Thread: Questions and an apology

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Questions and an apology

First the apology. When I went to register, it said that if you are not an optical professional, then not to register and it was possible to post in this sub-forum. I must have been missing something, because I saw no way to do that. So I registered and had to lie that I am currently a professional in the field. I will ask my question in this part of the forums only though, unless someone tells me I can post it elsewhere. I am a little concerned that not as many people will see my question in this area as in the main forums. I apologize for the lie.

OK, here is my situation and my questions. I just turned 55 last month and had moved to Greenville SC from Traverse City MI last Dec. It's a longish story which I won't go into, but since I have been here, I have only been working a pt job and I really need to make a change. I went into the local technical college to talk to them about their Ophthalmic Medical Assistant program, but it does not begin until Jan. The woman I spoke with did mention the Dispensing Optician program though, which is a three month program starting next month. It sounds interesting to me, but I do have some concerns, which I am hoping I can get some input on from those of you working in the field. Here goes:

1) Will my age make it difficult for me to find a job?

2) How good do I have to be at math to be a dispensing optician? The woman I spoke with said, people doing the job said they don't really use much math, but I'm wondering if that is true.

3) Is it unusual for DO to have to use magnifiers to do things such as put in screws and such? I might have to use one to do very small things.

4) If I did this program, I will probably stay in SC for a year or so, but I may want to move back to MI or to another state and I have seen mention that some states require a DO to be licensed, but I have not seen a list of those states. Is there a list somewhere?

5) From what I am seeing, people get trained for this job in many different ways, from on the job training to a two year degree program. The program I am considering is three months, actually three nights a week during that time. Does that actually give me a leg up as far as getting a job?

6) If I do this, (and I am starting to get excited about it), where will I find most jobs? I really don't mind working an evening or two during the week and an occasional Sat. but I don't want to find myself in a retail situation such as LensCrafters, or Walmart. Before anyone jumps on me about that, I worked until recently, pretty much seven days a week between two jobs and I want more normal hours now. So............... how hard is it to find jobs in an office setting?

7) Job openings. Is it difficult or fairly easy in most parts of the country to find a job?

8) Wages........... I know it can vary from place to place, but the sheet I was given for SC said the minimum per hour here is $12.50, the max is $18.00 and the average is $15.25. Do those figures seem high, or low to you as far as what I could expect pay wise. I am divorced and so the sole wage earner and need to be able to make a wage I can live on.

If I were to end up moving, it would probably be back to Northern Michigan, elsewhere in SC or to TX. Or I may just stay here. Greenville is a really nice town.

Anyways, any help or guidance you can give me would be most appreciated. Thank you!

- Nancy

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Don't look back.

Licenses Dispensing Opticians pays very well in Licenses states. You can almost always find a position. If you are going to get into the optical field, get a licenses. You will find corrections for your eye problem along the way. (That's what we do). Part of the opticians course will be to learn and practice lots of math. You will get good at math. Continue to seek advice, along your journey on this Optiboard. There are some very knowledgeable people here that can provide answers to any optical question.
    \

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Michigan is not a liscensed state but a certified optician with experience has an edge on the good job openings. The pay you state is about right for here plus benefits and sometimes bonuses. It isn't hard at all to find a job if you are over 50 in this business if you look good, are professional and confident. You don't have to be a mathmetician to be an optician but you do have to be at least able to do the basics. Much of it is applied math so easy to understand after a bit. Funny about the magnifiers. It's fine to use whatever you need but you will no doubt be wearing the correct lenses if you are in the business. So I say if the optical field interests you then go for it and have fun.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks to both of you for your responses. That helps. I hope I get some other answers too. As far as wearing the correct lenses, I suppose that might be true, but I tried bifocals twice and never adjusted to them. My ophthalmologist in TC said some people never do. I have my glasses off a lot of the time. As you say though, that might well change! ;)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rapunzll View Post
    First the apology. When I went to register, it said that if you are not an optical professional, then not to register and it was possible to post in this sub-forum
    And yet you ignore the forum rules and warning and did this anyway.

As per the OptiBoard Posting Guidelines:

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information