the date of the call and the person with whom I spoke. In some cases, I even ask the customer service person to keep the quote in a file at her desk.
    Last edited by jefe; 09-01-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Thread Information