Thread: Opinions Wanted on AIT Optima Edger

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

I'm considering buying the AIT Optima Patternless Edger. I'm from the old school and know nothing about patternless edgers. My only reason for choosing this machine is that I think I can get fast and reliable repair service when necessary. Other manufacturers don't seem to have full time local technicians available when needed. While I haven't shopped for any other brands, I wanted some feedback on the Optima.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

I just had the Maxima installed in my new lab last week. This does everything the Optima does plus grooving. Our lab real estate area is a little scant so we wanted the groove feature. Other than a few other bells and whistles it does the same thing.

I have edged less than 50 lenses on it so far but have been very happy with the performance. At the time of installation, I was intimidated by the machine technology but within a few days I became quite comfortable with it. I don't know if you plan on buying or leasing but they currently have a deal on the table for $1000 + off.

Feel free to e mail me if you should have any additional questions.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Get an Essilor (Gerber) Gamma or If u have to, a Kappa, which is their newest model. The kappa is still going thru some growing pains, but is based on the incredible Gamma which will do everything you want, and more, and needs no service. My advice...Insist on a Gamma!

[This message has been edited by Barry45RPM (edited 07-21-2000).]

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Well I have used the Essilor the Santinelli the Briot and a few others.. they more or less all were about the same when it came down to it (other then price :) )
    Right now in my lab I run 2 Briot 6000 patternless edgers.. between them I have around 130,000 cuts :) I had some problems when I first got them but they were fixed up under the warrenty since then in the last 3 years other then the usual (wheel wear) I only replaced one bearing on the wheel shaft on one machine.
    They are easier to maintain since you can do everything from a menu on the scanner (set the axis,sizing etc. etc.) BUT they one problem is that ALL these edgers have a mother board that can't be fixed if something happens to it..
    One thing I can not STRESS ENOUGH is get a very GOOD surge protecter.. not some $20 S.P. down at office depot either.. I payed $175 for each of mine and when you are talking about a $23,000 "toy" then it's well worth the investment in my opinion. Keep it oiled (where possible) and clean and you will love it.. just don't fall for the hype of "our machine never has problems" ..I have yet run into that machine.. when you have moving parts sooner or later you have problems :) .. I'm happy with mine and if you are doing the production it is well worth the investment .. start to finish (trace to edge to inserting) it takes about 2 and 1/2 minutes a pair :)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you all for your advice, especially Jeff for recommending a quality surge protecter. Your absolutely right and I will. I'm in S. Florida and the electricity is going out with the daily summer storms that we have. If anybody listening I decided to go all out and ordered the Maxima. I've always been a sucker and have to buy the latest and the item that has all the bells and whistles. I hope I made the right decision. I guess only time will tell.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Dude,

Before, if you havn't already, made your mind up you do know the majority of companies will let you use a demo in your office for a week or two :) .. also Briot is in Ft. Lauderdale you know :)
    As for those rolling "brown" out's know what ya mean, here up the coast in Cent. FL. we are getting the same thing.. my protectors are "popping" like crazy from surges.. the thing is that even if they don't "hurt" the machine a surge will do funny things to the tracers and the lens will come out and weird shapes with out the surge protecter.. it's weird but before I got mine in if a surge hit then the edger would cut the lens in a perfect circle.. of course I would have something like a high index polarized PAL or a Varilux on there :) ..optical law of headaches says " the more expensive the lens blanks the more you F'm up" .. :) f you have made up your mind hope all the bells "ring" and the whistle "don't pop an ear drum" :)

Jeff "grind'em if ya got'em" Trail

OptiBoard Apprentice
    In the last eight months I looked at the different edgers went to a couple of different shows. I had AIT in the office as
    well as Briot. Got our best deal through Briot. I had an essilor pattern edger, but whenever it came to doing work to it I had to take a lesson on how to fix it myself.
    So after listening to all the sales reps Jargon. We had ended up with the briot.
    I am not one to be enthusiastic( been in the optical buisness too long I guess) But knock on wood have been delighted with it. Does all my materials, yes I still do too much glass. Also I am not a rep, just a poor optician, running a MD. office and doing all our cutting and edging. One last thing Briot
    was one of the few that was the smallest to fit in my small lab area.

------------------
    Bruce Dixon

Thread Information