Thread: Field Trip

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Field Trip

Ok, So I feel like I need a field trip. Specifically I was wondering if there is anyone in my area who has a lab and would be willing to let me sit in a corner and attempt to soak up some knowledge about such things. I have never done anything involving lab work, and I would very much like to have a better idea of how that side of things works. I realise that one day wouldn't do a whole lot, but it would at least give me a bigger picture.

I'm in Laurel, MD (roughly halfway between DC and Baltimore) can anyone give me a hand with this?
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Can't help you in MD, but if you ever make it to Florida let us know. I have never been in a lab that I didn't learn something.

Good luck,
    Scott

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bart:

Why not axe de lab what supplies you lenses?
    Most of them would welcome you, you get to know the folks that you deal with, if you sit there long enough they may even let you get some hands on.

Chip

P.S. If you buy the beer after work or supply a few when they have to work late, you can get some lab buddies that will not only put up with your questions, they will be a lot more simpathetic when you need something special or in a hurry.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 08-24-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Beer

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does your local lab rep ever stop in your office? If you ask I am sure you would be welcomed to visit. Or just stop in one morning, introduce yourself and ask for a tour. Lab rats are a fairly friendly though crusty bunch. If all else fails, attend your next state optical gathering and expo. If you hang out long enough in the bar you will meet all the lab guys you'll ever want to meet.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    actually since posting this, I mentioned something about it to one of the administrators for our dept. and was told that if I could set it up with a lab, they'd give me a paid day to go spend time in the lab. And for the life of me I can't think why I didn't think of going to our lab. Some days I think my brain is molding or something. Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Thread Information