Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No identifying marks...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No identifying marks...

Hi guys and gals!

Do any of you know of any progressive lenses that do not have any identifying marks engraved on them?

Thanks in advance...hope you're all having a "Specs-tacular" day! ;)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    A lot of the low-end imports are that way as are some freeform.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Essilor do a Generic Progressive Lens that just has a little circle and the add engraved in it but no variation on their usual 'e' symbol.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If these are edged lenses, the markings may have been edged off.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Progressiv without marking ?

Any Progressiv without marking would be for the bin.
    Try your slit lamp, it might be that the Hardcoat has filled the engravings, the slit lamp could still show it. Try a UV light, some Progressives have an invisible UV stamp. Use an old type slide projector or a beamer, set it up a healthy distance off a white wall (no slide in) and hold the lens close to the screen/wall, surface imperfections will show up, like a shadowscope.
    Can't think of anything else.....wait, if it is a digital FreeForm it could also be that the Lab missed to apply the engraving before de-blocking.... is it a Digital Free Form?

Georg Mayer
    Rodenstock - Munich

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    If these are edged lenses, the markings may have been edged off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Georg Mayer View Post
    Any Progressiv without marking would be for the bin.
    Try your slit lamp, it might be that the Hardcoat has filled the engravings, the slit lamp could still show it. Try a UV light, some Progressives have an invisible UV stamp. Use an old type slide projector or a beamer, set it up a healthy distance off a white wall (no slide in) and hold the lens close to the screen/wall, surface imperfections will show up, like a shadowscope.
    Can't think of anything else.....wait, if it is a digital FreeForm it could also be that the Lab missed to apply the engraving before de-blocking.... is it a Digital Free Form?

Georg Mayer
    Rodenstock - Munich
    Hi! :)

Sorry, I should have clarified....I would like to find one to use that doesn't have identifying marks. (although, I do want a good quality lens, and preferrably something that has a not-so-slick ARC available)...(yep, I want it all!! :D)

I'm just so tired of the "branding", the drama and obvious lack of interest in independents. I would love to find a lens that is a "sleeping-giant", so to speak. I'd like to find a manufacturer that isn't involved with gobbling anyone up....they put their nose to the grind-stone, produce a good product, is proud of it, and stands behind it. Is it out there? Is it available in the USA?? Is it something I can afford to present to my patients??? I don't know, but if anyone has heard of anything, and is willing to share, I'd be interested in what you know.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would call one of your free-form, or digital processing, labs and ask if they could make your lenses without engraving them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I would call one of your free-form, or digital processing, labs and ask if they could make your lenses without engraving them.
    Never thought of that...I'll look into it, thanks Fezz! :cheers: Cheers!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    Never thought of that...I'll look into it, thanks Fezz! :cheers: Cheers!
    Do not forget to post back with their answers!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The lab in Dallas that I use for my freeform said they would RATHER make the lenses without the markings. That's how I like mine- pristine lenses without the (sometimes) annoying marks. Haven't had a customer complain, yet. Most of them didn't realize there were marks there before, or didn't care if they were there now, or were happy that there were no marks now. They said they normally still mark the lenses because several of their customers "want to be able to check the seg height". Personally, I've had no problems, and prefer them unmarked.
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

No branding, good lens, no super slick top coat..

Hi Heather,

sorry, got your question completely skew and went off in the wrong direction. If you haven't found a solution until December I can invite you to see Alan Yuster and me on our booth during the OLA 2009 exhibit/convention in Washington/DC this December. Most of the features you mentioned in your clarification post wish-list ring a bell with us.

Best regards

Georg Mayer
    Rodenstock - Munich

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hipoptical View Post
    The lab in Dallas that I use for my freeform said they would RATHER make the lenses without the markings. That's how I like mine- pristine lenses without the (sometimes) annoying marks. Haven't had a customer complain, yet. Most of them didn't realize there were marks there before, or didn't care if they were there now, or were happy that there were no marks now. They said they normally still mark the lenses because several of their customers "want to be able to check the seg height". Personally, I've had no problems, and prefer them unmarked.
    Thanks! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Mayer View Post
    Hi Heather,

sorry, got your question completely skew and went off in the wrong direction. If you haven't found a solution until December I can invite you to see Alan Yuster and me on our booth during the OLA 2009 exhibit/convention in Washington/DC this December. Most of the features you mentioned in your clarification post wish-list ring a bell with us.

