Thread: AR/Progressives: I need a affordable alternatives

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper AR/Progressives: I need a affordable alternatives

Hi there! This is my first post. I work at a brand new office (opened in April). The doctor here stresses the fact that she does not want to sell crap and we currently ONLY offer Crizal Alize and Crizal Avance (for $135/150). I want to try to talk her into offering an affordable alternative but what's good out there? We have tons (from our lab) to offer. So suggestions please??

Also we only offer Varilux lens for progressives, affordable alternative to that too? I suggestion Ovations or Natural?

Help an office out
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by optidiamond; 07-24-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: title

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The Natural is a good alternative to Varilux branded PAL's.

My lab Optogenics offers a good hydrophobic A/R (A/R 24) that favours Alize'.

Check them out, optogenics.com
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've used the AR/24 that scriptfiller mentioned, and I have to say it is a terrific coating...

another coating I've used is the Stainless from I-coat...very nice, cleans well and is durable...

Pentax makes a durable coating as well...it was very hard for me to edge though...super slick!

Don't be "afraid" to try the "house-brand" coatings, many of them are good quality and will do well for you...one thing I do here is order them for myself or a family member first and see how they do...if they can stand up to the criticism of family members or close friends (who don't care if they hurt your feelings or not ;))...then they will perform for your toughest patient as well.

PS...I'm not affiliated in any way by either company...just satisfied with the results from these coatings.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Crizal EC!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I use Carat advantage from Laramy-K and Shamir Autograph progressives,

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Wave prog arc from india

we can provide good quality of prog arc at $50/$70 ex work india
    if you are intrested we can provide you Rx work

Quote Originally Posted by optidiamond View Post
    Hi there! This is my first post. I work at a brand new office (opened in April). The doctor here stresses the fact that she does not want to sell crap and we currently ONLY offer Crizal Alize and Crizal Avance (for $135/150). I want to try to talk her into offering an affordable alternative but what's good out there? We have tons (from our lab) to offer. So suggestions please??

Also we only offer Varilux lens for progressives, affordable alternative to that too? I suggestion Ovations or Natural?

Help an office out
    Thanks in advance

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not really a cheaper alternative, but personally I prefer Zeiss progressives to Varilux. We actually deal with a couple Docs who always recommend because it's the only progressive they know the name of.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Accolade on the lenses. It's so good, you can use it instead of the Varilux products. If it isn't as inexpensive as you had hoped, PM me and I could share some labs.

We offer Crizal Alize. We sell it at $80. I had no idea that anyone out there was offering it at $135.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Help an office out
    Thanks in advance
    Game, Set, and Match, to the marketing team at Essilor. There are many smaller companies that make a good quality pal. You could use a Younger Image with Teflon and still provide a quality product. You could also use a Concord with Brilliance Ultra from Galaxy. Remember that your patients do not have your level of knowledge of brand names. Set the expectation in the patient's mind that you are using a quality lens and they will accept it.(if it's not complete crap) The lenses I mentioned are not a direct replacement for a Physio, but a lower cost alternative with good performance. If you or your doctor have an rx, I can surface a pair of Concords and send them to you.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Back to the origional question...

Affordable alternatives:
    This is kind of like saying: I want or think I need a Ferri but I can't afford one would a miata be just as good.
    High priced lenses and high priced coatings, high priced frames are ment to be upgrades. If you can't afford them that's why the origional, i.e. bifocals, uncoated, lower priced items are there.
    If the patient wants to see but doesn't want to spend the money why give him a low priced inferior piece of junk when a high quality product without the features will do the job better?
    No reason to use a poor quality progressive with lots of distortion, or a coating that will scratch or peal off in a short period of time just so the patient can look like he has something worth while.
    Use the good stuff. If you can't afford a laser guided CNC router, use a hand model. If you'r carefull the product will do good work and last. You just won't be able to tell your friends about how you got a knock off that "looks" as good.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks guys for all your input!
    :cheers:
    I actually just found out looking there's only 2 alternatives to Crizal offered through our lab.. (Sharpview & Zeiss)..
    :drop: So... thats that.
    But I really appreciate the help on the progressive alternatives. I will let her know and hopefully she listens. And yeah I agree 135 is outrageous for A/R but hey its her office, what can I say

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I put a Sharpview AR on my husband's new lenses because I wanted to see how it performed. I was looking for a less expensive AR to offer patients that didn't want to spend for Crizal Avance. He's had them about 3 or 4 months and they have a lot of scratches on them.

I admit he is hard on glasses but I am not impressed.

Zeiss Carat Advantage is pretty good but I haven't found anything yet as good as Crizal Avance.

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As several other posters have already stated, we primarily use the house brand a/r. We switched over about six months ago and so far I haven't had any problems.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks guys for all your input!

Don't be a stranger!:cheers:

(btw: how was your "first time" posting experience?)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information