Thread: Luxottica and FramesDirect.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Luxottica and FramesDirect.com

How is it that FramesDirect carries Luxottica brands? Their agreement states they won't sell to online retailers. Did Luxottica just make an exception for them because of their size? Frustrating...at least they don't have a low price Walmart-type strategy like other internet sites...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper How is it that FramesDirect carries Luxottica brands?

Quote Originally Posted by CharliePinglass View Post
    How is it that FramesDirect carries Luxottica brands? Their agreement states they won't sell to online retailers. Did Luxottica just make an exception for them because of their size? Frustrating...at least they don't have a low price Walmart-type strategy like other internet sites...
    Read up on frames direct. They are a couple of optometrist's who started this in the mid 1990s. I found their history on their website.

Q&A with FramesDirect.com CEO Dr. Dhavid Cooper

1. Can you give me your full name and title at FramesDirect.com?

Dr. Dhavid Cooper, CEO and Co-Founder

2. Why did you and your partner decide to launch FramesDirect.com?

There were originally three partners, all of us O.D.’s and we’d been in practice in Houston since 1986 operating several offices under the partnership. We’d been working very hard developing these offices over a nine-year period and wanted to take a break from practice and from business for a while. The offices had been successful financially. In 1994 the opportunity arose to sell all the offices, which we did. We decided to take a year off and regroup one year later. During the time off I did some practice management seminars internationally, traveled and self-published a book “101 Secrets of a Million Dollar Office”.

Dr. Hodgson and I got together a year later in 1996 to determine what our next venture was going to be. One afternoon we sat out on a pier overlooking the water at Kemah, Texas and laid out an idea for a new company. It had to operate 24/7 and have the ability to be national. Those were the primary criteria at the time. We didn’t know what it would be or how we were going to achieve it. We then set up office space with a refracting lane and optical dispensary on the third floor of a six-story building. We did this intentionally rather than at street level or near a shopping area to force ourselves to think and get creative............................

See the whole article
    http://www.framesdirectblog.com/qa-w...dhavid-cooper/

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Not only that but online frame companies sell their Ray-Bans at less than MSRP, another violation of their agreement. At least their agreement with the rest of us.
    Can you believe I got no response from them when I emailed them about that?:drop:

Also another reason Lux will never sell me any frame again. Hypocrites.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lets not forget the new return policy, effective 6/1/09.

"Except in connection with defective product, all returns for credit must be made within eight (8) months from the invoice date, subject to conditions below..."
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First, read the agreement carefully. And if you find any infringement, discuss with the best attorney. It depends on the case's clarity of infringement. But you'd find at least one who 'd confirm the action on the base of success without
    cost from your wallet.:)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sell-out optometrists must die.:angry:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago, when I brought up a similar disconnect of Lux policy, I was told that *I* could be named in a counter-suit by the party or parties That I site to Lux are in violation of policy.

Needless to say, I backed down.

I hate 800 lb. gorillas!

Barry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    So the thought is that they're O.D.'s and so the no-online-sites policy doesn't apply? Doesn't make sense to me...

Also, all the other online sites don't have Luxottica brands - it seems like it's just these guys. I asked my rep and he had no idea and demurred on the question. I pressed him and got a vague "I'll see if I can find anything out."

I think about dropping Luxottica. I'm afraid that not having their brands will really impact sales though.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    How is it that Fram3sD1r3ct carries Luxottica brands? Their agreement states they won't sell to online retailers. Did Luxottica just make an exception for them because of their size? Frustrating...at least they don't have a low price Walmart-type strategy like other internet sites...

Can we please edit out posts to remove the name Fram3sD1r3ct.com from our posts so we do not promote out competition.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    braheem: that's why I didn't link to the site. I can still edit if you think it's supporting them. That's the last thing I want to do.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    So the thought is that they're O.D.'s and so the no-online-sites policy doesn't apply? Doesn't make sense to me...

Also, all the other online sites don't have Luxottica brands - it seems like it's just these guys. I asked my rep and he had no idea and demurred on the question. I pressed him and got a vague "I'll see if I can find anything out."

I think about dropping Luxottica. I'm afraid that not having their brands will really impact sales though.
    I got rid of them and it hasn't impacted our sales at all. In fact, since we now carry frames they CAN'T get at Lux stores, our sales of new frames has slightly increased.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Wow, that's heartening. I guess customers never really come in and say "I want X brand frame..." They just look around and find one they like and only later realize what the brand is (usually when I tell them the price and before I direct them to a different frame!).

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, that's heartening. I guess customers never really come in and say "I want X brand frame..." They just look around and find one they like and only later realize what the brand is (usually when I tell them the price and before I direct them to a different frame!).
    Yes, in most case but still there has been a few customers who prefer certain brands.:)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Are these two guys still licensed? If so, why?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Are these two guys still licensed? If so, why?
    Why not?
    Luxottica is not on the State Boards yet!:p

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Confused Drop Luxottica

I'm sorry but attention all ECP's DO NOT SELL LUXOTTICA PRODUCT. Why support the competition? You all know they own Lenscrafters, Sears Opticals, Pearle's and Sunglass Hut. Duh,

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by carnzo View Post
    I'm sorry but attention all ECP's DO NOT SELL LUXOTTICA PRODUCT. Why support the competition? You all know they own Lenscrafters, Sears Opticals, Pearle's and Sunglass Hut. Duh,
    and Target =)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

And...

Optical Shop of Aspen, and Oakley, and DOC Optics, and Oliver Peoples.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

And . . .

Ilori which not onlycarries lux products but some of the other manufacturers including Marcolin, Safilo (I believe), Marchon, Sama etc
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 06-09-2009 at 02:46 AM. Reason: took out bad english ;)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What agreement???????

I've been doing business with Luxottica so long, their telephone number is still listed as AVANT GARDE! It's one of the telephone numbers that hasn't changed in the last 35 years. What agreement are you talking about? If I have an account with them I can buy from them. What I decide to do with the product once I buy it, is up to me. I buy RayBans from them, and I can sell them for whatever I want. Fact is you can become an online frame dealer too! Why get upset with this- go out and compete!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information