Best regards

Georg Mayer
    Rodenstock - Munich
    Thanks Georg...I'll keep that date in mind and see what I can do...till then, I'll keep searching. :)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm just so tired of the "branding", the drama and obvious lack of interest in independents. I would love to find a lens that is a "sleeping-giant", so to speak. I'd like to find a manufacturer that isn't involved with gobbling anyone up....they put their nose to the grind-stone, produce a good product, is proud of it, and stands behind it. Is it out there? Is it available in the USA?? Is it something I can afford to present to my patients??? I don't know, but if anyone has heard of anything, and is willing to share, I'd be interested in what you know.
    Well, there are lenses that in my opinion fit that criteria but they do have markings. I'm not sure what the big deal is about the engravings.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who would hold an expo or whatever in Washington, DC? Absolutely no one trusts anything that comes out of DC anymore, if they ever did.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Borysko View Post
    Well, there are lenses that in my opinion fit that criteria but they do have markings. I'm not sure what the big deal is about the engravings.
    Not a big deal, just a personal decision.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It fell off a truck...What luck...

Hi! :)

When I worked in the big city a cabbie, Shorty was his name, would come in now and then and offer us terrific deals on Izod and Polo shirts he had in the trunk of his cab. He also had "Rolex" watches and stuff like that. Come to think of it they always felt warm er, hot as a matter of fact, but Mr Mac and I never asked where he got them. Some questions are best left unasked if you know what I mean.

So in answer to your question you may find a lens like this but it's probably going to be a counterfeit from more than likely the Far East unless you can get the US government to change the patent laws imo.

Even the last great independent rifleman Lucas McCain couldn't escape being "branded".:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see your point, and counterfeit is absolutely NOT what I'm looking for here.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So Heather, if I understand correctly you're looking for a company that:

• Has invested heavily in r&d to produce a great lens but has decided not to market it or brand it in any way

• Has decided to make it impossible for anyone but the initial dispenser to identify the lens

• Won't make acquisitions even when doing so would clearly benefit the company and its investors

• Has still managed to somehow become a "sleeping giant" even though you, a working optician who seems intelligent and involved in the industry, has never heard of them

Good luck with that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Borysko View Post
    So Heather, if I understand correctly you're looking for a company that:

• Has invested heavily in r&d to produce a great lens but has decided not to market it or brand it in any way

• Has decided to make it impossible for anyone but the initial dispenser to identify the lens

• Won't make acquisitions even when doing so would clearly benefit the company and its investors

• Has still managed to somehow become a "sleeping giant" even though you, a working optician who seems intelligent and involved in the industry, has never heard of them
    Good luck with that.
    I've explained my reasons, and apparently since you don't agree or understand, you feel the need to be sarcastic. Like many of us, I come here to ask questions and find answers, and hopefully help someone else when they have questions.

Relax, buddy...I'm just asking a question. ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Heather, try the Seiko freeforms. The only markings they have are to identify different materials... atleast, that's how they come to me from my lab.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the lenses have no engravings then how do you remark them? Sometimes I want to remark the lenses, for example if a patient is having problems.

And I love the new super slick coats on AR. So much easier to clean and care for and they STAY clean. Why would you not want to sell that to your patients?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Heather, try the Seiko freeforms. The only markings they have are to identify different materials... atleast, that's how they come to me from my lab.
    Thanks AdmiralKnight!

I've just started using these...I ordered 3 pr (for different pts) last week and dispensed them throughout this week (last one picked up this AM)...everyone has loved them. And, yes, that is how they come from my lab as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    If the lenses have no engravings then how do you remark them? Sometimes I want to remark the lenses, for example if a patient is having problems.

And I love the new super slick coats on AR. So much easier to clean and care for and they STAY clean. Why would you not want to sell that to your patients?
    Hi HappyLady!

Your right, the lenses would have to have the engravings at the nasal and temporal side so I can (or another ECP) can mark them up.

As far as the slick coat...I agree, I like that, too and offer it as well...but some of the slick AR's are SO slick, they deblock or slip on my edger, that's the part I'm trying to stay away from...just creates money wasted and time lost.

It's funny there seems to be a "slickness scale" with AR coatings (not-slick...not-too-slick...slick...pretty-slick...holy-cow-that-thing-won't-stay-blocked slick) :D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Use true Free Form lenses- They are marked after they are processed. The ones I have experience with are Zeiss and Shamir. Do your research and find a lab that will work with you. I think you will find what you are looking for.

35% of our progressive sales are in True Free Form. Offer the best and you will set yourself apart.

PS- Do not markup these lenses like you do the rest- They should be more, but within reason. Educate and the price will be an easy step.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi guys and gals!

Do any of you know of any progressive lenses that do not have any identifying marks engraved on them?
    The absence of standardized reference marks would make it impossible to fit the lens properly, i.e. verify the fitting cross position to the ordered parameters and to the proper position in front of the eyes, verify Rx prism, unwanted prism, and the presence and degree of prism thinning (essential for single lens replacements).
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    The absence of standardized reference marks would make it impossible to fit the lens properly, i.e. verify the fitting cross position to the ordered parameters and to the proper position in front of the eyes, verify Rx prism, unwanted prism, and the presence and degree of prism thinning (essential for single lens replacements).
    Thank you.

Thread Information