Thread: White House Beer Summit

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

White House Beer Summit

Okay, I have to say I didn't like the way President Obama originally handled the incident involving his friend's arrest. However, he recovered with a lot of grace and aplomb- so kudos for a nice piece of diplomacy.

Kudos also to Gen. Colin Powell, who gave a tremendous interview on the subject the other night.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Yeah, his 'stupid' comment was stupid itself. I cringed when I heard it, knowing that this would dominate the agenda on so-called 'news' outlets for several days. The good thing is that he does learn from his mistakes and is confident enough to admit them.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thumbs up

The good thing is that he does learn from his mistakes and is confident enough to admit them.

Yep, and this ability seems to be becoming a pattern. I thought his "deadline" on healthcare reform was ill-advised as well, but after seeing some progress towards an agreement, he retracted it (wish the Speaker of the House had the same common-sense).

I continue to disagree with most of his political agenda, but President Obama is showing signs of being a true statesman and leader.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    His policies will take time to see how they work out. But the one thing is he sure is offering a different way of diplomacy. I prefer his form of leadership and diplomacy to many other past Presidents. Let's just hope his policies work out too.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    However, he recovered with a lot of grace and aplomb- so kudos for a nice piece of diplomacy.
    Seriosly? A cheap beer, some tall tales, and it's all better? I dissagree.

Occupation
    The president, as promised, drank Bud Light, while the vice president drank Bucker, a non-alcoholic beer. Gates sipped Sam Adams Light, brewed in his home state of Boston, while Crowley opted for Blue Moon, which he had earlier told the president was among his favorites.
    Yuck.. except maybe for the Blue Moon. They should have let Fezz cater the beers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/07...html?tag=stack

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    Yuck.. except maybe for the Blue Moon. They should have let Fezz cater the beers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/07...html?tag=stack

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What Crap

"The pres" and the "prof" should have apoligized. The officer was doing his sworn duty to protect the public.The "prof" is above the law in his own mind and don't like white folk."The pres" should have kept his mouth shut about it and stuck to the issue at hand. I am not the least bit impressed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Yeah, his 'stupid' comment was stupid itself. I cringed when I heard it, knowing that this would dominate the agenda on so-called 'news' outlets for several days. The good thing is that he does learn from his mistakes and is confident enough to admit them.
    I agree
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree Bill, but I can't help wonder if this whole thing wasn't a diversion to get attention away from the health care plan.

but what had been a relatively small story immediately blew up, pushing the president’s health care reform efforts from the headlines.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    "The pres" and the "prof" should have apoligized. The officer was doing his sworn duty to protect the public.The "prof" is above the law in his own mind and don't like white folk."The pres" should have kept his mouth shut about it and stuck to the issue at hand. I am not the least bit impressed.
    Obama should have never got involved, but the prof should have never been arrested. Pissing off a cop is not cause for disorderly conduct. Cops have a responsiblity to follow the rules. If they don't then they lose credibility. They should never have a blank cheque to do what they want.

Too many people let police and the military to get away with murder, because they are protecting us. This is how we form corrupt police and military forces.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    I agree Bill, but I can't help wonder if this whole thing wasn't a diversion to get attention away from the health care plan.
    Ask those who blew the story up, because it was a minor thing until those who disagreed with the President made it a big deal.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The media blows everything out of proportion (and I can hardly believe there are many in the media that disagree with this President's agenda).

As for apologies- well, the officer in question seems satisfied with the resolution of this whole affair, so I think that pretty much settles the matter.

As for cheesing off a police officer... Well, there have been LOTS of people (of all races) arrested for doing just that. Officers shouldn't have to put up with such nonsense- they already deal with enough violence & stupidity out there. (Just like teachers should be able to administer corporal punishment to children who disrupt school- but that's another discussion.)

This whole incident proves that people of all races, professions, and positions are apt to let their mouths get ahead of their brain sometimes. Hopefully, should the professor ever have another situation which involves the police, he'll remain calm enough to avoid jumping to the conclusion that he is being "profiled" by a racist. Hopefully, the police officer will count to twenty and show a little more restraint in the demonstration of his authority next time a similar situation presents itself. Hopefully, the President will just say "no comment" until he has all the facts if one of his friends should run into conflict with the law in the future.

Hopefully, we can ALL "sit down over a beer" the next time we have a dispute with our fellow coworker, relative, or neighbor- rather than stubbornly hold to positions and stands that might have been developed when we were in less than civil state of mind!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The profiling in this situation was done by Professor Gates.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    The profiling in this situation was done by Professor Gates.
    And Obama should have kept his mouth shut, then the media would have never blown it out of proportion.

