Thread: Bing.com

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bing.com

Has anyone given it a try yet?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have, mostly because my Son-in-Law works for Powerset which was acquired by Microsoft and because they are using some of the Powerset technology for Bing. So far I have not seen anything to separate it from Google except for a better interface. I suspect as they user more of Powerset's natural language interface code they will be giving Google a run for their money.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bing seems to place less relevance on back links, and more relevance on the actual domain name, the actual content, and the historic stability of the content than google does. It seems to be a different search ethic, rewarding permanence

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I've used Google since, oh, 'bout the turn of the century, and switched to Bing a couple of weeks ago.

The reason I switched is because IMO Google is getting too big and creepy for it's britches. They can go into markets and take a major loss and in various non-search businesses (as they have and continue to do) and put the little guys out of business. And being a little guy myself I'm allways rooting for them! It's really worse than the situation with Microsoft when the government went after tham for anti-trust violations.

Now as a free-marketeer I'm conflicted on the very nature of "anti-trust" I think the free market can work a lot of these things out, by and by, so I've made my free market choice not to use Google, or at least not as my first choice.

From my experience these last two weeks I find it comparable. I think Bing has a more attractive user interface. There have been a couple of searches where I found more of what I was looking for by switching back to Google for a search or two.

It's an interesting dynamic...Google is to search as Microsoft is to Windows however there is a lower barier to switching search engines versus operating systems, yet Google is maintaining it's market share. Bing only gained 1% up from it's predescessor (Windows Live Search) since launching. (At least as of 10 days ago or so.)

Google is even trying to go after Microsoft's home turf with it's new OS "Google Chrome" which is going to be a flavor of Linux. Just as MS is having trouble gaining traction against Google in search, I see Google's OS as being a limited success at best. If the web was the end-all of everything it have a shot...but you want to hook up your digital camera to it and use your favorite software and get any kid in the neighborhood to come over and fix it when things go bad...all problems for Google. That said, I'm no nay sayer...I think it will be great for netbooks and similar devices and competition is allways good.

Thread Information