Thread: Sunglass trends

Bad address email on file

Sunglass trends

I'm being interviewed this week by the local newpaper about what's new regarding "sunglass fashion trends." I thought this was a very interesting question and very debatable. If you think about the question, you'll see it can be a very deep subject.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Good subject! To help you along, I'll 'stick' this thread so it stays near the top of the forum for a while.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    Here (in the Pacific Northwest if that matters) we are seeing a lot of drill-mount higher fashion frames with gradient tints. I'm seeing this in the chain that I work in as well as when I am just "out & about" at Nordstroms...& some opticals I stop by to check around. Also, there seems to be a higher awareness regarding polarized! Consumers seem very motivated.

Optigoddess, thanks for your reply. I do think geographic location is a factor. I also agree with your opionion on polarized lenses, however, this crosses into function rather than fashion. I live in SW Florida and I see more people buying for function, not so much for fashion. I guess the large shield designs are big with celebs etc. but I don't show any like that and I really don't see many people wearing them. I here they don't sell thru and I can understand why. I have about 20% of my inventory as suns and most of what I sell gets turned into RX. Are sport suns fashion suns?? Could be, but that might be a matter of opinion. I think fashion suns are styles such as Dior, Fendi, Gucci, etc. Silhouette has a very nice line of polarized suns in the Minimal Art collection that I sell. They're very cool looking and I'd say that is a perfect combination of fashion and function.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

re:Sunglass Trends

I am a Luxottica Rep

PBS
    As the risk of being accused of posting an "Infomercial" here is what I have been told so far. It is a little early to comment as we are just, getting our new releases in.

Things will be very different from the past or even last year.

There will be a lot of materials , Plastic Polorized and Poly Polorized in lines that have never had them in the past.

There will be a lot of releases that are not suitable for RX. The main reason is the large market for contact lens wearers and post corneal surgery consumers who do not want to stick to styles of traditional sunglasses. For example: Wraps should be big.

3-O's are still missing the mark on Sunglasses. This is a full time, year round segment of their business. !/4 to 1/3 of their inventory needs to be dedicated to this segment if they are to be sucessfull in the sunglass business. Staff must have proper training.

Hope this helps.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    In a location I work out of is about 85% sun ware. When we do sell ophthalmic we are shocked. 71% of our business is from tourism. I would say plastic, wrap, and polarized lenses. That’s why Oakley, Ray ban, Maui Jim lead the way.

Most of all I noticed the international tourists come with a name brand in mind to buy. Brother if God himself (or herself) came down from the heavens to change their minds, forget it. So I would also include name recognition is very important.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Two Words: "Drill Mounts"!

Without a doubt, rimless drill mounts are THE "in" thing. They are coming in small rectangles, aviators and large wrap styles. Many are lighter fashion tints. My personal fave is the titanium hingeless rimless with polycarb polarized lenses by Maui Jim.
    Another thing that appears to be hot is mirror coatings.
    Like rep said, a lot of these new styles are not Rx-able, at least not easily.

Blake

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Celloloid Impact..

In India, Rayban means Goggles of Gods.
    But recently they have hell of quality and spurious inputs and the wearers are being cheated for their blind faith on the name.
    For all others, the in thing today is Out thing tomorrow.
    The Hindi film heros are the trend setter.
    Earlier, heros would never use goggles in Hindi (INDIAN) films
    That was the nessecity of a Hindi Villian.
    But with Shahrukh Khan playing antihero role, the scenerio changed. I have even fit + 12+3Cyl to a old Catract pt. just because he wanted a Bazigar like frame!!

I am giving you indegenious Super Heros and their corresponding Styles / shapes:

Shahrukh Khan: 1997-99 : Film Bazigar(The ultimate adventurer)
    People demanded Bazigar frames: Carbon fibre in Pento shape.
    It was first ever Rx and Sun Hit by virtue of a Film .
    Bobby Deol: 98-00 Film Barasat ( The Rain)
    Litterally we sold all kinds of Ovals and ovals and ovals in all materials. Rx and Suns.
    2000: and later:
    Hrutik Roshan :Kaho na Pyaar Hai (Say, it's Love)
    All sorts of squares and 3 Pcs.
    Now, we are scary of a film getting Super hit as it just makes our
    stocks obsolate in no time.!!
    Yes, we do had some demand for "Men in Black ". But that fed away quietly as Raybans are Raybans only if they are in Arista Aviator !!
    Majority People still think here that Goggles are only for Style and it hardly make any difference if you do not use the goggles.
    Still,Rayban worshipers are there.
    We dont have snow in our region. It's hot.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile raybans

Since Sanddeep mentioned it , for what its worth ,especially to the newcomers in this business, is why they are called Raybans. As a marketing scheme back in the 50,s i believe, B&L was looking to come up with something clever to market them publicly as they had now gained fame in WW2
    ......Someone replied well what do they do, they ban rays, so they simply turned the name around and thus was born RAYBAN. Been that way since.

