Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Delivered my first Essilor 360 DS FT 28

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ezrich View Post
    my essilor rep will be in tomorrow to talk about the ft 360
    Let me know what they tell you since my rep told me that they would never market a FT in any form and that they would rather have everyone in a progressive. I also looked back in the press releases and the what's new section of their site and get nothing. Matter of fact the only references I see to a FT 360 when doing a google search is Barry on multiple sites refering to this lens as far as I know it does not exist.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    Let me know what they tell you since my rep told me that they would never market a FT in any form and that they would rather have everyone in a progressive. I also looked back in the press releases and the what's new section of their site and get nothing. Matter of fact the only references I see to a FT 360 when doing a google search is Barry on multiple sites refering to this lens as far as I know it does not exist.
    My Essilor rep confiormed it today. It is also available as a selection on VisionWeb.

It DOES exist.
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    It's available in CR39 or poly. Front is spherical, back is aspheric but not atoric.
    Robert,

A highly-placed technical guy at Essilor said:

"SV360 is an aspheric/atoric single vision lens, which reduces marginal astigmatism, distortion, and sphere error. Its digitally surfaced, and in some materials is bi-aspheric/atoric"

FWIW

Barry

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    My Essilor rep confiormed it today. It is also available as a selection on VisionWeb.

It DOES exist.
    My rep did not and it's not a selection at either one of my labs of which one is an ELOA lab (Not in VW either). Did their marketing machine finally conk out?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My rep did not and it's not a selection at either one of my labs of which one is an ELOA lab (Not in VW either). Did their marketing machine finally conk out?
    Don't know. Maybe they don't want to promote lined bifocals?

...Just ask me...

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    Don't know. Maybe they don't want to promote lined bifocals?

Wow, that's what my rep said as to the reason why she believed that there was no such thing and never would be. This board seems to be ahead of the curve.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Robert,

A highly-placed technical guy at Essilor said:

"SV360 is an aspheric/atoric single vision lens, which reduces marginal astigmatism, distortion, and sphere error. Its digitally surfaced, and in some materials is bi-aspheric/atoric"

FWIW

Barry
    An aspheric front would be helpful on plus powers. I'm reasonably sure that the bifocal version is aspheric back only like their PALs(exception Ipseo): a "global tweak" to minimize power error or marginal astigmatism, but not both.

Matter of fact the only references I see to a FT 360 when doing a google search is Barry on multiple sites refering to this lens
    Right. Now do a search on "Barry Santini" and see what you come up with.

BTW, it took about 45 seconds to dig this up.

http://www.tagteam.com/TagTeam/Clien...oupids=44370,0#

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An aspheric front would be helpful on plus powers. I'm reasonably sure that the bifocal version is aspheric back only like their PALs(exception Ipseo): a "global tweak" to minimize power error or marginal astigmatism, but not both.
    Robert

Are you saying that this technology IS NOT Atoric?

Please confirm.

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert

Are you saying that this technology IS NOT Atoric?

Please confirm.

Barry
    Barry,

I haven't inquired about their SV lenses (I'm using the Autograph II SV for the few moderate to high cyl SV Rxs that I receive), but outside of their SV lenses, I've been told that the only Essilor (in the U.S.) lens that has an atoroidal surface is the Ipseo. That doesn't make the 360 and Definity bad lenses of course, but if I had an Rx with over two to three diopters of cylinder (depending on the axis) I'd look for designs that were strictly atoric. I believe that some versions of Varilux's Ideal lens will use atoricity. The only atoric D seg that I'm aware of is from Optical Dynamics (cast lenses). Check your inbox for a PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert is, as always and of course, was correct about the Essilor 360 DS SV & FT bifocals:

They are aspheric optimized, but not atoric, at least from another technical source at Essilor

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How many people understand what "360" means? My understanding is that it represents surfacing front and back of the lens. Now if you are going to digitally surface the side of the flat top bifocal then what would happen to the bifocal? It will go away.
    So can the term 360 apply to a flat top? I think not. BUT, the term digitally surfaced can be applied to any type bifocal when the surfacing is being done on the opposite side of the seg.
    So can digitally surfaced and 360 be applied to the same lens? As in a single vision? Can both be applied to bifocal/progressive?
    Some clarification here would be good. Preferably coming from a qualified reliable source.
    Some understanding of terminology and where it would apply would go a long way.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Hey Robert,

Ref to what a "expert" is'

It can also be just a "drip under pressure." (this is in no way reference to you sir)

Just trying to make a chuckle or two here.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    How many people understand what "360" means? My understanding is that it represents surfacing front and back of the lens. Now if you are going to digitally surface the side of the flat top bifocal then what would happen to the bifocal? It will go away.
    So can the term 360 apply to a flat top? I think not. BUT, the term digitally surfaced can be applied to any type bifocal when the surfacing is being done on the opposite side of the seg.
    So can digitally surfaced and 360 be applied to the same lens? As in a single vision? Can both be applied to bifocal/progressive?
    Some clarification here would be good. Preferably coming from a qualified reliable source.
    Some understanding of terminology and where it would apply would go a long way.

