Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great Glasses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    Like when did they ever make a comment ? Are they even in the country ? Did you see their almost $ 80,000.oo "external relations" expense ? And where is the public awarness advertising ? They are too busy flitting around the world .
    The college doesn't exist for the promotion of the profession, if you want public awareness and advertising talk to your association - thats just not in the mandate of a regulatory college.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    The college doesn't exist for the promotion of the profession, if you want public awareness and advertising talk to your association - thats just not in the mandate of a regulatory college.

The College has a duty to protect the public , which includes warning the public which thereby includes advertising.

Does the College mandate include world travel ?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The College has a duty to protect the public , which includes warning the public which thereby includes advertising.

Compared to the COO, the OD College has been doing a much better job raising public awareness about the illegal eye exams.

The COO has done diddly squat and is of serious concern. Their mandate is to first and foremost protect the public, regardless of the status of the current situation. They have failed miserably to do so. And at the same time, have kept their members uninformed and have learned they are having secret confidential meetings???

When you are obliged to follow governement legislation and protect the public, receive 100% of your revenue from your own members, there is no such thing as confidential. Shame, shame, shame.:finger:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    Compared to the COO, the OD College has been doing a much better job raising public awareness about the illegal eye exams.

The COO has done diddly squat and is of serious concern. Their mandate is to first and foremost protect the public, regardless of the status of the current situation. They have failed miserably to do so. And at the same time, have kept their members uninformed and have learned they are having secret confidential meetings???

When you are obliged to follow governement legislation and protect the public, receive 100% of your revenue from your own members, there is no such thing as confidential. Shame, shame, shame.:finger:

A lot of heads have rolled recently over expense accounts in health organizations . I wonder what is lurking in their "the 80,000.00 "external relations " expense

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post

Actually , what is less than "diddly squat" ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Is anti-protection a word in the dictionary ?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just as a follow up to my first post here (ie- the second post in this thread) for those who are interested:

Out of curiosity, I went up to the now-empty Great Glasses location on Highway 8 near Fruitland Road because I noticed that there was a paper taped on the front door. It was a notice from the landlord saying that they were in arrears on their rental payments in the amount of $2600 and that's why they were kicked out. Is it just me, or does $2600 sound like a relatively small amount of money from a business perspective when you're talking about getting evicted? I don't know, it just seemed strange to me. Does this seem suspicious to anyone else?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rikriz View Post
    Just as a follow up to my first post here (ie- the second post in this thread) for those who are interested:

Out of curiosity, I went up to the now-empty Great Glasses location on Highway 8 near Fruitland Road because I noticed that there was a paper taped on the front door. It was a notice from the landlord saying that they were in arrears on their rental payments in the amount of $2600 and that's why they were kicked out. Is it just me, or does $2600 sound like a relatively small amount of money from a business perspective when you're talking about getting evicted? I don't know, it just seemed strange to me. Does this seem suspicious to anyone else?
    Doesn't sound like much but how many previous times was the rent late? Is the store empty of everything or are there fixtures inside?

Occupation
    Optometrist

I'd rather see the college use its money to prosecute illegal practice, rather than on advertising campaigns. World travel, I see how travel is important at times, but 80k is pretty excessive.

Occupation
    Actually , what is less than "diddly squat" ?
    What is less than notta, butkis, diddly, zilch, zero, goose egg, big donut??? If there were such a thing, it would be measured in COO units.

Occupation
    Is anti-protection a word in the dictionary ?
    You can apply anti on just about any noun.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    I'd rather see the college use its money to prosecute illegal practice, rather than on advertising campaigns. World travel, I see how travel is important at times, but 80k is pretty excessive.

Prosecuting it would be one thing , but afer they prosecute ,then they feel "sorry" & give the offender an interest free, extended payment plan .

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com
    Doesn't sound like much but how many previous times was the rent late? Is the store empty of everything or are there fixtures inside?
    That's a good point about if they've been late on rent payments before. As far as the store is concerned, it is completely empty. Nothing but four walls, a floor and a ceiling...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rikriz View Post
    That's a good point about if they've been late on rent payments before. As far as the store is concerned, it is completely empty. Nothing but four walls, a floor and a ceiling...

Could have just been a bad location that they wanted out of anyway and the closeure may not be related to the actual court case . Not every store can be a success. A closed store may just be a learning process .

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Store closed for contempt actions in the past

From 2004 newsletter of College of Opticians for unauthorized practice. It appears that action - forcing store to close no less - was taken in the past for dispensing without a license / contempt of court action. It is baffling that no action seems possible in this case, although in this case it is a corporation with alot more cash and not just a lone individual. (But again look how long it did take before action was taken - contempts in '95 & '98 - final action in 2004).
    From their website, the College of Opticians has been aggressive in the past in persecuting non-licensed individuals working independent stores for dispensing (has its own section on the website - UAP). From reports, GG locations do not have any licensed ECP, yet no action has been taken by the college of opticians in these cases. Have things changed regarding unathourized practice?

September 22, 2004

On September 22, 2004,
    Henry Karreman was found in contempt of two previous court orders. As a result, Mr.Karreman has been fined $10,000.00, must permanently close the Streetsville Eye Care store and remove all stock furnishings in it or sell the store and it’s contents by September 30, 2004 and pay the College’s legal costs for the motion in the amount of $36, 795.05. Mr. Karreman must also comply with the previous court orders obtained against him (on which this contempt motion was based) in 1995 and 1998.

Last edited by NorthStar; 09-23-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: addition

Thread Information