Thread: Physio 360 Corridor Length?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Physio 360 Corridor Length?

I have a problem I'm trying to work through and can't seem to find the corridor length of the Physio 360 anywhere. Can anybody help me out? Thanks!

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    There is no difference between the 360 and the "standard" except for the generator that processes it. Find the info for the standard, and you'll have the answer you seek.
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hipoptical View Post
    There is no difference between the 360 and the "standard" except for the generator that processes it. Find the info for the standard, and you'll have the answer you seek.

I'm actually having problems finding info on corridor length for both...thanks for the info, though! Anyone else have any idea?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you called Essilor?

Maybe you could contact a fellow Optiboarder, Pete Hanlin. he works for Essilor and may be able to get that info for you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Care View Post
    I have a problem I'm trying to work through and can't seem to find the corridor length of the Physio 360 anywhere. Can anybody help me out? Thanks!
    What do you need it to be, and I'm sure they can tell you that is correct. Research comfort minimum seg heights.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    What do you need it to be, and I'm sure they can tell you that is correct. Research comfort minimum seg heights.
    Priceless :cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This Reminds Me

while we're on the subject, I've wondered about surfacing the Essilor "360" products (Physio, Comfort, Ellipse) using the CNC generator. Does this generator technology just make a regular sphero-cylindrical curve(s), or do the curves deviate in any way to "enhance" the experience of the wearer? In other words, is there really any difference from traditional surface generating?

Quote Originally Posted by hipoptical View Post

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by beagleman View Post
    while we're on the subject, I've wondered about surfacing the Essilor "360" products (Physio, Comfort, Ellipse) using the CNC generator. Does this generator technology just make a regular sphero-cylindrical curve(s), or do the curves deviate in any way to "enhance" the experience of the wearer? In other words, is there really any difference from traditional surface generating?
    CNC operation (or digital generating, freeform processing- whatever you want to call it) does both (makes better curves and "enhanced" curves). In the 360 product the curves are just more accurate. That's all it amounts to. You can cut any traditional lens "freefrom" and get a better product than with traditional surfacing. Other products offer lenses with curves that deviate from traditional methods to enhance vision. Shamir is a leader in this, but there are others that are not as well known doing them same things. AWTECH is an Optiboard member that is able to do it with his own line of products, there is a lab in Dallas that does their own, and I'm sure there are others as well.
    The one caveat is that if the lab doing the processing does not have good process controls, the digital version may be worse than the traditional. Many labs could not tell you how long the UV bulb lasts in a hard coat oven- do you think those type labs are going to calibrate properly, maintain properly, and check properly? That's the danger of freeform. You gotta pick a good lab.
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks for your reply

that helps some. It sounds like all Varilux lenses start from the same blanks whether they have the "360" designation or not, but the 360 gets CNC surfacing, the "non-360" get the traditional generator, fining and polishing. Why am I asking these questions? I teach eyewear to optometry students and want to give them accurate information (because they will usually not get it from sales reps when they leave this school!). It seems to me that a lens like the Kodak Unique is a "true freeform" lens because you take a spherical SV blank and the CNC generator puts all the curves on the backside. With the Essilor 360 products, it strikes me that this is just "CNC" or maybe "digital" (whatever that means) processing, but on the back of the lens is just a regular sphere or spherocylindrical curve(s). I'm trying to educate these guys accurately on the products out there so they don't get the wool pulled over their eyes too badly by all the sales reps who will eventually find their way to the OD office!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been taught that the lowest acceptable corridor for a 360 is 18. A 17 would work, but realistically, anything lower should use a Nikon Seewide. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but I'm looking in the Essilor-Nikon Product book and it doesn't say anything specific about corridor length.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayme View Post
    I have been taught that the lowest acceptable corridor for a 360 is 18. A 17 would work, but realistically, anything lower should use a Nikon Seewide. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but I'm looking in the Essilor-Nikon Product book and it doesn't say anything specific about corridor length.
    Corridor lenght usually 4 mm less than minimum fitting height.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OCP View Post
    Corridor lenght usually 4 mm less than minimum fitting height.
    That is true, unless the lens in question has "fuzzy data" connected to it. Essilor/Varilux decided about 6 years ago that add power was over-rated. They figured that most people can GET BY with only 85% of the power, so they changed the minimum fitting heights without changing the design of the lenses.So, the Comfort originally said 23 minimum, which gives a corridor of 19mm in length. Now they say the minimum is 18, but the corridor is still 19. That's "fuzzy data". Other manufacturers may have done this as well, but most will actually give you hard data, not confuse you with fuzzy math like the Empire does. If you can't get good, hard data, you know your supplier is hiding something.
    Also, that is not true when dealing with true digital products- but I don't think you were referring to those lenses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    VX Physio 360
    Corridor Length=17
    MFH=17
    85% reading at 12

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Physio f-360 is produced with 3 minimum fitting heights
    13-14mm
    15-16mm
    17-18mm
    For me I'd always go shorter to give more reading - particularly in frames with a shaped/curved lower rim

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From2010 OLA- Physio 360 recommended minimum fit height 16, 17.
    Believe it or not I think the fit height is 16 for the US and 17 for Canada.

For Beagleman I printed out this post from the past for my future reference as I have the memory of a giraffe umm zebra no an elephant yeah that's it! Hope it helps.
    EyeMaster

OptiBoard Apprentice Join DateJun 2011LocationPalm Beach areaOccupationOptometristPosts23

All About Freeform:
    The industry really has 3 levels of technology with ALL processes using the same basic equipment.

Level 1: <Not Freeform> Digital processing of a conventional lens (progressive design all on the front), with the design “enhanced” as one mfg says. This process doesn’t do much for the lens design, so a crummy progressive design that is digitally process will still be a crummy lens.

Level 2: <True Freeform> Process turns a semi-finished single vision lens into a progressive (progressive design all on the back) . This is the Seiko-Epson process and is what almost freeform is today. Seiko-Epson licenses the lens companies who in-turn sub-license the production labs. So the lab process is the same with all products with the only difference from one progressive product to another being the lens design.

Level 3: <True Freeform> Process starts with a lens that is neither single vision or progressive (progressive design partly on the front and partly on the back) This HOYA process uses both sides of the lens to create their so-called iD progressives. This process offers advantages and also provides some availability issues when compared to the “Level 2” process/products.

Summary/My Opinion:
    Level 1 is not free-form (forget about it). Faux Freeform

Level 2 products are all the same Seiko-Epson process so they're all made the same way. Sample them all for lens design differences and advantages/disadvantages. Great product availability and best for larger eye sizes/base curves because they start with just about any semi-finished single vision lens. True Freeform

Level 3 products may provide less distortion and better optics for dress eyewear because of their front/back design. This process has some availability issues with larger frames and base curves that Level 2 products like Shamir might address. True Freeform

Thread Information