Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PAL from CZV - Sola Elan

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

New PAL from CZV - Sola Elan

As the title says. Will be launched in select European markets first to be followed by more general release.

More at http://solaelan.moonfruit.fr

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KITT View Post
    As the title says. Will be launched in select European markets first to be followed by more general release.

More at http://solaelan.moonfruit.fr
    Itīs always impressive with how many "new" products one can come up that are "radically different" from other products and are the result of "> 10 years of research", while all is likely only (re-) marketing hype. Given all the "innovations" over the state of art each of these new products claims, we already should have the "perfect PAL" for a long time!

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Itīs always impressive with how many "new" products one can come up that are "radically different" from other products
    There is nothing in the SOLA Elan marketing materials that describes the lens as "radically different."

Although SOLA Elan certainly represents the next-generation of SOLA lens designs, the SOLA Elan design is actually an evolution of the award-winning SOLAOne lens design platform.

There are a few significant differences though: SOLA Elan has a wider, softer distance than SOLAOne and SOLA Elan also utilizes a more extensive Design by Rx scheme, referred to as Physiologically Mapped Optics.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this just the EU branded HDV?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Is this just the EU branded HDV?
    No, it is a completely different lens design.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So which design will Sola/Zeiss be discontinuing now that this wonderful lens is available?

Oh yeah, none.

I'm all for advancements in lenses but how many lenses do we need. I feel that the lens companies, and I mean all of them, would come out a bit more credible and believable if they would REPLACE some lenses, not just add more and more designs. Darryl says this is an advancement on the SolaOne design so why not just update the design and still call it SolaOne and quit making the older, inferior design.

I know I'm being touchy or testy but if these NEW designs are so much better, why do the old designs stay on the market. I compare it to the car industry. Honda doesn't keep making dozens of designs based on the accord and rename them. They make the NEW accord better than before and QUIT making the old design.

Seems like snake oil to me.
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    So which design will Sola/Zeiss be discontinuing now that this wonderful lens is available? Oh yeah, none... if these NEW designs are so much better, why do the old designs stay on the market.
    Often, sucessful older-generation progressive lens designs continue to enjoy distribution after the introduction of more advanced lens designs in order to service eye care professionals or retail chains seeking to offer "value" or "budget" progressive lenses to certain patients who are more price conscious.

Generally, as a progressive lens design matures and becomes obsolete, the cost of the lens steadily declines. Consequently, it's just basic economics, not snake oil.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    I guess they're afraid that if they don't continue the old designs people who want these may go to another brand, and to be fair the likes of the XL and Compact (original version, not Ultra) to name but 2 are still fairly big sellers despite the fact they no longer actively market them. And so far they haven't really pushed this design at all, first heard about it around a year ago and even now very little info about on it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know its not snake oil and I realize that a lot of work and science goes into the new lens designs coming out. I just wish lens companies would take a hard stance on maybe two or three lenses at the most and scrap the rest.

I know it will never happen.:hammer:

To me it seems to be based on the buying publics short attention span and the manufactures need to have something new and cutting edge.:idea:

As far as KITT's comment about the XL and Compact. I agree they are good lens designs. They are also rather old designs. So it still leaves me wondering does Sola feel the SolaOne is better and in-turn represents their brand better? I would think it would cost the company more in the long run to keep so many brands on the market.

Occupation
    They do have rather alot alright. From all I can think of the Elan will make 21, that are currently available, when you include all the Zeiss, Sola, AO & Optiswiss PAL's. So far I've:

gradal
    gt2
    brevis/brevity
    experience
    pal-p (CZV subsidiary-Optiswiss)
    compact
    pro-15
    pro easy
    pez
    b-active
    explorer (not sure if it's still available)
    synchrony
    vip
    graduate
    sola1
    solamax
    percepta
    xl
    compact ultra
    std. prog.
    elan

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is one thing wrong with this lens. It is SOLA. As an ECP we are only selling Zeiss Lenses.

The chains and mass retail will sell Sola, We sell Zeiss. Take a stand.

To be the best, you need to offer the best.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by K Dog View Post
    There is one thing wrong with this lens. It is SOLA. As an ECP we are only selling Zeiss Lenses.

Afraid they're not planning anything new on the Zeiss front anytime soon. Only thing I've heard is that the GT2 will soon be available in a 1.60 version to finish off the range.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by K Dog View Post

No offense, but this post makes little sense. Sola and Zeiss are different how? Name? When it all boils down to it, they're in bed together. Maybe not the same company, but close enough. It's like saying "We don't sell Essilor, we only sell Varilux."

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    No offense, but this post makes little sense. Sola and Zeiss are different how? Name? When it all boils down to it, they're in bed together. Maybe not the same company, but close enough.
    SOLA and ZEISS are both brands of Carl Zeiss Vision, just as Toyota and Lexus (the luxury arm) are both divisions of Toyota Motors. SOLA progressive lenses are designed by a specific group of lens designers in Adelaide, Australia, whereas ZEISS progressive lenses are designed by a different group of lens designers in Aalen, Germany.