Essilor's term "360" only refers to their digital surfacing (back side). A good example is a Physio 360. The only difference is (backside) digital surfacing. They use a standard Physio blank to make a 360 series. Hence, the laser engrave on a 360 and regular Physio are identical.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The optician from my main office called me earlier today to inform me of a patient that I had recommended the 360 DS FT 28. He indicated to her that he did not know exactly what I had done to the lens(around +10.00 w/ cyl) but that he could see much clearer than his previous pair(similar Rx). Took a while to get it ordered since the lab told the optician it did not exist but fortunately Vision Web was on our side and it was listed. Thanks for the insight/comments Barry, it helped to please a patient in NC today.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020idock View Post
    The optician from my main office called me earlier today to inform me of a patient that I had recommended the 360 DS FT 28. He indicated to her that he did not know exactly what I had done to the lens(around +10.00 w/ cyl) but that he could see much clearer than his previous pair(similar Rx). Took a while to get it ordered since the lab told the optician it did not exist but fortunately Vision Web was on our side and it was listed. Thanks for the insight/comments Barry, it helped to please a patient in NC today.
    Did they use a Super Mod or a front spherical blank? Any clues as to the surface design on his old glasses? I might have to start passing out drool buckets for these clients if I can get very high plus segmented lenses optimized.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I just got a pair of SV 360's back for myself. Poly, low myope, half diopter cyl and a touch of sph OD, just sph OS. It's not like I can walk on water now, but there is a observable improvement vs. the three other pair of the same but non digital.
    Its great to know how it does in low RX's. Could you post your actual RX for reference?

Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sure - I'm OD -1.50 -0.75 X 173 OD -0.75 Sph. SV 360 poly, w/ Avancé.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Yeah, I tried my first pair of the Single Vision 360 recently. SV Poly with Forte (I usually get 1.67, but that is the way my old man ordered them for me). I forget my rx, but is it around -5.50 in both eyes sphere with around a -0.50 cyl.

Compared to the exact same RX in other pairs, I do notice a difference. It is not a WOW difference, but it is a definite difference. Everything appears more shiny, which is the best way to explain it. It is like before there was a very thin, clear, veil that just made things duller. But with this lens, things are clearer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Increased contrast sensitivity. It appears that this is improved something in the neighborhood of 10-20% over a traditionally surfaced lens??

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How much is this gem retailing for?

The client had 1.00D cyl ou.

He LOVED THEM!

If you haven't gotten started with non-progressive DS lenses, why not start today?

"nuff said!

Barry

It seems to be the consensus with this little gem, pts seem to like them.

What is the retail cost of these lenses? I saw one place that posted 250 including Avance is this a fair price? Those of you that have sold or are planning to use this lens what will you be charging?

My rep is finally getting to me but only after I contacted him after reading this post. Can't wait for this meeting.

Chrome Surfer.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Apparently Essilor quickly discontinued the 360 Bifocal. Is there any similar FT product available?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardc View Post
    Apparently Essilor quickly discontinued the 360 Bifocal. Is there any similar FT product available?
    Was it called Essilor Bifocal AB FT28?
    If it is its still available.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ive now completely switched to Hoya ST28 IQ, which also includes trivex as a material choice.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ive now completely switched to Hoya ST28 IQ, which also includes trivex as a material choice.

B
    Barry,

I ordered one last week.

-6.50 +3.50 x 85 Add 2.25 Trivex

-6.75 +3.50 x 95

The lens is aspheric/atoric, with a real-time, off-axis only Rx optimization that uses default POW values. I'm not sure if the software can compensate for flatter than normal BCs, and I believe the flattest BC for Trivex is only +2.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry,

I ordered one last week.

-6.50 +3.50 x 85 Add 2.25 Trivex

-6.75 +3.50 x 95

The lens is aspheric/atoric, with a real-time, off-axis only Rx optimization that uses default POW values. I'm not sure if the software can compensate for flatter than normal BCs, and I believe the flattest BC for Trivex is only +2.
    Ordering through DVI, Robert, I always added in POW values. Are you sure supplied POW are not used?

I've noticed the "best form" BC are employed, which means that these are steeper than the Essilor Poly AB FT 28 version.

Barry

Thread Information