Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Glasses

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Great Glasses

Has anyone heard if any of the Great Glasses stores have closed ? Has anyone heard the outcome of his disciplinary hearing ?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    This afternoon, I visited my parents with my daughter and the Great Glasses store beside their condo ( in Stoney Creek on Highway 8 near Fruitland Road ) was empty and it had a "for lease" sign in the window. I wasn't sure if this was a chain-wide phenomenon or if it was just this one particular store.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rikriz View Post
    This afternoon, I visited my parents with my daughter and the Great Glasses store beside their condo ( in Stoney Creek on Highway 8 near Fruitland Road ) was empty and it had a "for lease" sign in the window. I wasn't sure if this was a chain-wide phenomenon or if it was just this one particular store.
    Hopefully it's the beginning of the end for this useless chain.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My father owns an optical store in Brantford, and he says it's business as usual at the great glasses store there....in fact he says they are flying a bunch balloons, almost like a grand opening.
    Surely , either the Optometric or Opticians Associations can shut them down for operating without a liscenced optician.

What judge has control over this case and when will there be a verdict??

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    My father owns an optical store in Brantford, and he says it's business as usual at the great glasses store there....in fact he says they are flying a bunch balloons, almost like a grand opening.
    Surely , either the Optometric or Opticians Associations can shut them down for operating without a liscenced optician.

The Association is scared. Organizing opticians to strike against the College & refuse to renew their licenses en mass is the only thing that would get enough attention to bring the needed pressure. All they have to do is get opticians to hold back their December renewals until the Colleges and Ministers get the idea that we have had enough , But as you may have noticed our "voices " are silent at both levels .

Occupation
    Optical Retail

There has already been a verdict . He lost , but he is still open . The Colleges and the judges have learned nothing . They should have put him in jail the first time they were hauling him away for contempt. Instead they weakened and backed off .

Occupation
    See link below...

In addition to not being able to stop this moron from operating, here are 3 classic examples all rolled into 1! - cart before the horse, trigger happy and how to ruffle the government's feathers.

A couple of points that stand out:
    • Way to go Jeff F. and COO Committee for jumping the gun, peeing off the government and taking us all 3 steps backward - Great Job!..........NOT! :hammer:
    • The COO changed the rules to suit them without official governemt approval :finger:
    • There is now a two tier system for standard for refraction. It seems the first opticians that were quick out of the gate have been grandfathered and remain with 'approval for refraction' status
    Just when we all thought things were getting clearer...

The Ontario Optician's weather forecast...hazy, hot, humid, dazed and confused.

I'm going to petition the FOX Network to see if they can turn this into a reality TV show.

The Ministry's response to the COO on the link below.

http://www.ontario-opticians.com/Ltt...016%202009.pdf

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    See link below...

In addition to not being able to stop this moron from operating, here are 3 classic examples all rolled into 1! - cart before the horse, trigger happy and how to ruffle the government's feathers.

A couple of points that stand out:
    • Way to go Jeff F. and COO Committee for jumping the gun, peeing off the government and taking us all 3 steps backward - Great Job!..........NOT! :hammer:
    • The COO changed the rules to suit them without official governemt approval :finger:
    • There is now a two tier system for standard for refraction. It seems the first opticians that were quick out of the gate have been grandfathered and remain with 'approval for refraction' status
    Just when we all thought things were getting clearer...

The Ontario Optician's weather forecast...hazy, hot, humid, dazed and confused.

I'm going to petition the FOX Network to see if they can turn this into a reality TV show.

The Ministry's response to the COO on the link below.

http://www.ontario-opticians.com/Ltt...016%202009.pdf

Their actions , look , smell , and sound like something " B " would do . Now isn't that a funny coincidence . And where oh where, would all those closed stores be ? Where would the Disciplinary hearing results be ?

And where oh where would the formal application for a S.O.P. change be ?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    Their actions , look , smell , and sound like something " B " would do . Now isn't that a funny coincidence . And where oh where, would all those closed stores be ? Where would the Disciplinary hearing results be ?

And where oh where would the formal application for a S.O.P. change be ?
    Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just emailed Steve Buist , he's an investigative editor for the Hamilton spectator. His Reply.....

"The final verdict has been delivered. Basically, by refusing to hear his appeal, it means that all the previous court decisions stand. The various agencies are free to take whatever action they deem necessary.

So now it's up to someone, at some level, to begin the process of enforcing the judgment. You'd have to ask the Ministry of the Attorney General why it hasn't begun enforcement, and you'd have to ask the College of Opticians what it plans to do."

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm.

If you look at the disciplinary section of the College web site there is a very interesting trend . When a fine or penalty is handed out it seems that COO feels the need to interest free finance the offenders by giving them very generoous extended payment plans .

I guess it is deemed to be politically correct to use legal opticians funds to finance the offenders .

Pretty much sucks , that we should reward them . But then I am old school .

Occupation
    If you look at the disciplinary section of the College web site there is a very interesting trend . When a fine or penalty is handed out it seems that COO feels the need to interest free finance the offenders by giving them very generoous extended payment plans .

I guess it is deemed to be politically correct to use legal opticians funds to finance the offenders .

Pretty much sucks , that we should reward them . But then I am old school .
    Now I know who to call if I ever need another loan! Canada's best kept secret.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Now I know who to call if I ever need another loan! Canada's best kept secret.

