Thread: Frames for narrow PD + wide face combination

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Frames for narrow PD + wide face combination

Hello. What's out there for this sort of requirement? I'd imagine it would have narrow eyes but wide hinges that project out considerably more than usual. Or perhaps U-shaped temples looking at the frames from above. Any particular brands that offer numerous models with such features? Do flexible frames, which are widely available enough, usually work as a viable alternative? Thanks.

Edit/Add: It ought be full frame, not rimless, in order to support non-polycarb higher index lenses.
    Last edited by Visioneer; 05-27-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added bit about rimless.

Occupation
    Silhouette drills offer small bridges and protruding hinges which can be drilled even closer to the temporal edge to offer an even wider fitting width while keeping the eyesize small.

A floating rimless frame also gives you the options of making the lens smaller while keeping a wide fitting frame.

any frame with a hinge that protrudes out before folding back would work well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Silhouette drills offer small bridges and protruding hinges which can be drilled even closer to the temporal edge to offer an even wider fitting width while keeping the eyesize small.

A floating rimless frame also gives you the options of making the lens smaller while keeping a wide fitting frame.

any frame with a hinge that protrudes out before folding back would work well.
    I completely second the Silh. Highly customizable if you're comfortable messing around with shapes/changing eyesizes/etc. Also, in less extreme cases, don't underestimate the ability to add bow to temples. Just because they didn't come from the warehouse that way doesn't mean you can't adjust them that way.

Add/Edit:
    Outside of rimless, there's Tag Heuer which offers great stay-on-ability even with library temples shaped similar to a Silh. hingeless design.
    I would not recommend flexible (I'm guessing you mean memory metal frames) for attempting to bow a temple. You need something you can sculpt fom the hinge to the temple tip.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A few years back several companies offered frames with the temples bent out at maybe a 20 degree angle, then bent back in to straight. Hated to see them disappear they were great for just what you describe. You can do this with most metal (and a few plastic) frame provided the temple is long enough. You lose a bit of lenght when you start putting angles or curves in temples so make sure you have enough before you start.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: frames for narrow PD + wide face

I've noticed some of the magnetic clip-on frames have extra-wide endpieces which make them good choices for people with a narrow PD and wide face. For example, the SmartClip 509t's 46-20) overall width (136mm) is exactly the same as another metal frame I found on my rack which is sized at 52-19. In this case, the magnet necessitates the extended endpiece (approx. 12mm/side vs. approx. 8mm/side for the other frame).

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Why not make your own ??

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Need a recommendation for a pt. My patient has an Rx of. OD: -13.50-3.00x093, OS: -16.25-0.50x145. I am looking for a frame that has a small eyesize(to minimize the edge thickness) and a 22 DBL so the glasses can fit her(she's an adult so child frames will not work). Can anyone reccommend a good brand that has a variety of frames that meet this criteria?

Occupation
    John Lennon eyewear has some good high rx frames.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ArtDesigns......Yabi Spirit!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by theboringartist72 View Post
    Need a recommendation for a pt. My patient has an Rx of. OD: -13.50-3.00x093, OS: -16.25-0.50x145. I am looking for a frame that has a small eyesize(to minimize the edge thickness) and a 22 DBL so the glasses can fit her(she's an adult so child frames will not work). Can anyone reccommend a good brand that has a variety of frames that meet this criteria?
    What's her PD?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Tag Heuer is a good choice. But honestly, i think just select a frame that looks good on her because the lenses will be thick no matter what. Just a good looking frame with thick temple and edge coating.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by theboringartist72 View Post
    I've used this one before.
    http://www.avaloneyewear.com/collect...345&nm=DV%2003
    Be sure to use a high ABBE material in an Rx like this. I used to have a similar Rx, and I found that nothing was as nice as a 1.70 index lens. Find someone who will apply digital surfacing techniques to it and it will be even better.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information