Thread: State Licensure

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

State Licensure

Washington State is no longer sending out full-size, embossed certificates for licensed dispensing opticians. Apparently, someone at the top decided that canceling production of the certificates would be a surefire way to curb state spending and reduce our huge deficit.

Instead, all we get is a small 3x5 slip that says we are licensed. For those of us who still want an 8.5x11 certificate, we have to either pony up extra cash for it or do without, whereas it used to be free. :angry:

I'm thinking about sending a letter to my state DOH voicing my displeasure.

Rant over: we now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have they done the same for Optometrists and Physicians ? If they haven't I'd complain too! Most states only issue one certificate when you are originally licensed/ The small renewal card is considered your license, and that is issured for renewals.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cone On!

Of all the silly things to complain about. Get a life, and thank your leadership for working hard enough for you to have a license. I hope you belong to your state association!
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 08-05-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Of all the silly things to complain about. Get a life, and thank your leadership for working hard enought for you to have a license. I hope you belong to your state association!
    I couldn't agree more!:cheers::cheers:

Everyone's so quick to pile on the complaint wagon...

How many states will never see a license, and folks are worried about the size of theirs?:hammer:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Hmm

While I agree with DR. McDonald, I can partially understand where you're coming from. Once upon a time in South Carolina (before I moved here) the licenses for opticians were very nice 14 x 11 (or bigger maybe? someone correct me if I'm wrong) with all of the board members' signatures. Now, we get an 8.5 x 11 (you're so jealous, and I'm complaining!) that's run off of an old printer that leaves marks because it's dirty, and the "signature" isn't authentic.
    I am not bashing the Dept. of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, but I would appreciate the privilege of paying for one of those quality Certificates of Licensure. I know a few of our board members, and I also know they wouldnt mind signing them. Also, I very much appreciate that there have been many opticians in this state who stood up, fought the good fight, and convinced our legislature to do the right thing. I know it wasn't easy, as I've heard the stories a few times. I do, however, feel that the licenses should look as impressive as they used to look, and I wouldn't mind at all paying for that. I take pride in my profession, and wouldn't want a 3 x 5 flashcard to hold up either.
    Perhaps you can contact your Board, and licensing agency, and talk to them about this. Maybe they will again provide the certificate you're seeking for a small fee.
    After all, "TIMES IS HARD!"

On a side note, I am a member of the SC Opticians Association.

Wes
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good Point

Wes makes a good point, and I stand corrected. A professional looking license to hang on the wall for the public to view is very important. I really was thinking about wallet-size cards some states used to issue. I am surprised by any state board not issuing a professional diploma. Sorry for jumping the gun.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If one is gonna have to pay the $2.00 the least one should get out of it is braggin rights.
    Wonder if it's illegal to have it blown up and framed?

Chip

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE I hope you belong to your state association![/QUOTE]

As a board member of the Opticians Association of Washington and member of the membership commitee....I hope you are part of the Association. If not, I urge you to join...and then you can rant to people that may be able to help.:bbg:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by libellule View Post
    [QUOTE I hope you belong to your state association!

As a board member of the Opticians Association of Washington and member of the membership commitee....I hope you are part of the Association. If not, I urge you to join...and then you can rant to people that may be able to help.:bbg:[/QUOTE]

I have been to all of the meetings this year, but because I am a new optician, I didn't know that the meetings were sponsored by the OAW (I just got a fax that said there were meetings with various speakers).

As it sits, my chapter (if that's the official designation) is currently without a president, so I am actually trying to step in to fill the vacuum until someone qualified comes along. However, I will sign up as soon as we get to January, as apparently there is an additional fee for signing up late (more money for less time as an OAW member, since I'd have to renew January anyway).

Obviously, I can't actually be President since I'm not a member, but I am trying to help the remaining leadership by tracking down speakers and CE topics for future meetings.

In summation, no I am not, but yes I will be.

Also, thank you, Wes, for making the case I should have made. It was late, and I was just irked since I felt the reduced certificate was tantamount to a college refusing to give out a diploma after graduating. Sure, it's just a piece of paper, but it's positive publicity not only for the optician, but for the state as well.

In regards to appreciating my state's efforts: I am indeed quite grateful, and I hold the licensing program in high regard. It is rigorous and practical. Considering I live about ten minutes from Oregon, which has no requirements, I am particularly proud of what my state has done to protect Washingtonians' health and maintain professionality in optical practices. I just couldn't figure out how much money the state was really saving by canceling it's certificates, but I felt it couldn't be that much, while on the flipside, it was alienating newly licensed opticians who had worked hard to earn their licenses.

