Thread: small b's and poly

OptiBoard Apprentice

We are unable to edge poly inhouse with a b less than 30.

Since we put all our kids in poly sending them out is expensive.

Has anyone used a lab just for edging? I would like to just send my stock lenses out and have them edged, but I wonder if the lab will just laugh at me.

Any input

Mark

Originally posted by beth:
    We are unable to edge poly inhouse with a b less than 30.

Since we put all our kids in poly sending them out is expensive.

Has anyone used a lab just for edging? I would like to just send my stock lenses out and have them edged, but I wonder if the lab will just laugh at me.

Any input
    I work for a wholesale lab and we have accounts send in uncut work to edge.We don't lauge. Poly can be a pain to edge if you don't have the equipment.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Beth,

Have you guys tried the half eye chucks? I know that with that in my Briot I can get as low as a 20mm in the B :)
    As for the second question, I can answer as a wholesale lab why we prefer NOT :) to do what you want.. I had two customers that was doing that and I explained to them it was a "favor" and that sooner or later one of these lens are going to get messed up.. and I wanted to know what they wanted to do about it.. of course when it did happen at last the OD wanted ME to EAT the lens and replace it because he thought that was "fair" since I messed it up.. so that $5 I was doing the favor for him was going to cost ME the cost of replacing a PAL Poly ... yea right.. all smiles, when you are doing a favor but mess up and all of a sudden I'm supposed to eat it..NOPE not happening.. the other problem is that my portion of the "job" was small but was warned by my Corp. lawyer I would become partially liable if anything happened for any reason to the wearer..I guess I pay him to remind me of those things :) .. needless to say for only a few dollars profit for me, it's not really worth the wholesalers time just to "edge" a job ... In fairness I would rather see you be willing to farm out the total job, atleast make it profitable to the lab in case a mistake it made, which sooner or later ALWAYS happens :) Especially since these type jobs are far and few.. the other option is to make sure that the front (dispensory) does not stock and frame size or design that will not work with your equipment :)

Jeff " who came up with this theory "labs" make big money?" Trail :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What kind of edger are you using? Like the last post, the half-eye chuck is the way to go. I use it all the time with all these narrow rectangles and ovals.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Beth, I believe that Jeff is right, bite the bullet and have your lab do the whole job, and Jeff surely doesn't charge enough for such a service. Actually, Jeff is pretty sharp, but I believe that labs really don't charge enough for their unique contribution to our industry's success. I am sure that the guys that always want to leverage their suppliers to the max, don't understand how interdependent we all are. Hang in there Jeff, but re-evaluate your margins. Al.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Al,

Actually I'm about "middle of the road" for pricing here in FL. .. I know some labs down towards little Havanna that sell uncut FT28 for only $6.50 !!! .. of course it's not the best quality of lens but you'll always find a market, I guess, where the optician or OD doesn't really worry about that You know I actually know some lab owners who actually have TWO price lists one for local and one for national accounts .. I have had some guys who looked at my prices and can get them for less from me, I mean a lot less, but they still won't give ya a chance.. go figure, maybe if I raised my prices to the lines like Benedict or some of the other big boys I'll get more accounts :)
    As for raising prices? ...I actually lost an account a couple months back because the OD could get TWO (see that ) two designs 1.00 cheaper.. of course he didn't see the "back page" where this lab adds $1.25 to EVERY job for S&H .. of course he wouldn't ever admit he made a mistake and move back to me .. I know two other labs he has tried so far and they both were not up to par, alot of redo's etc. etc. ... I owned two retail stores as well as the wholesale lab and got burnt out on retail, but I try to keep my work in a price range where it makes an independant optician have a good chance to make a great living as well .. I even run specials ever so often for my accounts where they can get the second pairs half price so they can run ads to compete with the chains once in a while .. I remember the years I struggled while I was building my two stores before I got established so what the heck, I don't mind helping out a fellow optician :)

BTW you going to Vegas for the show? I'm probably only going to be able to fly out Fri. and hang around the show on Sat. and fly back Sunday.. but I was thinking about making a long weekend and seeing my brother in Dallas, just had his first "rug rat" :) .. maybe stretch it out a few days and swing by and see a few people...Got an OD in TX. I been talking to via the web for years and thought I would drop by before he retires :)Maybe even visit Darris and Chad .. show them we guys from West Virgina (now a Floridian) can knock back a few as well as you guys from Texas. Hope everyone gets to go it's a blast ...well and informative as well

Jeff "under priced and under appreciated"Trail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea

DONT RAISE YOUR PRICES!
    PEOPLE IN OUR WORLD ARE NOT LOYAL
    FOR 1-2 DOLARS CHEAPER THEY WILL GO TO SOMEBODY ELSE
    BTW WHERE IS THAT LAB THAT SELLS FT28 FOR $6?
    AH?

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Jeff, maybe i'll see you in Vegas, I'm checkin out all the package travel deals. That's a long trip from florida, if you get to Dallas, come by and see us, only 15 min. west of the airport! I guess llenny's right, there are guys who would do you in for a dime! well, have a great day! Al.

Thread Information