Thread: Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?!?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?!?

I know I am (especially now that "Korny" is no longer commentating on MNF- thank god)!

Alright, any predictions? Here are my playoff picks...
    AFC
    East - Patriots, Miami (wildcard)
    South - Colts
    North - Pittsburgh, Baltimore (wildcard)
    West - San Diego

NFC
    East - Eagles, Giants (wildcard)
    South - Saints, Falcons (wildcard)
    North - Green Bay
    West - Seattle

Teams I'd love to see make the playoffs, but won't... San Fransisco (whip em in shape, Coach Singletary), Jets

Teams I'd love to see miss the playoffs, but won't... New England (but of course :^)

Misc predictions:
    a.) Vick will start at least one game as an Eagle this year,
    b.) Brees will have the best stats at the end of the year,
    c.) it'll be an all-Pennsylvania Superbowl this year!

Go Colts!
    We are... PENN STATE!

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One more prediction:

Brett Favre will be ground into the turf by the Green Bay defense within the first half of their meeting.

OK, maybe wishful thinking and not a prediction...but anyway.

I would love to see a $25Million grease spot in the middle of the Metrodome!

I'm not a Green Bay fan, just a disgruntled Vikings fan.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    ...c.) it'll be an all-Pennsylvania Superbowl this year!
    We are... PENN STATE!
    An all-Pa Superbowl and PSU NCAA championship would be great!
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I hope my Dolphins can improve over last years super turnabout. Problem is, they have the toughest schedule in the NFL this year.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a Packer Fan, and it is with tears in my eyes, that I can't get a Packer-Viking ticket. But thinking that I will hang at Lambeau on game day. That might be the most fun I have all year. Guess you have to be a Packer Backer/Cheesehead to understand. Tune in, should be fun!!!!!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I was wondering if Pete.........

I was wondering if Pete was going to get around to doing this thread again! Game ON!
    Brady looked healthy in last week's preseason against Philly and the defense has shown some bright spots to cover the loss of Rodney Harrison. We're looking to come out on top again after a disappointing season last year.

GO PATS!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by misty4afe View Post
    I am a Packer Fan, and it is with tears in my eyes, that I can't get a Packer-Viking ticket. But thinking that I will hang at Lambeau on game day. That might be the most fun I have all year. Guess you have to be a Packer Backer/Cheesehead to understand. Tune in, should be fun!!!!!

Can't wait to see a purple splat on the field.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I've had Brett Farve as my fantasy QB on more than one occasion (which has been trying on my sanity even in the best of times), but the guy just doesn't know when to hang it up (or at least he keeps taking the cleats back off the wall for "one more shot").

Brett, you were fun to watch and one of the best, but its over dude! Enjoy watching the game on TV with your hot (and classy) wife, and we'll look forward to your speech when they induct you into the Hall!

When its time to hang up my PD stick (or these days, my PowerPoint :^), I plan on throwing it far, far away!

All that said, I think it would be funny as heck if he went into Lambeau (sp?) and threw 5 TDs (with Rogers throwing 4 TDs).

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've had Brett Farve as my fantasy QB on more than one occasion (which has been trying on my sanity even in the best of times), but the guy just doesn't know when to hang it up (or at least he keeps taking the cleats back off the wall for "one more shot").

Brett, you were fun to watch and one of the best, but its over dude! Enjoy watching the game on TV with your hot (and classy) wife, and we'll look forward to your speech when they induct you into the Hall!

When its time to hang up my PD stick (or these days, my PowerPoint :^), I plan on throwing it far, far away!

All that said, I think it would be funny as heck if he went into Lambeau (sp?) and threw 5 TDs (with Rogers throwing 4 TDs).

Only thing is, with those 5 TD, he'd throw 7 picks.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Of course! Imagine having Farve on your fantasy team... At any moment, he could: a.) throw a ridiculously improbable pass for a touchdown, b.) scramble for a TD, c.) turn a perfectly safe situation into an interception, d.) scramble around and fumble.

One thing is for sure, any game with Farve in it isn't going to be boring! I guess that's why the NFL loves him so much- at its core, football is supposed to be entertaining.

