Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online retailer "teaches" adjustment

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Online retailer "teaches" adjustment

http://www.eyeglasses.com/learn_html...yeglasses.html

Wow...really? Part of me really hopes people try this and destroy their online glasses......I ALMOST feel bad about it... but not really.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At least somebody is teaching it. I haven't seen a course or even a mention of this in a "continueing education", or even a regular education class in decades.
    Maybe they even teach that temples shouldn't have any 90 degree angles at the ear.

Chip

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most of the time, adjusting your eyeglasses that we send you is not necessary because the eyeglasses fit properly when you receive them.
    HA!
    Eyeglass frames are designed so that they can be adjusted (bent) if necessary to accommodate most any facial structure. When a local optical profession is adjusting your eyeglasses for you, it is called a fitting. In most cases you will not need to fit eyeglasses,
    How many glasses fit perfectly off the rack?
    but if you do, you can take your glasses to a local optical store for a fitting. Most opticians will do a fitting for free; if they charge you a fee, we will reimburse you for their fitting fee up to a maximum of $15. Just fax us the receipt and we will credit your account.
    Looks like the minimum charge for adjusting/fitting online glasses is $30.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post

or more....

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How many glasses fit perfectly off the rack?
    P.S. - do you ever find yourself out and about with your hands itching to grab the glasses off of someone to fix their adjustment? or is that just me?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have stopped people in the mall outside the big boys and asked if they would like their glasses adjusted correctly.

It is suprising how many say yes.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    P.S. - do you ever find yourself out and about with your hands itching to grab the glasses off of someone to fix their adjustment? or is that just me?
    You are NOT ALONE my friend. I get aggravated with family and friends to the point that I carry tools in the suitcase I call a purse. LOL!! But a total stranger I just bite my tongue! HARD!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I charge $65 for on-line glasses :D :D :D

Oh...Eyemart Express sometimes has 2 for $69 specials, makes lots of people rethink on-line buying.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 07-31-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added, Deleted, Multiplied

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all have these urges, especially sittinb in a back pew in church and seeing all the older gentlemen (at least they used to be older) with temples sitting an inch or more higher than thier ears because the temple tips were bent too far forward.
    However, I have learned the hard way many times. Voluntering for this can get you in a heap o' trouble. There are frames out there suffering from metal fatique and the like that the slightest touch will be the coup de gras for breakage.
    All the patient is gonna see is: You claimed to be an "expert" and it broke in your hands. This happens often enough when patient's come in your store and ask for help, when they don't ask you are even more vunerable.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    ...Eyemart Express sometimes has 2 for $69 specials, makes lots of people rethink on-line buying.
    This kills me. If someone offered two automobiles for $8,000, consumers would run, not walk, away. But 2 pairs of glasses for $69? What a deal! (NOT)
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    coup de gras
    you know what's sad? I only know that phrase because I happen to play D&D on a semi-regular basis.... I'm such a dork.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper On-line courses....................

If you think think that on-line sellers are not progressing to advance their business, you have to change your idea.

Any business realizes the weak points in their organization, and so do the on-line sellers and will do anything to improve.

Chip has said the right thing in an above post. How many optical sellers in retail stores have actually learned a proper adjustment. Unless it is a seasoned optician that shows the young ones the proper way of doing it, there is not much of a chance to learn it properly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :idea: Business opportunity! I'll rent my expensive pliers to anyone who got their glasses on-line. $10/quarter hour. They can even use my frame warmer.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

those crazy online retailers

So i'm still wandering the world of online glasses out of morbid interest..(and boredom) and I came across this little gem about PD measurements

we can make your glasses using an average PD measurement based on a survey of 4,000 people. This works very well for most customers; they don't harm the eyes but they can cause discomfort or strain
    an AVERAGE pd measurement!?!?!?! what the heck is this? how can you even get away with this....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Remember, you don't even have to have an Rx to order online glasses.

They just ask you to put in the numbers.

No doctor name, no phone or fax verification, nothing.

You can literally get a pair of glasses exactly how you want them, not how the doctor thinks you should.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    This, ladies and gentlemen, is more evidence of what I'll call "circumvention of state laws and regulations".

This is the state of online dispensing, I'm afraid.

Remember this when you get into your next airplane seat, or when your child gets on the schoolbus, or that 40-ton semi is heading your way.

Vision standards exist for good reason! Vision professionals and suppliers must be educated, certified, and regulated to provide society with good vision.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love the part where they're telling you to adjust the frames so your eye is in the middle of the lens.
    If your glasses have nosepads, do x, y, and z.
    If your glasses don't have nosepads, "you only need to adjust the temple tips in order to accomplish your goal."
    I think they meant to say you're SOL.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At least somebody is teaching it. I haven't seen a course or even a mention of this in a "continueing education", or even a regular education class in decades.
    Maybe they even teach that temples shouldn't have any 90 degree angles at the ear.

Chip
    Durham Tech Community College, Durham NC teaches Adjustment techniques even up to advanced stuff in their Associate's Degree program (which is one of two ways to be eligible to sit for the board-the other being apprenticeship)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The question is,are the online retailers getting better pricing on progressive lenses than the individual practice?(you know what brand I'm talking about)and if so what lab are they using?As a matter of fact same goes for the frames as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

No problem...

Remember, you don't even have to have an Rx to order online glasses.

They just ask you to put in the numbers.

No doctor name, no phone or fax verification, nothing.

You can literally get a pair of glasses exactly how you want them, not how the doctor thinks you should.

When will I be able to do this with my own prescription medicines?? Never, due to the overwhelming strength(deep pockets) of the organizations who continue to lobby against it. Organized resistance x $$$ = they win.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    This thread is hilarious! Keep going... I need some cheering up today.
    The "average PD" is great! We used to say that to newbies who forgot to take the measurement. We also used to tell them to get a PD stretcher when they made the glasses wrong. That's it! I'm going to market my online services for PD modifications. When the online retailer misses the PD, I'll teach people how to widen or narrow their PD for only $19.95.
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    I just decided to offer to Optiboard members my "secret PD modification method" for only $5. If you contact me in the next 10 minutes, I'll add "Seg Height Adjustments" for free!
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just fax us the receipt and we will credit your account.
    Notice they won't actually reimburse you, just give you credit toward more unmeasured, ill fitting, low quality glasses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I am not trying to toot my own horn here but I consider myself a master adjuster. I have often thought I should teach more than just my small staff. You can't teach these things on line.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Such incompetence isn't limited to online retailers. Here's the thumbnail version of a situation I dealt with today.

We made glasses a month or so ago for a guy with a prescription very similar to: (slightly simplified for clarity)

+0.75 OU DS
    +2.25 Add

He came back today. I was troubleshooting him and determined he was overplussed at distance. His near vision was great. I sent him back to the ophthalmology office where he was seen for a recheck.

He came back later today with:

Pl OU
    +2.25 Add

I called and talked to the tech that refracted him explaining that to get the same vision at near he would need a +3.00 add. The tech said "He said that was what he wanted. Do whatever you need to do."

Unbelievable.

Thread Information