Thread: Strange Occurance

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Strange Occurance

Yesterday at work I experienced something strange. I was wearing my contacts but my eyes completely blurred out, as if I did'nt have them in. Fortunately I was in close proximity to an optometrist who checked my eyes out. No mucous build-up, good fit etc... He mentioned that it might have been an optic migraine or spasm. The problem seemed to dissapate over the next hour or two.
    I have been taking antihistamines lately and wonder if this could have been a factor. It was a rather helpless feeling as I was on the selling floor and couldn't even read the SKU number on a tag. Can anyone share some insight on this phenomenom?

Bad address email on file NC-OD's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hello edKENdance,

Sounds like it happened in both eyes from what your saying. As you know, the antihistimine will cause some drying of the eyes which could interfere with contacts and cause blurry vision (and rotation if they are toric lenses). Since the blurred vision came back within a hour or so, it rules out many more serious conditions. If not a tear-film problem, my next guess would be an ocular TIA.

Not knowing you or your condition I would recommend a check-up with your family physician and get some blood work done (with a cholestrol check especially).

.....and then again......could be nothing.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Cholestrol Check!? I'm relatively green but the Dr. did ask me if my right lens was toric. What is the definition of a toric lens? I'm 1.5 right . Also, please permit me a little extravagance. I've just learned how to use gifs.

Bad address email on file NC-OD's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Cool graphic....I don't have a clue how to do that.

Toric lens refer to a contact lens that corrects for astigmatism (if you have any). The more you have, the less rotation you will tolerate......doesn't sound like you have astigmatism (at least in the right eye).

The cholestrol check would be just in case it is a TIA (a mini-stroke) that is resulting from a temporary blockage of the central retinal artery (if monocular) or possibly one of the larger vessels resulting in binocular defects.

By the way, there is some evidence that links a ocular TIA's (also called amarousis fugax) to increased risk of having a general stoke with the next 3-10 year (can't remember exactly)......Don't mean to cause you any unnecessary stress though.

But if it were me, I would get a general check-up.

But even so, sometimes these little episodes of blurry vision are just a fluke never to happen again

Hope you do well.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank-you so much for your reply. I go for the full inspection on thursday and if anything interesting arises I will post it here.
    I have no idea where the high cholestrol would come from but I have to go. My wife is cooking steaks stuffed with bacon wrapped chicken breasts.:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused Chiken?

Originally posted by edKENdance
    Thank-you so much for your reply. I go for the full inspection on thursday and if anything interesting arises I will post it here.
    I have no idea where the high cholestrol would come from but I have to go. My wife is cooking steaks stuffed with bacon wrapped chicken breasts.:cheers:
    That might be pouring the cholestrol in you.Go Veg. Stop haing Nonveg. (Pass on the Dish to me..!!):p

Thread Information