Geeze, I'm long winded. I apologize.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't Apologize!

We need people in leadership roles who have your passion. I am not in your wonderful state, but you have a great association. Do become involved, because your participation is needed. I will be speaking at the OAW meeting the first weekend in October, and if there, please say hello.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Look on the bright side...
    You could be in a place where people don't care about a piece of paper on the wall. In some states opticians are a rare breed, replaced by salesmen who know little-to-nothing about optics. Salesmanship has overtaken eye care, and real opticians are often looked upon as the bad guy. At least it sounds like where you are, you can show your license and have instant credibility. In some places, you could paint your certificate to cover the largest wall in your office, and it would either go unnoticed, or simply nobody would care.
    However, if you still want a larger certificate, I can print you one up using my photo software and color laser printer. Nobody will notice it's not legit...
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it possible or practical to ask the board too include the extra cost of a diploma type license in the cost of the test in the future?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

10% commision please...

Here ya go-

<link removed at request of site owner>

Better still-

http://www.freediplomatemplates.com/...Templates.html

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Here ya go-

<link removed at request of site owner>

Better still-

http://www.freediplomatemplates.com/...Templates.html
    Do you want 10% of each diploma "earned"? 'Cause I'm about to be loaded with credentials....:bbg:
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It's a dream come true!

I always wanted sixteen doctorates...

Uncle Fester said:
    Is it possible or practical to ask the board too include the extra cost of a diploma type license in the cost of the test in the future?
    I sent an e-mail to the DOH, and I was wondering the same thing. Certainly it shouldn't cost that much to offset the difference. I'll give them three to twenty business days to get back to me on that. ;)

Backing up a bit, I am not licensed yet. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm still new to the opticianry scene, so right now I have a lot of knowledge (relatively speaking) but little experience. I will have enough practical experience (cutting, edging, tinting, etc) in a year or so to take the exam, but the reason I initially voiced my concern was that someone else in my office just earned her license and was surprised to find out that the state wasn't sending out certificates anymore. However, I became miffed because that means that when it's time for me to take the exam, I won't have a nice, big plaque to place next to the two licensed opticians who do have full-sized certificates.

Actually, part of the reason I am trying to be so active in the OAW is because that way I can participate in finding speakers who can address the large gaps in my optical repertoire.

wmcdonald said:
    I will be speaking at the OAW meeting the first weekend in October, and if there, please say hello.
    Where will you be speaking? I'll try to pop over there if I can!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OAW Convention

Oct 10Th and 11Th in Wenatchee WA.

Hope to see you there.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oct 10Th and 11Th in Wenatchee WA.

Hope to see you there.
    Actually, the OAW convention in Wenatchee is the 16, 17 and 18th of October.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Actually, part of the reason I am trying to be so active in the OAW is because that way I can participate in finding speakers who can address the large gaps in my optical repertoire."

I applaud, and share, your desire to get as much information as possible. If you do attend the convention in October please look for those of us who have a 'board member' ribbon attached to their name tags. We are all very approachable and would love to meet anyone interested and passionate about getting involved.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Date for OAW

A part of an email I received some time back:

Thank you Warren for agreeing to come back to the beautiful Pacific Northwest. As I said our convention is Oct 10Th and 11Th in Wenatchee WA.

Best Regards

<info removed>

I just saw the website and it appears your dates are correct. I appreciate it. I am pleased I h ad not purchased a ticket yet. I would have been lonely on the 10th and 11th.

Hope to see you on the correct dates, and I am pleased to see you found the site.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am glad to help.

and...

Perhaps someone would be so kind as to remove our Executive Directors contact info...I don't speak for her but I am not sure if she wants it published to a site where we all use aliases...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not all of us are ashamed of our names. Or afraid to take the credit and blame for what we say, even if Obummer has the thought police watching.

Chip

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Not all of us are ashamed of our names. Or afraid to take the credit and blame for what we say, even if Obummer has the thought police watching.

Chip

I am sorry.....What?

How does this comment have anything to do with anything? The person's information that was posted here did not approve its being published nor is she aware that it was posted. (it is not me, if that is what you are getting at)...Perhaps courtesy is outside of your frame of reference....

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would have been lonely on the 10th and 11th.
    I'd still come to visit!

Changing gears, I see the basis of your concern, libellule, but I imagine Hatch wouldn't mind her info being on this site, seeing as how one can quickly find that and more with a quick Google search. Even the e-mail address seems to be specifically for OAW matters.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Correct Dates October 16-18

In all fairness, I did find another email later with the correct dates. I hope to see all on the 16th -18th of October!

Thread Information