Thread: New type of Glasses

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New type of Glasses

Your eyes are tired...staring at a computer for hours and hours takes its toll. The common solutions for handling eyestrain require you to modify your work habits or take numerous breaks throughout the day. They're all patchy fixes that pull you away from your work. So take your choice...digital eye fatigue or less productivity. There is a better technology driven solution that works with and enhances properties of the human eye. Gunnar digital eyewear increases visual performance, prevents Digital Eye Fatigue (DEF) and protects against full-blown Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS). It all begins with i-AMP lens technology -- an optical platform that incorporates proprietary lens materials, lens tints, lens coatings, and lens geometry. Gunnar digital performance eyewear is engineered for an immediate and profound visual advantage and now even the most demanding computer users are more productive and more effective for longer periods of time. Gunnar Digital Performance Eyewear -- the must have digital performance equipment for your digital lifestyle.

FeaturesdiAMIX lens material - a custom blended proprietary polymer, which beats out polycarbonate on the toughness scale and rivals the undisputed optics of ground glass. fRACTYL lens geometry - custom designed to provide focusing power that eases eye strain. The wrapped lenses also reduce air flow around the eye, creating a microclimate with increased moisture levels. i-FI lens coatings - anti-glare coatings that filter out harsh artificial reflected light. iONIK lens tint - Specially formulated tints condition and shift the color spectrum to provide superior contrast, detail and resolution. Frame Design - built for visual endurance, GUNNAR frame systems are engineered for optimal weight, comfort and durability.

Product Image
    PS I dont sell them !
    :hammer:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

[QUOTE=LENNY;299130] i-AMP lens technology -- an optical platform that incorporates proprietary lens materials, lens tints, lens coatings, and lens geometry. Gunnar digital performance eyewear is engineered for an immediate and profound visual advantage and now even the most demanding computer users are more productive and more effective for longer periods of time.

Would u explain the mechanism of i-AMP technology?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=eoptics;299132]
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Would u explain the mechanism of i-AMP technology?

Me!?:hammer::hammer:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I have been using the Anti-Fatigue lens from Essilor for the last few years. The difference is significant. I used to come home with sore eyes, now I do not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I used to come home with sore eyes, now I do not.
    What? You leave them at work?:bbg:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    What? You leave them at work?:bbg:
    ?

No, I wear them all day. I am comparing them to a regular lens that I used to wear all day

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I have been using the Anti-Fatigue lens from Essilor for the last few years. The difference is significant. I used to come home with sore eyes, now I do not.
    Hi, Just wonder what your RX is have you any add at all?
    Alright I am after your age!:bbg:
    alan

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by apaul View Post
    Hi, Just wonder what your RX is have you any add at all?
    Alright I am after your age!:bbg:
    alan

I am 27.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of our reps sells the Gunnar stuff also. The effect is very interesting even with no Rx.

Occupation

website not informative

The information on the tints suggest to me that the lens is a blue blocker - but there is no technical info that I could find and this may be an incorrect assumption. Whilst there is merit in this - there are also significant potential problems. The other option is that of a dichroic notch filter which uses interference - but this will have a problem due to spike migration, temperature etc.

Some of the claims need to be substantiated - eg what is "good light", what sort of fluorescent light are they aimed at - is it a notch filter, dichroic filter of another type or dipped. How does the physiology respond - ie why do they claim superiority.

I have some serious reservations - particularly as we have found that empirical prescribing of filters for computers is "pot luck" - and that what is good for one person is demonstrably poor for another. Convince me that I am wrong. Or is this a case of marketing a product and overclaiming benefits?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jordan View Post
    The information on the tints suggest to me that the lens is a blue blocker - but there is no technical info that I could find and this may be an incorrect assumption. Whilst there is merit in this - there are also significant potential problems. The other option is that of a dichroic notch filter which uses interference - but this will have a problem due to spike migration, temperature etc.

Some of the claims need to be substantiated - eg what is "good light", what sort of fluorescent light are they aimed at - is it a notch filter, dichroic filter of another type or dipped. How does the physiology respond - ie why do they claim superiority.

I have some serious reservations - particularly as we have found that empirical prescribing of filters for computers is "pot luck" - and that what is good for one person is demonstrably poor for another. Convince me that I am wrong. Or is this a case of marketing a product and overclaiming benefits?
    I'm not sure what qualifies as good light. etc. I can only tell you my experience with the product. I put a pair on in standard office lighting. We have normal 4 tube florescent fixtures. When I look at my monitor is has better contrast and almost seems to be in HD. I would swear that things are slightly magnified through the lens, but they are plano. If you want to be convinced, call them and ask for a pair to demo. I think you will find it interesting.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by for-life View Post
    ?

No, i wear them all day. I am comparing them to a regular lens that i used to wear all day
    swoosh!:d
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation

trial is a poor method

As I work a lot of my life in colour space and am aware of its physiological effects on me and other patients, I would suggest that my personal experience with any lens is irrelevant.
    To prescribe on the basis of my preference is unprofessional as I cannot extrapolate my responses to those of others.

If you are going to prescribe filters - it is your responsibilty to ensure that the effects are neutral or beneficial. Testimonials are an embarrassment as a prescribing technique.

I would be happy to know the CIE coordinates of the lens in any light condition and its transmission curves, then I will be able to judge its efficacy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As I work a lot of my life in colour space and am aware of its physiological effects on me and other patients, I would suggest that my personal experience with any lens is irrelevant.
    To prescribe on the basis of my preference is unprofessional as I cannot extrapolate my responses to those of others.

If you are going to prescribe filters - it is your responsibilty to ensure that the effects are neutral or beneficial. Testimonials are an embarrassment as a prescribing technique.

I would be happy to know the CIE coordinates of the lens in any light condition and its transmission curves, then I will be able to judge its efficacy
    First of all, I am a dispensing optician and my personal experience and opinions are very valuable to our patients. The Gunnar website is not a technical treatise on the physiological effects of tinted lenses. It's a consumer website that uses terms that the average layperson can understand. Technical data does not impart to the user any aspect of wearability or acceptability. My conclusions will be based on technical data, but just as important, my assessment of the benefits of using the technology. This includes comfort of wear and percieved benefit in relaxed gaze, lack of strain, redness, etc. If there is no percieved, subjective benefit, all the technical data in the world will not help convince the patient that this is useful technology.
    It's obvious that you have a much more in depth knowledge of tints, filters ,and their effect on the patients physiology than I do. Can you please provide information on the impact of these tints and filters on human physiology.

thanks,kevin

Occupation

techniques for assing filters

happy to help - send me (privately your email address)

I am speaking in the USA 24 July (chicago area - st charles) on the effects of filters on prosopagnosia and metamorphopsia. These common visual conditions (about 3% of the population) are usually ignored (or not known about) by the optical professions - yet they blight lives. And they are treatable!

If any US professionals want to discuss some of the physiological effects of filters when I am there - happy to fit it in and help - email me

There are over 80 effects that are known about, from simple changes to eye movement, to complex mapping in time and space which affects disease prescribing, surgery and virtually every optometric measurement. But a great deal more knowledge is required before any optical professional can use stimulus control measures.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There are over 80 effects that are known about, from simple changes to eye movement, to complex mapping in time and space which affects disease prescribing, surgery and virtually every optometric measurement. But a great deal more knowledge is required before any optical professional can use stimulus control measures.
    I did not realize the issue was so complex. I look forward to reading your information.

Thread Information