It actually makes good sense to rely primarily on ZEISS progressive lenses as an independent eye care professional. ZEISS progressive lenses have very little presence in retail chains, which allows you to differentiate yourself more easily while minimizing comparison shopping. Also, the ZEISS brand enjoys considerably greater consumer awareness than the SOLA brand.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's all well and good, but you can't say "I refuse to sell Sola lenses on principal because they're sold in chains!" then turn around and say you're taking a stand by selling lenses made by the same company (CZV). You're supporting the company one way or the other, and most consumers couldn't care either way as long as they can see.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'm not suggesting that you should refuse to sell SOLA or any other brand on principle. I was speaking only of the potential economic and marketing advantages involved.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'll admit I have progressive design fatigue as well.

What are we to do out here in the field?

If we have to analyze every new permutation of every one of the big four's lenses (Varilux, Hoya, Shamir, CZV) we're going to go nuts.

I like the car analogy, I really do.

I think three or four progressives per company would suffice: budget, general purpose, maybe a couple special flavors like a shorty.

Keep the brand constant.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I think you've coined a new phrase for the industry!!!!:idea:

Do you think I could file for disability with Social Security for that.

I think most Optical Professionals are suffering from PDF.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Technical Info

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    SOLA and ZEISS are both brands of Carl Zeiss Vision, just as Toyota and Lexus (the luxury arm) are both divisions of Toyota Motors. SOLA progressive lenses are designed by a specific group of lens designers in Adelaide, Australia, whereas ZEISS progressive lenses are designed by a different group of lens designers in Aalen, Germany.
    I'm heading to the product launch in November in Auckland New Zealand. I know we'll get plenty of information on features and benefits, but where can I find the technical data on the lens design itself?

I work as a consultant training staff on product designs, do's and don'ts and their limitations if they are not qualified or registered. What I am finding is the GT23D and it's contempories across the board from HOYA - Essilor, etc. have trouble with the reading zone if the add is above 1.75. Many clients are preferring the old front surface designs (if they can't afford the individualised lens series at the top end.)

Will this lens address any of the issues created by semi optimisation in high add powers?

Thanks for your help :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :drop:
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

What are we to do out here in the field?

If we have to analyze every new permutation of every one of the big four's lenses (Varilux, Hoya, Shamir, CZV) we're going to go nuts.
    Stop whinging!

OK take the equivalent statement from another eye health professional -- If optometrists had to learn every new eye health discovery they'd go nuts. Do you know how that sounds?

Is this the reason we d.o.'s tend to get a bad rap from optometry, and there is little if any cooperation for us to increase our practice scopes world-wide? Do they view us as sales people who teach our clients that optical lenses compare with cars and TVs?

Lift the profession, suck it up, learn about the lenses. Basically - we all need to do what we were trained to do!

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarySue View Post
    :drop:

Stop whinging!

OK take the equivalent statement from another eye health professional -- If optometrists had to learn every new eye health discovery they'd go nuts. Do you know how that sounds?

Is this the reason we d.o.'s tend to get a bad rap from optometry, and there is little if any cooperation for us to increase our practice scopes world-wide? Do they view us as sales people who teach our clients that optical lenses compare with cars and TVs?

Lift the profession, suck it up, learn about the lenses. Basically - we all need to do what we were trained to do!
    Well back to basic.
    Actually itīs all about clear and wide vision area. NOTHING ELSE.
    Forget anything else. The companies will try to sell their products different ways, to sell YOU a HISTORY. It has always been so. They cant really tell you the different from previous designs, so itīs much more easy to tell you a history. A history we all understand.
    Ex: Head mover, eye mover, leisure design, previous lens design, quality of life design etc, etc.
    Your recommended solution (in the optical- and other businesses) is not better than the weakest information you have, and in our business the weakest information is the lens design. Even the sales rep, can only tell you a history. I can tell you a little secret. "The lens is not better than the software programmer from the manufacturer"!! This statement is 100 % correct.!

Welcome to Crazy Land.

Mike.

Rising Star
    Occupation

No real info there. Why is it that they think

that images of smiling models and a nice scening view, are more informative than power and astigmatism maps?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'm heading to the product launch in November in Auckland New Zealand. I know we'll get plenty of information on features and benefits, but where can I find the technical data on the lens design itself
    SOLA Elan hasn't launched globally yet, so there probably isn't a lot of information available from the websites. However, if you want to e-mail me, I can send you an electronic copy of the SOLA Elan white paper, which is quite detailed.

that images of smiling models and a nice scening view, are more informative than power and astigmatism maps?
    I agree, which is why Carl Zeiss Vision also makes extensive contour plots, product comparisons, and numerical results available in technical pieces for each of our products, including SOLA Elan.

Of course, contour plots are only indicative of performance. Many factors contribute to visual performance and wearer satisfaction. Also, contour plots require an understanding of progressive optics in order to interpret them properly.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Rising Star
    Occupation

Contour plots

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    I agree, which is why Carl Zeiss Vision also makes extensive contour plots

So, where can we see therse?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    So, where can we see therse?
    Conveniently available for download from the Carl Zeiss Vision website(s). Just look for the white paper for the product in question. CZV sales professionals should also have hard copies available.

In fact, the Zeiss Individual white paper alone has nearly 20 different contour plots and optical comparisons. I often have a hard time locating even basic details regarding the features of lens designs from some lens manufacturers, on the other hand...
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information