Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.50 Add?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

4.50 Add?

I just recieved an Rx with add power of 4.50... OD wants her in a PAL. What to do?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by misstara007 View Post
    I just recieved an Rx with add power of 4.50... OD wants her in a PAL. What to do?
    Tell them you can't get that lens and count your blessings. Or send them back to the doctors office for them to fabricate them.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Or send them back to the doctors office for them to fabricate them.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So how did that +3.75 potential progressive work out?

Sorry for the skepticism but didn't we just go through this?

Check out the pictures of add powers and intermediate limitations from this course on progressives by Dayrl Meister.

http://www.opticampus.com/cecourse.p...essive_lenses/

Show this to the OD if need be!:)
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-25-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added comments...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See if I can make these pictures appear-

1. Because of the first two points, the size of the progressive corridor will depend upon both the length of the corridor and the Add power. This means that lenses with shorter corridor lengths or higher Add powers will by necessity provide less intermediate vision and mid-range utility.

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-25-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Woo-Who It worked!!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Hybrid

or if you can find someone brave enough to free form a backside pal 2.5 add on a conventional 2.0 add blank. There might be some misalignment but it's better than nothing. Too bad my freeform generator is still on my wish list.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

+ 4.50 Add

That other one I was asking about with the high add worked out the last time I checked with her which was a couple of weeks after dispense...

I knew that's what you guys would say... (FT is the way to go) I know I know.... this Rx was written at MY practice, so I have to fill it. The pt. has worn PAL for YEARS and last rx had a +4.00 add... My lab is going to try and get me a free form lens (Succeed or Autograph) Yet to hear from them if they even CAN.

We'll see....

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you concidered sitting down with the doctor and explaining the error of his ways?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That other one I was asking about with the high add worked out the last time I checked with her which was a couple of weeks after dispense...

I knew that's what you guys would say... (FT is the way to go) I know I know.... this Rx was written at MY practice, so I have to fill it. The pt. has worn PAL for YEARS and last rx had a +4.00 add... My lab is going to try and get me a free form lens (Succeed or Autograph) Yet to hear from them if they even CAN.

We'll see....
    Your docs need to take some lessons on what lenses are functional or even made. Ask them which progressive they prescribe for that particular RX. At the focal length of that 4.50 their eyes are going to be converging more than what the progressive is tooled for, so they'll not have any intermediate at all. Have you considered the TRO blended backside lens? You won't have any intermediate either way, but you can get the TRO in any material, and it's as invisible as a progressive.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I knew it!!!

Ryser's Rule of progressive's works!:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Your docs need to take some lessons on what lenses are functional or even made. Ask them which progressive they prescribe for that particular RX. At the focal length of that 4.50 their eyes are going to be converging more than what the progressive is tooled for, so they'll not have any intermediate at all. Have you considered the TRO blended backside lens? You won't have any intermediate either way, but you can get the TRO in any material, and it's as invisible as a progressive.
    Great advice and suggestion!:cheers:

Occupation
    Explain the situation to the patient and make it in a D-35 or 2 pairs 1 SVD and 1 SVN.

At a +4.50 add, patient barely uses the bifocals already, unless reading while touching her nose which brongs up another subject (BI prism).

The OD's suggestion is just that, it's up to you as a good optician to explain the options and consult with the prescribing doctor if necessary.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper A progressive lens with an add of 4.50..................

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Ryser's Rule of progressive's works!:D

Thanks Fester...........

A progressive lens with an add of 4.50, if you could even get it, would be a guaranteed object to refund all the money you took of the patient, and he would badmouth you all around town that you wanted him to be dizzy for the rest of his life with 2 miles of distortion in front of his eyes.

Never tried before: Give him a lens with a 1.00 addition, has only 1/2 mile of distortion and put a stick on bifocal with an add of 3.50 on the minus side. Could look a little different but might even work.

....................:D......................

Occupation
    Chris, Jameselex had a great suggestion on using a back side progressive surfaced onto a front side progressive although additively your still in the same boat with the amount of garbage in the lens. His idea is sound though and could be done with a blended round seg on the back of a low add progressive, this could provide a similar lens to the At Last without the line, and have less garbage than an all PAL choice. It's gonna be nice when labs eventually open up to alternative designs. I have been saying it for years and I have been focusing my energy on design and math for that day.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At the focal length of that 4.50 their eyes are going to be converging more than what the progressive is tooled for...
    Right. That's about 22cm which works out to a about a 3.5mm inset- more if the distance PD is very wide and/or if the distance power is plus.

