Thread: Oleophobic iPhone

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Oleophobic iPhone

This should help in discussing the latest AR coating properties..
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...c_coating.html

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I may actually get one. I have been one of those cell phone haters for years. We will see in two weeks

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I may actually get one. I have been one of those cell phone haters for years. We will see in two weeks
    I should get paid for advertising for Apple.
    If you get an iPhone you will have more than a cell phone. I got the original one and have loved it, but I love Apple products. There is an app for just about anything. I do, however hate AT&T, the service is horrible, but the majority of the time I am around a wi-fi spot. $99.00 for a 3G, you cannot beat that.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensgrinder View Post
    I should get paid for advertising for Apple.
    If you get an iPhone you will have more than a cell phone. I got the original one and have loved it, but I love Apple products. There is an app for just about anything. I do, however hate AT&T, the service is horrible, but the majority of the time I am around a wi-fi spot. $99.00 for a 3G, you cannot beat that.

We have Rogers here, so AT&T is not going to be a problem. I thought of a blackberry. My work hands out blackberry's and will get one when I get my promotion (I am targeting two years with the organization and have only been there 9 months). I am at my desk 90% of the time, and for me to have a blackberry is a waste of money. Plus, I hate using my work blackberry for personal use, especially since the BB is subject to freedom of information (I work for the government).

So i started to look at it this way. I like email, so text messaging rules. I like to have music around with me. I have an ipod, but it is not interactive enough for my liking. So this would be ideal. Camera is built in, so that is cool. Organizer would be awesome.

Seems like this may be the item for me.

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have an ipod Touch and the new Palm Pre. I prefer being able to run several programs at once, instead of having to close one to start another. My Touch is great for storing media, however, so I'm keeping it in my purse so I can watch movies and listen to my mp3's in the car. I like the Pre's slide-out keyboard a million times better than the Touch's key pad, where I'm constantly having to backspace because my fingers "hit" the wrong key!

I can sync all of my email accounts, two of which are from our servers at work, as well as my Gmail email. The Pre also gives me the option to use either the 3G network or WiFi. I've successfully synched my Bluetooth as well. There are a few small things concerning the software that Pre needs to smooth out, but that could easily be fixed with an update. It automatically saves text conversations I have with different people, much like an IM software like Skype or Yahoo Msngr that you can view the history.

The camera is a 3MP and is clear as day. I took this picture of my girl Zoe with it, the day after I got it:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by 2020idock View Post

This should help in discussing the latest AR coating properties..
    So far I have not seen anybody even mentioning the start of this thread.

I have such a phone..................or I want one...................or I will get one.

What about the coating ? .......why the coating.............for what ?????????

It should be clear to anybody around that these coatings are used 1000 fold more in other industries and often used in items that can be purchased finished at a fraction of what an AR coating does cost's applied on lenses. :D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I was just enjoying the conversation and the clear picture of the beautiful German Shepard

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

It should be clear to anybody around that these coatings are used 1000 fold more in other industries and often used in items that can be purchased finished at a fraction of what an AR coating does cost's applied on lenses. :D

Just as A/R is cheaper on stock lenses - if you do a production run of many units, it's easier and cheaper than individual jobs with varying substrates, requiring individual handling. Mass production is efficient, choice is not.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    So far I have not seen anybody even mentioning the start of this thread.

I have such a phone..................or I want one...................or I will get one.

What about the coating ? .......why the coating.............for what ?????????

You can buy the hydrophobic coating from Chris, apply it to your phone, and then stick it in the microwave :)

Just kidding. But the phone does not have an AR coating. It has an oliphobic coating, so there is less on it. Second, the prices off the phone is extremely expensive (remember, you get it with the plan, so that drops the price). Third, all of the phones can be coated at once, versus having to be made custom made.

Take a Crizal Forte stock lens and a surfaced lens. The price is about 1/5 of the surfaced lens.

Occupation
    oops, double post!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020idock View Post
    I was just enjoying the conversation and the clear picture of the beautiful German Shepard
    Thank you :) She sends you wet kisses and bruised knees from her tail in happiness, lol.

Since everything Apple makes seems to be prone to scratching just by looking at it, as soon as I got my ipod Touch I bought a hard case and poly film cling cover for it. The cling cover is scratched to hell and back, but the screen itself remains in near-pristine condition. I also left the cling film on my Palm Pre when I got it on the 6th. I HATE scratched screens! I believe the poly film on my ipod is polarized. I have a difficult time seeing the screen when I'm wearing my brown pols, which make it a bit of a pain to manipulate in the car or outside. No such quarrel with my Pre however ;)

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    i doubt it's the film that's polarized. it's probably just the screen itself. many lcd screens are.

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After using the new screen for little more than a day now i can say there is a marked improvment as far as fingerprints and smudges. And cleaning of the screen itself is easier. And the bump from 412mhz to 600 is a noticable plus as well. :)

Thread Information