Thread: No identifying marks...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No identifying marks...

Hi guys and gals!

Do any of you know of any progressive lenses that do not have any identifying marks engraved on them?

Thanks in advance...hope you're all having a "Specs-tacular" day! ;)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    A lot of the low-end imports are that way as are some freeform.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Essilor do a Generic Progressive Lens that just has a little circle and the add engraved in it but no variation on their usual 'e' symbol.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If these are edged lenses, the markings may have been edged off.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Progressiv without marking ?

Any Progressiv without marking would be for the bin.
    Try your slit lamp, it might be that the Hardcoat has filled the engravings, the slit lamp could still show it. Try a UV light, some Progressives have an invisible UV stamp. Use an old type slide projector or a beamer, set it up a healthy distance off a white wall (no slide in) and hold the lens close to the screen/wall, surface imperfections will show up, like a shadowscope.
    Can't think of anything else.....wait, if it is a digital FreeForm it could also be that the Lab missed to apply the engraving before de-blocking.... is it a Digital Free Form?

Georg Mayer
    Rodenstock - Munich

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    If these are edged lenses, the markings may have been edged off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Georg Mayer View Post
    Any Progressiv without marking would be for the bin.
    Try your slit lamp, it might be that the Hardcoat has filled the engravings, the slit lamp could still show it. Try a UV light, some Progressives have an invisible UV stamp. Use an old type slide projector or a beamer, set it up a healthy distance off a white wall (no slide in) and hold the lens close to the screen/wall, surface imperfections will show up, like a shadowscope.
    Can't think of anything else.....wait, if it is a digital FreeForm it could also be that the Lab missed to apply the engraving before de-blocking.... is it a Digital Free Form?

Georg Mayer
    Rodenstock - Munich
    Hi! :)

Sorry, I should have clarified....I would like to find one to use that doesn't have identifying marks. (although, I do want a good quality lens, and preferrably something that has a not-so-slick ARC available)...(yep, I want it all!! :D)

I'm just so tired of the "branding", the drama and obvious lack of interest in independents. I would love to find a lens that is a "sleeping-giant", so to speak. I'd like to find a manufacturer that isn't involved with gobbling anyone up....they put their nose to the grind-stone, produce a good product, is proud of it, and stands behind it. Is it out there? Is it available in the USA?? Is it something I can afford to present to my patients??? I don't know, but if anyone has heard of anything, and is willing to share, I'd be interested in what you know.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hipoptical View Post
    Mark the OC...
    Therein lies the problem. Let's say the lens is produced with minimal levels of unwanted prism, about .2^ per lens in or out. Using the +.50 DS example, if you align the fitting cross with the OC, the lens position will be off by 4mm per lens. The same problem occurs on the vertical meridian. It gets even murkier with presribed prism, especially with the stronger minus or plus powers, because there is no prism reference point, hence no way to verify if the prism is correct as prescribed. Like Georg Mayer said at the beginning of the thread, "Any Progressiv without marking would be for the bin".
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    Hi guys and gals!

Do any of you know of any progressive lenses that do not have any identifying marks engraved on them?
    The absence of standardized reference marks would make it impossible to fit the lens properly, i.e. verify the fitting cross position to the ordered parameters and to the proper position in front of the eyes, verify Rx prism, unwanted prism, and the presence and degree of prism thinning (essential for single lens replacements).

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    The absence of standardized reference marks would make it impossible to fit the lens properly, i.e. verify the fitting cross position to the ordered parameters and to the proper position in front of the eyes, verify Rx prism, unwanted prism, and the presence and degree of prism thinning (essential for single lens replacements).
    Thank you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm pretty sure Heather is only talking about the logo. You absolutely need the two circles. As long as you have proper documentation as to what the lens is on the patient's file, you can do everything with those two marks. You don't need the add stamped, you don't need the logo. The only problem I can see with having a PAL stamped like this is SOMEONE ELSE trying to figure out what the heck the patient has.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    I'm pretty sure Heather is only talking about the logo. You absolutely need the two circles. As long as you have proper documentation as to what the lens is on the patient's file, you can do everything with those two marks. You don't need the add stamped, you don't need the logo. The only problem I can see with having a PAL stamped like this is SOMEONE ELSE trying to figure out what the heck the patient has.
    Thank you, AdmiralKnight! :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    I'm pretty sure Heather is only talking about the logo.
    Okay.

The only problem I can see with having a PAL stamped like this is SOMEONE ELSE trying to figure out what the heck the patient has.
    That's a problem for sure. Pretty hard to troubleshoot a lens when you're blind to the lens specs. For instance, a client complains of poor distance VA, and you find that the reference marks are level with th pupil. Knowing that most PALs have a 4mm drop you might think that the lenses were fit too high, problem solved! Well, not so fast- Seiko's lenses have the fitting cross even with the 180 line so these lenses were fit properly. The problem lies elsewhere.

The last thing I want to see is a whole flock of no-name PALs floating around the marketplace. I want/need more information, not less! Look at the information available on a Rodenstock PAL- lens design, material, Add power, base curve, etc. Carl Zeiss, Shamir, and others, show all of the above except base curve. These companies want you to know that what you get is what you ordered, and they're proud of it. I support these companies, and you should too, Logo and all.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The last thing I want to see is a whole flock of no-name PALs floating around the marketplace. I want/need more information, not less! Look at the information available on a Rodenstock PAL- lens design, material, Add power, base curve, etc. Carl Zeiss, Shamir, and others, show all of the above except base curve. These companies want you to know that what you get is what you ordered, and they're proud of it. I support these companies, and you should too, Logo and all.
    For the record, I disagree wholeheartedly, completely, and without reservation.
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Thread Information