Bad address email on file Don Lee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sunglass trends

I see that the magnetic clip ons are really big in the Midwest. I've also noticed that more people are upgrading to polarized lenses. A very good thing.

Don

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I always tell my customers that polarisation is to the 21st century what UV protection was to the 20th. You can't perceive the effects of UV but you sure can notice the difference associated with a polarized lens.

I still think shields are never gonna catch with mass public. At the least in the perceivable future. Where I come from people like the ability to cover their eyes with the least lens possible for their face shape. Who knows...maybe if RoboCop came back in a big way.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    One question and thanks in advance for all replies.

Since polarized lens is so popular nowdays. What will be the best material? Poly? CR-39? or glass? What is the fair wholesale price for a pair of polarized lens?

One of my Japanese gave me a pair of photogrey polarized lens with AR on the back. It is the best sunlens I ever had in my life but it is so heavy !

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Normally I would say glass, but in the case of a Maui or other multi-layer pol. lens it's a bit of a misnomer. Poly, of course scratches easier but on the Maui you have to penetrate 2 to 3 layers before you even get to the lens. I think it's just a personal preference. For biz stylin' wear glass, for sporty wear poly, for fashion sensibility wear cr39.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Thanks ED,

That is a great feedback.

I need more replies, please! Come on! You optical professionals
    out there, you know what the market needs!

Thanks again

Jerry
    Back to US and proud to work for this country.

OptiBoard Novice

Interesting Choice

Hi

What paper and type of article are you being interviewed by. It seems they would ask questions on perscriptions based on your profession and ask a fashion designer or someone in the fashion industry whats hot in sunglasses. No offense.

Are there any publications strictly on sunglasses? 20/20 hits on them somtimes but isnt there a publication on sunglasses?

I am in California and what is hot in sunglasses is up in the air right now. The new styles are yet to be seen the sunglasses season is some what over and the new season will determine whats hot.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We are doing a ton of polarized, cr-39 mostly. The biggest change we have seen in the lab is we are not doing nearly as many sunglass tints. Transitions has taken away that market.

Wraps are not as prevalent as last couple of years, drill and grooves are in.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

It seems many companies are showing many shields and non Rx styles!

I hate that! 70% of my business is Rx

It's almost time the 2004 Suns! I hope there are more RX styles this year!

5 years ago it was all about glass! Now cr-39 and poly!

I still like glass myself but most of my cutomers say they are too heavy!

G-15 was about 90% of my sales 2 years ago! I'm selling much more brown now!

Here in the midwest, everyone wants magnetic clips.

More people are choosing polarized lenses on their Rx suns once the benefits are explained to them

I have noticed, too, that the sun marketing materials are showing larger frames, but our market has not shown any interest in that. Only people who ride motorcylcles like deeper suns.

Paw

I agree!

Big is only for hollywood!

I discourage clip-ons. I would rather sell a second pair! I tell people you should have an inside pair and an outside pair! I try to sell transitions as the outside pair as well. Also I say work and Play! Play are suns or transitions. You should have your play pair in your car when you are at work and your work pair in your car when you play!

If they put transitions in their second pair they will still have glases if the lose one!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re: re:Sunglass Trends

rep said:
    I am a Luxottica Rep

PBS
    3-O's are still missing the mark on Sunglasses. This is a full time, year round segment of their business. !/4 to 1/3 of their inventory needs to be dedicated to this segment if they are to be sucessfull in the sunglass business. Staff must have proper training.

Hope this helps.
    You just made the proper statement, which is as old as the optical trade and I am glad it came from a Luxottica rep.

I only want to make a comment which might be of some value:

There has always been a cheaper mass markert in sunglasses sold from flea markets to drug stores.

The 3-O's have always been missing out with the exception of the high class sunglasses that sold at a to high a price to make it to the el-cheapo places and then were sold by the O's.

These days you find old names like Ray-Ban just about everywhere.

Somewhere there should be a frame manufacturer that comes out with good styles, whatever it is, that will make it only to the 3-O's and guarantees not to throw it to the flea-markets or even the Wal-Marts of this decade.

I'm with Don - magnetic polarized clip-ons sold with the frame in exact shapes. Easy sell! (I'm in the midwest as well)

shutterbug

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anything and everything polarized.

I agree with Rep (really!)...

YOU CAN'T SELL IT IF YOU DON'T STOCK IT !!!!

Thread Information