Thread: Myodiscs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Myodiscs

Hi,

Can someone out there give me some advice on lens types. I'm a massive -35D and my optician has always fitted me with myodiscs. I hate them. I see people (well shapes) walking behind me through the carrier portion of the lens.

She has insisted that they are all that is available, but I wondered if a full field lens was available in this power.

Paul

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contacts. Get the myodiscs and use them only to find your contacts with in the morning and to find the bed and bathroom at night.

Chip

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Freeform

I would suggest checking into a myodisc freeform lens. My understanding is that it would widen your viewing area giving you better peripheral vision and over all better quality optics. Also, you should always have a good anti-reflective coating on your lenses with that high of a power.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Paul,

Please review our posting guidelines:

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

PS. Smooth move posting this in the:

Optiboard Amazon Store Forum!

:hammer::cheers::cheers::angry::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    PS. Smooth move posting this in the:

Optiboard Amazon Store Forum!
    I thought it was a cute idea, especially since he is supposedly an optical professional. :D

:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I thought it was a cute idea, especially since he is supposedly an optical professional. :D

:cheers:
    I giggled at that also!

I figured that it was a tad "short-sighted" to post in this forum!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You could get your optician to frost one side of the carrier, you can't see out of this portion of the lens anyway.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I just finished a pair of -37.00 spheres and using the tools of index should have made it easy with 1.74 blanks. But I also realise that abbey values with high index can be a problem. I used the belgium system where three sets of tools are used to creat the blended. Younger myo's were nice both plus and minus carriers but you had to settle for the size where your frame might cut it off.I have 47 years in surfacing of everything,plus all the new equiptment for slabs-free form-and pretty much everything you used to do by hand,now on the machine. I love it but I still have to do the out of range rx's by hand-Yes a hand pan.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    A much bigger optical zone with a smaller blended myodisc can be surfaced with a 1.9 index glass lens,with A.R. coating.You can find a Lab in Europe to make such a lens.A small frame is recomended.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a customer with an rx of -18.50-4.50x180, -18.50-5.00x180 with a pd of 34/32.5 and a frame size a=48, dbl=17, b=26. I read up on younger blend myodiscs which may seem like a good choice. Could someone tell me whats the best bowl size for this frame to minimize edge thickness as much as possible?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Question Lenzdoc

Quote Originally Posted by lenzdoc View Post
    I have a customer with an rx of -18.50-4.50x180, -18.50-5.00x180 with a pd of 34/32.5 and a frame size a=48, dbl=17, b=26. I read up on younger blend myodiscs which may seem like a good choice. Could someone tell me whats the best bowl size for this frame to minimize edge thickness as much as possible?
    The premade myo-disc are very thick even when finished-I suggest put the cyl on the front side using whatever base will make the front a sphere grind-index if you can use will be very helpfull if not your still able to make a nice job.plano-500 then sphere front side make whatever size field you want using either a plus curve to eliminate to thick outside or a flat curve to do the same.I have so many tricks to use making these. you just have to use your brain to picture the job finished.The old rule of thumb was 4mm shorter than the vertical-but I can make what ever you want.I can do it all and your welcome to call-607-734-4251 ask for bill.7/05/11 I'll be taking to rochester to visit a doctor but will be back at it wensday 7/6

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    not a problem-I can do these and make them to make you happy.Is there anyone out there interested in learning this trade because I can't find anyone to teach-48years I'll have to quit sometime but not soon.I have all the old equiptment including a row of just sphere machines-oldfield cutters- make any tool-hand pan to tip on curves to start a surface my generator won't cut. Don't just say get contacts until you have explored the world of downtownbillybrown's special lab.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DowntownBilly:
    Why not take a digital camera, record what you do and put it on U-Tube or on Optiboards if you can figure out a way to put it on Optiboard. A capability that either eludes me or Optiboards for some reason isn't capable of.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    We are now 80% essilor and they frown on camers in their lab.You have to sign your life away just to visit the lab.Not like the old days eh?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would use a Bi-Concave -8.00 Base Curve and a -25.50 back curve with Hi-Index Glass (Flint)@1.70 index. Then I would grind A 0.5 CT.
    Is the carrier polished ? If so get a 1000 micron 3M fining pad and remove the polished edges. I would also use a P-3 zyl (ASAP) as small as possible. I am sure you have used every Contact under the sun but have you tried Synerges softperm.
    I have 39 years working in the eyecare field & have never seen a -35.00 Good Luck
    DJ

Thread Information