Thread: Please Help Us Out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Please Help Us Out

The Registered Optician's Association of Texas (ROATx) is currently conducting a survey of Eye Care Providers across to country tracking wrongly made eyewear.

Please print the attached form and use it to document any glasses that come back to your office made incorrectly.

The first page is self-explanatory. Just fill in the information requested. Give a copy of the form to your patient to take back to the place they purchased their glasses and keep a copy for your records. Just cut off or block out the top portion of the form and fax to ROATx at (512) 420-0262 or email to info@roatx.org with the subject 'Prescription Analysis Form'.

The second page of the form explains the role of a Registered Optician in the State of Texas.

Per Sam Johnson, President of ROATx, you may alter these forms as needed to identify your state or area. We just ask that you utilize this tool and send it back to us in whatever form you choose.

I have included a .pdf, Word, and Rich Text Format of the forms. If you have any questions, please let me know.

The Word and Rich Text Format versions have been changed to reflect HIPAA instead of HIPPA. I don't have access to change the .pdf file and will update as soon as it is changed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bob_f_aboc; 06-11-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: updated files
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is also a very professional way to present to the patient exactly what was made incorrectly, and gives them something to return to the original provider what you found wrong.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    C'mon Guys!!!

Only 9 views of the files?

I know you can do better than that!!!

WE NEED YOU TO MAKE THIS WORK!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

It's "HIPAA"

Can I suggest you edit the document and change HIPPA to HIPAA? It stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Otherwise I think it's a great idea!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by inslady View Post
    Can I suggest you edit the document and change HIPPA to HIPAA? It stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Otherwise I think it's a great idea!

Thank you! I can't believe I missed that. I will get that changed as soon as I can.

Bob

Occupation
    I've been using the form for over a year but never sent them in, I'll start sending them in, matter if fact I sent one today.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I believe a patient deserves to know 1.) if there is something wrong with their glasses, 2.) what (in layman's terms) is wrong with their glasses, and 3.) what the provider of their glasses needs to change or do differently to correct the problem. However, "over educating" a patient verbally on the problem will overload them to a point where they will be spouting off wrong information to the retailer which only discredits the patient in the long run. I think that something in writing between two knowledgable opticians is the best way to cut out putting the patient in the middle of situation in which they have no idea how to solve themselves. If someone makes something wrong, they need to own up to it and sometimes, an outside perspective is much needed when those making the glasses are inexperienced or simply unaware of properly troubleshooting.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmullen View Post
    I believe a patient deserves to know 1.) if there is something wrong with their glasses, 2.) what (in layman's terms) is wrong with their glasses, and 3.) what the provider of their glasses needs to change or do differently to correct the problem. However, "over educating" a patient verbally on the problem will overload them to a point where they will be spouting off wrong information to the retailer which only discredits the patient in the long run. I think that something in writing between two knowledgable opticians is the best way to cut out putting the patient in the middle of situation in which they have no idea how to solve themselves. If someone makes something wrong, they need to own up to it and sometimes, an outside perspective is much needed when those making the glasses are inexperienced or simply unaware of properly troubleshooting.
    Yes, the role of an optician is to help people, to support the patients and to give them the best solutions. And yes, this form, helps in doing that.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    The intiative is great. I'll surely use it when my time will come.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I remember a patient who went to a "bargain" store to get her glasses made, and then returned because they were not working. I told her they were made incorrectly and said she should return to where she bought them. The ensuing "optician" called me to complain that the glasses were perfectly on power. "Yes", I responded, "But you put the progressive add portion at the TOP of the lens, not the bottom!"

This form would have helped

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a person bring in her glasses she had bought at a department store's optical department for me to look at. She told me she had taken them back to the place where she bought them and was told they check out. When I looked I noticed they had used two right eye blanks for her PALs -- nice!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I had a person bring in her glasses she had bought at a department store's optical department for me to look at. She told me she had taken them back to the place where she bought them and was told they check out. When I looked I noticed they had used two right eye blanks for her PALs -- nice!
    This is exactly the type of thing that we are looking to document. Anyone is capable of making a bone-head mistake at any given time, but how many QUALIFIED, TRAINED opticians would pass this type of mistake twice, despite the insistance by the patient that something is wrong?

Did you use this form, or something similar? If not, what type of documentation did you give the patient to take back to the department store?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If you would'nt let yor mother wear them why let someone else's if there wrong don't let them go out of the door i AGREE with Bob think its a good idea ................

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And what happens when the glasses are right and you checked them wrong and sent the customer to the store with that wrong information causing an office look bad for something they haven't done wrong to start with???? Are you willing to call that customer and let them know it is all your fault?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What do you do Gok? Scribble on a piece of paper to give the patient your findings? Do you not verify problem Rx's filled outside your office? What form do you fill out? If you're wrong, do you have a form that lists the errors and sign it for a chain of accountability that leads back to you if you were in error?

Just FYI; Most of the participating optician that contributed to this project were AC or ABOM. There was little participation during this exploratory experiment. It was to help with licensure efforts in a non licensed state. If nothing else, it gave you a form to professionally document a patient's Rx as filled, by whomever, even yourself. The project is over anyway.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    What do you do Gok? Scribble on a piece of paper to give the patient your findings? Do you not verify problem Rx's filled outside your office? What form do you fill out? If you're wrong, do you have a form that lists the errors and sign it for a chain of accountability that leads back to you if you were in error?

Just FYI; Most of the participating optician that contributed to this project were AC or ABOM. There was little participation during this exploratory experiment. It was to help with licensure efforts in a non licensed state. If nothing else, it gave you a form to professionally document a patient's Rx as filled, by whomever, even yourself. The project is over anyway.
    I am not sure if you read my message correct. I am all for better service and research but what makes someone qualified to check an Rx and determine it is correct or not? I get 7-8 phone calls everyday from ODs and Opticians stating the Rx they received is incorrect. Guess what after spending 10 minutes on the phone with them it turns out they don't know how to check the Rx on FreeForm lenses. That's what makes me worry about someone telling my customer the Rx is made wrong!

Thread Information