Thread: Need advice - purchasing new edger/tracer

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Need advice - purchasing new edger/tracer

I am getting ready to purchase a new tracer but am unsure of which one to get and if I should go ahead and get a new edger to go with it. Any input is appreciated.
    Currently using National Optronics Horizon III Edger with a Saturn NP Tracer. The problem is that the tracer will not due B's smaller than a 28 and all parts are extinct. The Edger is ancient as well so parts are scarce and it will not do smaller than a 24 B. We would also like to do our own drill mounts. The idea is to do as much as possible in house. Now in saying all this we are an Ophthalmology practice and currently only run about 15-20 jobs per week.
    What are your suggestions or ideas in the way of equipment types? Should I get a seperate drilling system or a new edger with drilling capabilities? A new tracer and edger but keep sending drill jobs out? Thanks for any and all input.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Strab View Post
    I am getting ready to purchase a new tracer but am unsure of which one to get and if I should go ahead and get a new edger to go with it. Any input is appreciated.
    Currently using National Optronics Horizon III Edger with a Saturn NP Tracer. The problem is that the tracer will not due B's smaller than a 28 and all parts are extinct. The Edger is ancient as well so parts are scarce and it will not do smaller than a 24 B. We would also like to do our own drill mounts. The idea is to do as much as possible in house. Now in saying all this we are an Ophthalmology practice and currently only run about 15-20 jobs per week.
    What are your suggestions or ideas in the way of equipment types? Should I get a seperate drilling system or a new edger with drilling capabilities? A new tracer and edger but keep sending drill jobs out? Thanks for any and all input.
    I suggest you give me a call in the morning

We have all makes and models of patternless edgers at the lowest prices. All our edgers come with full warranty and lifetime phone support. Check out our website at www.patternless.com
    I can even give you a trade in credit on your old edger.
    I look forward to speaking with you.

Thank You,
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I own a small dispensary in a mall in Canada. I bought a Kappa CTD and do all my own drill jobs and can edge lenses for any frame with a min. 18mm "B" measurement.
    The edger was pretty expensive(60K) but I feel it has given me a decent edge over the competition. I stock 30-40 silhouette frames and some adidas, as well as some Marchon Airlock 2's. This edger and tracer is spot on for accuracy. I have done a refraction, frame selection, and made a pair of Silhouette eyeglasses in just under an hour.....:D

Not sure it's for everyone but it works for me, and I do love this machine!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can vouch for Leo at VSI. I have bought 2 kappa's from him, and will go back to them again when needed. The 2 I bought were almost half of what I spent on a brand new edger fron Gerber.

By the way, he's got it all, not just the Gerbers, but whatever you want.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Same Here. Listen to Leo. They also give great support after the sale.:cheers:

Occupation
    Ditto what OBX and Partyoptician said

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Thanks for the help and the references. I just called Leo and look forward to working with him. :)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Not sure if you have already made a purchase. If you have not I think you should consider a new product that we are launching. I am Vice President Marketing of AIT. This new product is going to give you grooving, safety bevel and polished lenses at a very affordable price. You can go to 18.5mm on drill jobs, 19.5 on rimless groove and 20.5 on bevel jobs. If you are looking for less expensive we have fully warrantied Pre-owned and Factory Certified Machines.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any opinions on Sigma II edger?

Occupation
    Any opinions on Sigma II edger?
    ?? never heard of it.

Bad address email on file Smiley's Avatar
    Occupation
    Sorry, never heard of A Sigma II.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    I see and work with pretty much eveyones edgers, all over the eastern half of the country, and if you want a work horse edger, my favorite right now is the AIT Maxima Speede, everyone I know who has one loves it, and rarely has any down time due to edger problems. Just my .02 and I dont work of AIT

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hey there
    i am planning to buy nidek le1000 plus ice mini. any comments on that.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    It sounds like you need to consider another tracer, but I wondered if you tried to up-size the edged lens in the horizon III, for example 10mm, let the machine do its probing and edging cycle, then downsize the same lens, the edger will not re-probe the front of the lens, and you will be able to break the 28mm barrier. The Horizon III's are able to go down below a 28mm b measurement using this procedure.

Also note that as of the end of 2009, National Optronics will no longer support the Horizon III edgers. Not sure if anyone else will either, but thought you might want to know. The new optronics edgers do a better finish job, and the drilling makes it easy, should you care to purchase a new one.

If you purchase a new edger, we would appreciate it if you would consider selling us your old horizon III. The tracer has little or no value. david, 800-232-6784, portland oregon.

Thread Information