Thread: Anyone else see the Perseid Meteors?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thumbs up Anyone else see the Perseid Meteors?

My wife & I went out on the deck last night at 3:00am, laid back on the deck chairs, and watched meteors for about 40 minutes. At the final tally, I think we tallied up somewhere between 30-40 streaks between us (the meteors, not us).

Unfortunately, the moon was fairly bright (but one of our trees nicely blocked it from direct view). Most of the meteors were uneventful and short-lived, but at least 3 left "fairy dust" in their wake, and one or two were just "pops" (looked like a big star winked on for a moment or two). We also saw a "jumper" (flashed on and off as it went across the sky- I'm told that's caused by a meteor that bounces off the atmosphere). One of us mistook a small airplane for a jumper, but I won't name names (but it wasn't me ;^). "Honey, that's an airplane." (Some moments in a marriage are just so special- I will say the plane had a white blinking light... the red one wasn't visible for some reason 8^).

The sky was clear in Dallas by that time of night (cloudy at midnight), and the temp was perfect for sitting out in shorts and t-shirts. We noticed the meteors came in "bunches" (we'd see 4 in one minute, and then not see another for 4-5 minutes).

All in all, a lot of fun! I've never sat out and watched a meteor shower before- but I'd highly recommend it! I understand the next major shower is expected in November (the Leonids). The moon will be dark for that one this year (but it might be a bit chillier)!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We went out about midnight but it was mostly cloudy. We looked for about 10 minutes and didn't see anything. Maybe we should have tried longer.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I blew it!

I cane home from work ate and fell asleep!!!!!!Missing it all. A friend of mine said he watch for about 15min. and saw nothing. This is in NY. I told him he gave up to fast. Boy I mad I missed it !!!!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Saw a few....but nothing like when I was a kid....

When I was 10 or 11(1951 or so) I witnessed a rare occurence that only happens ever so many years. It was a crystal clear night and I was camping out on the lawn in Watch Hill Rhode Island. The meteors fell at the rate of about 200 an hour starting at about midnight. Apparently there are denser clouds of debris from the parent comet which the earth passes through on regular cycles which account for the increased amount of meteors. We've been through it a few times since then but the clouds have obscured my view ever since. (that's New England for you!) It was something to see. A few years ago we got up early one December morning to see the Leonid shower which was also pretty incredible. If memory serves, Sean did the same and I think there's a thread in our archives.....I'll check it out!

PS found it.....shows how the memory plays tricks on codgers! It was November, not December and it was reasonably cold that morning.
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3333&highlight=Leonid+meteors
    Last edited by hcjilson; 08-12-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Added PS
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Too cloudy in suburban Philly.
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Central Wis. around 1:30am i spent 20 mins & only saw 4. I was disappointed because the sky was clear, clear, clear. But did see a huge Buck near the garden. He's mine come Nov.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Over the years I've seen a couple very bright ones that streak across the sky and leave a huge trail. Leonids, Gemenids, and Perseids all put on a good show.

Thread Information