+4.50 PAL? None that I'm aware of. However, one might bump the distance +.50 and use a +4.00 Add PAL, with the doctor's approval of course.

... My lab is going to try and get me a free form lens (Succeed or Autograph) ...
    Might be a problem getting that much power on the back, especially if the distance is plus, if they can do it at all, with or without the proper inset. If they can give you the power but not the inset, consider increasing the distance decentration to compensate. I suspect the German opticians would have a better shot at this, probably with the Gradal Individual, which has the free-form surface on the front along with the progressive optics. The inset is also customizable from zero to who knows how far in. Odds are you'll have to fit an auxiliary pair of readers or segmented multifocals.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I think the best solution for you is to find someone to cut a 3.50 freeform on the back of a 1.00 add traditional PAL. I know someone who would do it just to see if it would work. PM me your contact info if you're interested and I'll have him call you.
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Bad address email on file NgCognito's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Suggestion

go to www.thelensguru.com He/she will lead you to +4.00 adds. There are none listed any higher.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At the focal length of that 4.50 their eyes are going to be converging more than what the progressive is tooled for, so they'll not have any intermediate at all. Have you considered the TRO blended backside lens? You won't have any intermediate either way, but you can get the TRO in any material, and it's as invisible as a progressive.
    BINGO! Dragon is correct again. This is the real issue:

The patient couldn't use a 4.50 add if it were available because it won't be at the correct inset. Even at a +3.50 add there isn't any intermediate available, so might as well use a blended.

The TRO seg actually is a "no-line", although it isn't a progressive. With AR, it almost completely disappears. But on a +4.50, you might be able to see the blur.

I did it on a +2.75 add first time "no-line" wearer that was voted an "instant redo" by everyone in the office - including the prescribing Dr.
    I used the TRO seg w/ AR and Patient, Dr, and I was happy. The only sad ones were the ones that lost the bet.

Occupation
    Some digital PALs have a variable inset, so if you start with a low add standard PAL (.75 or 1.00), and digitally produce the majority with a customised lens, it is likely to work. I would be willing to try just to see if it could be done. Someone send me an order, and I'll have it done through my friends. Then we'll have something other than theory to discuss.
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just tell the doctor you think it ain't gonna work, and ask if he's willing to pay for it if it doesn't.

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Just tell the doctor you think it ain't gonna work, and ask if he's willing to pay for it if it doesn't.

Chip
    Pay for what? Send it to me and I'll get it done n/c just for kicks and grins- you know, just to see if it can be done. If it doesn't work, then you know the theory you use is correct, if it does work, then we have a possible "game-changer". (In which case the folks that made it would appreciate some kudos, I'm sure.) I stand to gain nothing in this, I just like to try impossible things and I have friends who help me to do so. (For all I know the calc software may reject it from the start- at least supply an Rx so we can try it...)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gettin it done is no problem. Getting the patient to see well out of it it the part that won't work.

There is no need to sell optical junk for a higher fee or better cosmetics if the optics suffer.

Chip

Even if it does "work" if the patient were given another type of bifocal to compare, he would say: "Duh, now I can really see."
    Last edited by chip anderson; 07-09-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: PS.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Maju

In pals you will get the addition between +0.75 and +3.50. So +4.50 is not available

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Gettin it done is no problem. Getting the patient to see well out of it it the part that won't work.

There is no need to sell optical junk for a higher fee or better cosmetics if the optics suffer.

Chip

Even if it does "work" if the patient were given another type of bifocal to compare, he would say: "Duh, now I can really see."
    In THEORY the patient will not see well. I agree that this is likely the case. There was a time in our not-so-distant past that science played a part in "theory". (Meaning that a hypothesis was drawn, tests were run on or against that hypothesis, and results were discussed and verified to produce a working theory.) Theory is great as long as the stus quo doesn't change. When things change, a new hypothesis needs to be drawn up, and it needs to be tested to see whether the old theory works in all cases, or a new theory is proven for different circumstances.
    In this case, customised lenses COULD be a game changer- and you'll never know as long as you sit in the stands talking about the "good 'ole days". What's the harm in testing your theory- it's PROBABLY still valid, but it may not be. Are you afraid of being wrong? Or just stubborn? I believe that anyone who is truly sure of something is not afraid to have that thing tested.
    I sometimes allow my kids (and my employess) to do things I know they shouldn't do (nothing bad or dangerous, mind you) just to show them that I know what I am talking about.

Thread Information