Thread: Billing State Medicaid

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Billing State Medicaid

I am working with a State Medicaid Program in transitioning from bundled local codes to HIPAA codes (better late than never) and I have a few questions for the board.

One of the local codes has a description of “Corrective treatment by Optometrist,” and I want to make sure I have an exhaustive list codes so Providers can bill the State appropriately for the procedures.

CPT CODES: 67820, 76512-76514, 92015, 92020, 92100 series, 92225-92285,

Any other code suggestions on what might be considered a “corrective treatment by Optometrist?”

Thanks!
    Janelle

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Not quite related but..

We have found that some of the CPT codes for artificial eyes have been eliminated. There is no provision for making one larger or re-shapeing it.
    At least 50% of patients need some enlargement after having worn thier first prosthesis for six weeks. A somewhat smaller precentage need this after a few years of wear. We still do this when needed but we don't get paid.
    We have contacted everyone we can find from the AMA to the CPT publisher, to the legislature, etc. No one has any idea why this was eliminated or who is responsible or how to change this.
    In some cases the state is having to pay (a lot more) for new prosthesis just because the old one needed a small enlargement (not covered) but a new one is every four or five years. Artificial eyes usually last from five to 20 years, dependent on a lot of factors.

Chip

Thread Information