Thread: Santinelli le-9000 spindle bearing repair ???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Santinelli le-9000 spindle bearing repair ???

My LE-9000 has been making spindle bearing noises since I got it-- I was told it was the belt, but it has definitely shown itself to be the inner (closest to the wheel) bearing. The squeal changes with wheel speed (even when stopping) and the bearing housing is warm near the inner bearing.

If you please, has anyone attempted to replace this themselves? Does anyone have access to a service manual for this machine?

I consider myself a advanced amateur tinker (full machine shop in basement, setup 50+ automotive gear-sets, & rebuilt numerous engines, etc) and am very certain I can handle this.

With that note of confidence, I will very much like to get a little info on it before I take the machine apart. ANY help is MUCH appreciated!
    -TallPeter

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep-Power View Post
    My LE-9000 has been making spindle bearing noises since I got it-- I was told it was the belt, but it has definitely shown itself to be the inner (closest to the wheel) bearing. The squeal changes with wheel speed (even when stopping) and the bearing housing is warm near the inner bearing.

If you please, has anyone attempted to replace this themselves? Does anyone have access to a service manual for this machine?

I consider myself a advanced amateur tinker (full machine shop in basement, setup 50+ automotive gear-sets, & rebuilt numerous engines, etc) and am very certain I can handle this.

With that note of confidence, I will very much like to get a little info on it before I take the machine apart. ANY help is MUCH appreciated!
    Never fear!! OpticLabRat should be along soon to advise. Leo knows all about these. Here's his web site for his business which is an Optiboard sponsor.
    http://www.patternless.com/
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Never fear!! OpticLabRat should be along soon to advise. Leo knows all about these. Here's his web site for his business which is an Optiboard sponsor.
    http://www.patternless.com/
    Thank You!!!

Yes, this sounds like a 5 minute phone call.

Give me a call in the morning.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Leo-
    thanks for the reply-
    I actually ordered a new belt, but as you may already know-- that was not it.

The bearing has taken to wining almost all the time. The bearing housing, at the wheel end, is quite warm, while the pulley end is cool as a cucumber.

I took the plunge Saturday afternoon and disassembled/removed the wheel shaft assembly from the machine.

All that was easy enough-- the trick was removing the bearing caps from the assembly. I had to get the bearings out so that I could order new ones. Removing these requires what I know as a "pin spanner wrench". Well, I think that is the only tool I don't have. :hammer:

I took the shaft assebly home Saturday night and proceeded to make a set of spanners for this thing. The trick was to find the appropriate size tube to fit the pins into. The handles are a cut-in-half push-rod, out of an engine. I found I had to use drill stock for the pins. Regualr screw did not hold up at all (hence the multiple drill holes in the smaller spanner). The spanners worked great!

The bearings are: NTN 7004C P4 Their dimensions are: 12mm wide, 42mm OD, 20mm ID.

I have found the bearings locally and will be picking them up in the AM.

I can't imagine what Santinelli Service gets for this job... :drop:
    -TallPeter

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    fixed it myself-- needed new bearings.

I did a nice writeup with photos and all, but I guess I don't have permission to post them??

It was a bit involved-- had to make custom spanner wrenches and the bearings alone were close to $400. (a matched set of Torrington APEC 11 thrust bearings)

I also found out that the greased-style of lubrication that Santinelli/Nidek originally went with was the root cause of my trouble. I initially used some special Mobil bearing grease with these new bearings (which raised eyebrows at the bearing supply house, but he sold it to me) , but the squeal came back in a few days. I then figured out how to add 80W gear oil to the assembly(an a detailed discussion on the oil with the bearing supply house). After cleaning out all the grease and supplying the bearing assembly with enough oil to form a pool, they have been quiet since & is polishing better than ever! :D (also thanks to a new polish wheel from Inland Diamond)
    Last edited by Jeep-Power; 11-10-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: clarification/spelling
    -TallPeter

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Let me know if you ever need a job!!!!!!

LOL

That looks like my spanner wrench:bbg:
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh wow-- they posted my photos! Thanks! :cheers:

Where are you located? In this economy, I'll take any opening I can get! ;)
    -TallPeter

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Jeep-Power - What a great write-up, nice work!
    -Steve

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    these are still humming along quietly-- two years & haven't had to touch them.
    -TallPeter

Thread Information