I wonder what FINANCE PLAN they are going to offer Mr Embarrassment ? Not to worry though , I am sure he will appeal it and I am equally sure that our two "VOICES" will NOT STAND UP and object .

Whoops, it is the same people . Those that are here are there . That explains the silence across the nation .

Occupation
    I wonder what FINANCE PLAN they are going to offer Mr Embarrassment ? Not to worry though , I am sure he will appeal it and I am equally sure that our two "VOICES" will NOT STAND UP and object .

Whoops, it is the same people . Those that are here are there . That explains the silence across the nation .
    We have two voices??? You're kidding! Wow, I feel so much better now.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I just emailed Steve Buist , he's an investigative editor for the Hamilton spectator. His Reply.....

"The final verdict has been delivered. Basically, by refusing to hear his appeal, it means that all the previous court decisions stand. The various agencies are free to take whatever action they deem necessary.

So now it's up to someone, at some level, to begin the process of enforcing the judgment. You'd have to ask the Ministry of the Attorney General why it hasn't begun enforcement, and you'd have to ask the College of Opticians what it plans to do."

Think about it . They are concerned with collection of fines and penalties. How will you sieze anything if there is nothing to seize ? You can only seize the assets of the party covered by the legal document. How many stores are there ? How many were ever sued ? How many are seperate entities ? Have they pierced the corporate veil ?

Keep this in mind , If something is not part of the solution then it might be part of the problem.

The part you see is only the illusion. The diversion.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Be nice EyeMan, if you join one then you automatically have dual membership. As one is made up of the other , though, I can't see how they can list that as a "membership benefit" . It is just a redundant duplication. Redundancy belongs on airplanes .

Our airplane is going nowhere , there is no pilot and there is no navigator .

If you are a member , by the way, be careful what you say , you might violate what you signed on the bottom of the membership agreement. You just won't have the distinction of being the first one to be bounced .
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 08-26-2009 at 06:27 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Will this make you feel even better ?

When you pay your membership dues to the one organization, you also get a "Membership Benefit " called "dual membership" . Now both organizations maintain the expense of running a web page & internet presence . Your membership funds the maintanece of these web pages on the internet. The same thing happens with the COO. Your fees are funding COO's web presence.

Now as pointed out, our licensing fees , are funding interest free, extended payment plans to offenders of COO regulations . Take a close look on COO's web pages , at the list of offenders names and the company names involved .

Now look at the classified for sale sections of some other web pages and see if you recognize some similiar names, look at the email addresses too . Who's fees ar funding those ads on those web pages ? Who pays for the maintenance of those sites ? Look carefully at both back and forth .

Check the trade rags too .

Would a fair conclusion be that Members are financing their own competition and their own offenders ?

Try speaking out about it and see what happens .

Occupation
    Will this make you feel even better ?

When you pay your membership dues to the one organization, you also get a "Membership Benefit " called "dual membership" . Now both organizations maintain the expense of running a web page & internet presence . Your membership funds the maintanece of these web pages on the internet. The same thing happens with the COO. Your fees are funding COO's web presence.

Now as pointed out, our licensing fees , are funding interest free, extended payment plans to offenders of COO regulations . Take a close look on COO's web pages , at the list of offenders names and the company names involved .

Now look at the classified for sale sections of some other web pages and see if you recognize some similiar names, look at the email addresses too . Who's fees ar funding those ads on those web pages ? Who pays for the maintenance of those sites ? Look carefully at both back and forth .

Check the trade rags too .

Would a fair conclusion be that Members are financing their own competition and their own offenders ?

Try speaking out about it and see what happens .
    Optical politics at its best! Administrative changes at all levels with both organizations have been required and necessary for years now. But, as usual, nothing ever happens and the blind continue to lead the blind.

Now, back to chasing my tail and watching Romper Room.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Optical politics at its best! Administrative changes at all levels with both organizations have been required and necessary for years now. But, as usual, nothing ever happens and the blind continue to lead the blind.

Now, back to chasing my tail and watching Romper Room.
    At least Romper Room has a beginning and an end or you can change the channel and watch "As My Stomach Turns "

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"The final verdict has been delivered. Basically, by refusing to hear his appeal, it means that all the previous court decisions stand.The various agencies are free to take whatever action they deem necessary.

Can't we get someone in the association to phone the attorney generals office? What about the court costs the association has ran up...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Can't we get someone in the association to phone the attorney generals office? What about the court costs the association has ran up...

What court costs does the Association have ? They didn't do anything .

Occupation
    What court costs does the Association have ? They didn't do anything .
    Dire Straits - 'Money for Nothin'. I'm just curious...When do the chicks come for free??

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Dire Straits - 'Money for Nothin'. I'm just curious...When do the chicks come for free??
    What does that mean , Eyeman?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

The College may have some court costs that they will be passing onto us , but why would the Association have any ?

Anyone including yourself can call the Attorney General's office .

Occupation
    What does that mean , Eyeman?
    Are you serious??? Surely you've heard that song at least once in your life.

'Money for nothing'...refer to court, legal and any other affiliated costs paid by COO and OOA to fight GG. May I remind that it is our money as members that funded this battle without results???

The nothing is self explanatory and exactly that. No results. Where are we at today? Still no resolution, they continue to operate and he still walks the streets while laughing at all of this.

Thread Information