This brings up an interesting question. Of all the "greats" in football history, which "great QB" was the most boring to watch? I'm thinking it would have to be a pocket type of guy who doesn't scramble much and just methodically takes his offense down the field. I have to admit, Peyton Manning is a somewhat "boring" QB to watch (which is good for my blood pressure). No chance he's going to scramble very often, and- especially the past couple years- the Colts offense makes its living by picking up 5-8 yards per play... It kind of like watching a watch movement, tick tick tick (hopefully with a new RB, they can wind the spring a bit tighter).

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Of course! Imagine having Farve on your fantasy team... At any moment, he could: a.) throw a ridiculously improbable pass for a touchdown, b.) scramble for a TD, c.) turn a perfectly safe situation into an interception, d.) scramble around and fumble.

One thing is for sure, any game with Farve in it isn't going to be boring! I guess that's why the NFL loves him so much- at its core, football is supposed to be entertaining.

This brings up an interesting question. Of all the "greats" in football history, which "great QB" was the most boring to watch? I'm thinking it would have to be a pocket type of guy who doesn't scramble much and just methodically takes his offense down the field. I have to admit, Peyton Manning is a somewhat "boring" QB to watch (which is good for my blood pressure). No chance he's going to scramble very often, and- especially the past couple years- the Colts offense makes its living by picking up 5-8 yards per play... It kind of like watching a watch movement, tick tick tick (hopefully with a new RB, they can wind the spring a bit tighter).
    How about Joe Kapp? Only non-boring thing he did was knock out a CB who tried to stop him on a rare scramble.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...This brings up an interesting question. Of all the "greats" in football history, which "great QB" was the most boring to watch? ...
    I vote for Dan Marino. He would drop back to the wet cement spot, and stick.
    ...Just ask me...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    We're looking to come out on top again after a disappointing season last year.

GO PATS!
    How spoiled we are that an 11 and 5 team with its #1 player gone in the first game is disappointing!

The Bengals look like a team to be reckoned with this season.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Can't wait to see a purple splat on the field.
    Naw, we don't want to hurt the big kid, we just want to pull his pants down and take away the ball. That's if he doesn't retire again before the big game.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    goooooooooooO Chargers!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    go pats!!!!!
    "Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others."-J. Swift

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    How spoiled we are that an 11 and 5 team with its #1 player gone in the first game is disappointing!

The Bengals look like a team to be reckoned with this season.
    THE BENGELS???????

Now thats funny, no matter who you are!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I think......

I think Uncle Fester was referring to the way the Bengals handled the Patriots last week. Admittedly they mostly manhandled the 2nd and 3rd string people, but they sure managed to ring Brady's bell a couple of times in the first part of the game. It was preseason football-neither team showed what they were capable of, but it was good to see football in any fashion.
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, I couldn't resist, being a lifelong Steeler fan and all made it impossible to keep quiet.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Varmint......You are going......

Varmint!......You are going to love this thread. Trash talking is allowed! What kind of team is showing up in "pickle town" this year??
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always like it better when everyone is talking about all the other teams & how good they will be this year.
    We were surprised last season that the Steelers were able to make it through considering how tuff their schedule was and the problems we thought they had in the OL and not having a great RB since Bettis retired.
    This season promises to be a little less stressful for us(hopefully) because any schedule is easier than last, we have some promising RB's back in the game, and we have a punter again that can kick for more than 10yds.
    Looking forward to a great season this year........

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Finally! Peyton Manning is the starting QB for the Varilux Venom (my team in the Essilor HQ FF League)... After taking Matt Forte in the first round, he was still around in round two (Brady was the first QB to go, then Brees), and it took 2 seconds to make my pick!

I usually don't draft too many Colts, but couldn't resist picking up Reggie Wayne in round 3 (hey, every time they connect for a TD, it'll be at least 11 pts in our league).

No Patriots this year (after being burnt by Maroney in recent years and noticing how "reluctant" NE is to release any kind of injury report, I'm done with the Pats), but I did pick up Willie Parker from Pitt in Round 6.

Unfortunately, opening day of the 09 NFL season will be spent in the air! Ugh. Sooooo ready for football. (Cue the "Its the most wonderful time of the year" music... :^)

PS- Like the actual Colts, I'm betting the bank on a healthy Manning- Trent Edwards is my backup (owned Favre last year and he had me pulling out hair all year).

Thread Information