I have many points I could make on this, but I try my best to keep out of these discussions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    The media blows everything out of proportion (and I can hardly believe there are many in the media that disagree with this President's agenda)...
    Really?
    [youtube]RNIQG7WXpSM[/youtube]
    [youtube]cAvq12Sa3VE[/youtube]
    [youtube]dDQ5-IprNLM[/youtube]
    Maybe, after hearing those guys, you see why the mainstream media supports our president's policies. Those guys would be funny if their warped rationale wasn't so scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Hopefully, we can ALL "sit down over a beer" the next time we have a dispute with our fellow coworker, relative, or neighbor- rather than stubbornly hold to positions and stands that might have been developed when we were in less than civil state of mind!
    Or shoot them!:hammer:
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    Really?
    [youtube]RNIQG7WXpSM[/youtube]
    [youtube]cAvq12Sa3VE[/youtube]
    [youtube]dDQ5-IprNLM[/youtube]
    Maybe, after hearing those guys, you see why the mainstream media supports our president's policies. Those guys would be funny if their warped rationale wasn't so scary.

Or shoot them!:hammer:
    They would even be funnier if so many people didn't agree with their warped view.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

cops getting the shaft

Yet again another cop gets the shaft for doing his job. They just laid of 130 here in my town in Calif. yet expect em to do the same amount of work while the county continues to pay out welfare and benefits for illegals. I wish police could go on strike because what's asked of them is ridiculous. I haven't been pulled over or arrested in years but I have had a few scrapes in the past and always respected the police and excepted punishment for actions I have committed. It's all about the lack or personal responsibility in todays work it seems to me.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Ya not like the Libs spent 8 years saying retarded stuff about bush though huh. A quick question... Obama tripled the deficit in 150 days and accomplished nothing at all whilst Bush fought 2 wars and brought us outta fiscal crisis after 9/11..... Sooo how bout them Libs?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by negolien View Post
    Yet again another cop gets the shaft for doing his job. They just laid of 130 here in my town in Calif. yet expect em to do the same amount of work while the county continues to pay out welfare and benefits for illegals. I wish police could go on strike because what's asked of them is ridiculous. I haven't been pulled over or arrested in years but I have had a few scrapes in the past and always respected the police and excepted punishment for actions I have committed. It's all about the lack or personal responsibility in todays work it seems to me.
    The cop did not do his job. He abused his power. Cops do not have the right to abuse their powers. When a cop does abuse his or her power, they spit on their own men and make themselves look bad.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Obama should have never got involved, but the prof should have never been arrested.
    You are correct that Obama should have never gotten involved, but how do you know if the prof was deserving of his arrest?

The cop did not do his job. He abused his power. Cops do not have the right to abuse their powers. When a cop does abuse his or her power, they spit on their own men and make themselves look bad.
    Again unless you were there or otherwise involved you are only getting your information from the hyped up media.

Occupation
    You are correct that Obama should have never gotten involved, but how do you know if the prof was deserving of his arrest?

Again unless you were there or otherwise involved you are only getting your information from the hyped up media.
    Well let me ask you, what do you think constitutes an arrest under disorderly conduct? I do not think arguing and yelling a cop, especially if I am in my own house, does that. We have noise laws, so he must have not been too loud or he would have been charged for that. The cop must have figured out it was not his house, because he was not arrested for suspicion of break and enter.

So what did he do to get arrested for disorderly conduct?

Now, do not get me wrong. I think the prof acted like an idiot. I cannot stand people that think they know the law, so they act like idiots to cops thinking nothing will happen. But what constituted the reason for the arrest? The cop felt disrespected and was mad, so he arrested the guy.

So, we have three wrongs. None of these guys were right.

Edit - Actually, let's make that four wrongs. Any of the media or politicians (Dems and Republicans) who tried to make this a national issue were in the wrong. If you are going to accuse this as a symbol of wag the dog, do not forget the opposition who did the same thing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I think constitutes an arrest is irrelevant.
    the only point I am making is Obama was out of line for getting involved. It's clearly his fault the media & anybody else hyped it up and made it a bigger issue than it was.
    I don't know if the professor was deserving of being arrested any more than I know if the officer used poor judgment, as I only know what I've heard through the media.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by negolien View Post
    Ya not like the Libs spent 8 years saying retarded stuff about bush though huh. A quick question... Obama tripled the deficit in 150 days and accomplished nothing at all whilst Bush fought 2 wars and brought us outta fiscal crisis after 9/11..... Sooo how bout them Libs?

Uhhh...excuse me?? Bush got us OUT of the deficit???
    And only one of those wars was warranted.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    the only point I am making is Obama was out of line for getting involved. It's clearly his fault the media & anybody else hyped it up and made it a bigger issue than it was.
    Obama may have stuck his leg in his mouth, but as of this morning the professor is hoping to invite the officer as well as his family to his home.

There is a tremendous number of people who believe police profiling is very much alive whether they are correct or have a chip on thier shoulder this news does a lot of good in helping resolve the communication barrier countrywide not just between these 2 men.

I am very happy to see the officer while not a Harvard Professor seemed educated and was well spoken and I'm sure made police officers across the country very proud.

Maybe Fox will use this gentleman as thier "Crime Scene Expert" instead of continuing to use thier biggot Mark Fuhrman.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    And only one of those wars was warranted.
    Unfortunatly, the forgotten one.
    Last edited by braheem24; 08-03-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Thread Information