Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! How on Earth do I deal with this type of Patient!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

HELP!! How on Earth do I deal with this type of Patient!!

So I know you have all had them, you know exactly who I'm talking about. The people that come in with mangled glasses and blame you the optician for "selling" them "crappy" glasses. This morning I had a patient come in with a semi rimless pair of frames with one lens popped out. She sat them down on the table and instantly began to point the finger at me. She said "I cannot believe you sold me these junky glasses, the damn lens popped out and I told you that was my main reason in purchasing new ones." I picked the frame up and it both temples as well as the nose pad were COVERED and caked with dirt. Not gunk but actual dirt. I looked at her and said, well lets figure this out ma'am, did something happen to these that could have possibly put force on the lens to make it fall out? She looked me right in the eyes and said, "NO what happened to them is that you sold me junk." I do not and will not argue with a patient. (after all I'm not married to them) I repaired them as best as I could, the AR was completely obliterated and I decided that rather than have her go into an all out panic I would just put in a warrenty re-order to Davis (they owe me one anyway) How on Earth are we supposed to professionally deal with people that obviously do horrible things to their glasses and then expect us to just believe them as well as take the blame? Any suggestions? I know she dropped them and probably stepped on them as well, but I do not want to cause more of a scene. Anyone? Someone?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shoot Them

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Shoot Them

Chip
    EXCELLENT!!!!! LOL:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Problem solved

Give them the flyer and coupon for the upcoming Fezz-Johns on-line ordering service.:idea::cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you can not be a woman, it would be a good start.

They dont pull that with men, especially older men.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Sad but true. I've had customers in here yelling at the female opticians, but when I step in they turn real nice. If they don't straighten up, out the door they go! You should see them calm down when I point to the cameras and tell them everything they say and do is being recorded.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    If you can not be a woman, it would be a good start.

They dont pull that with men, especially older men.
    Well darn that won't work!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm the only Optician in the office period. I guess maybe I could pull the Doctor over if things get too sticky!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Blame Davis vision! I would go with Chip's answer myself.;)

On being a female, its so true. Most of the abuse to the females seems to come from female customers, usually professional occupations as well.:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd say, " I hope these weren't on your face when they got this dirt caked all over them."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess it also depends if you would want this patient back or if it would be better if she would darken someone elses door.
    If you want her back as a patient, you did the right thing.

If you don't, an appropriate response would be to tell her that the warranty doesn't cover abuse and these glasses are obviously been abused
    • lense popped out
    • lenses scratched beyond normal wear and tear
    • glasses covered with dirt and mud.
    I always ask myself,
    "what woud walmart do?"

Most people do not handle confrontation well and she knew that. She also knows that most professional people want to make their customers happy.
    She played you pretty well. She got exactly what she wanted and YOU are the one that feels bad.

Occupation
    Had a lady I worked with answer every question with the starting phrase... "well, I dont know" usually followed up with let's see what we can do.

A patient came in one day frustrated over something and asked her to fix it, she started to say her phrase and I heard him reply "well, what do you know?" I walked over to her and told her she didnt need to take that type of rudeness in front of him and thanked her while he stood there and waited (she's in her 60s and almost in tears) I helped him with his problem, on his way out he apologized to her for being an ***.

Sometimes you just have to find a way to snap these people back into reality, with him it was me ignoring him and thanking her for doing her job that made him realize he's talking to a human being. There may be a problem, it may be our fault even but there's never a reason to insult the person trying to help you resolve your issue.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Blame Davis vision for the poor quality they provide under their plan...you would only be telling the truth...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

3 clients

I wish I had 3 clients like her.
    Money carefully refunded

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

dozens

I've had dozens! :(
    Money carefully refunded

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you have a patient that comes in yelling the first thing I do is disarm them. Take them over to a dispensing table away from the front desk, sit down and calmly and quietly ask them what happened. Usually they will lower their voice and relax once they are sitting across from you instead of standing in front of the reception desk. I have to say this works for me because I am a mature woman and the manager but they will walk all over my younger co-workers. Funny how they lower their voice when I walk around the corner and ask them what the issue is. For most of these people it''s a dominance thing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For THOSE types...

I will usually ask the question, "you bought a $30,000 car. Will you purposely take that car and hit a wall with it? If not, why would you run a pair of $600 glasses into the ground?"

The patient usually can't give an answer at that point.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    When you have a patient that comes in yelling the first thing I do is disarm them. Take them over to a dispensing table away from the front desk, sit down and calmly and quietly ask them what happened. Usually they will lower their voice and relax once they are sitting across from you instead of standing in front of the reception desk. I have to say this works for me because I am a mature woman and the manager but they will walk all over my younger co-workers. Funny how they lower their voice when I walk around the corner and ask them what the issue is. For most of these people it''s a dominance thing.
    Right on. Get them in private and have them sit while you stand. As they progress into their tale of woe move closer and sort of loom over them. Speak extra softly to them but directly into their face. This will usually achieve the desired result. For the more aggressive customer you might want to take up a pair of axis aligning pliers and hit them into your open hand. The key is to be closer and higher.

Then there is always waterboarding.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinieNicole View Post
    So I know you have all had them, you know exactly who I'm talking about. The people that come in with mangled glasses and blame you the optician for "selling" them "crappy" glasses. This morning I had a patient come in with a semi rimless pair of frames with one lens popped out. She sat them down on the table and instantly began to point the finger at me. She said "I cannot believe you sold me these junky glasses, the damn lens popped out and I told you that was my main reason in purchasing new ones." I picked the frame up and it both temples as well as the nose pad were COVERED and caked with dirt. Not gunk but actual dirt. I looked at her and said, well lets figure this out ma'am, did something happen to these that could have possibly put force on the lens to make it fall out? She looked me right in the eyes and said, "NO what happened to them is that you sold me junk." I do not and will not argue with a patient. (after all I'm not married to them) I repaired them as best as I could, the AR was completely obliterated and I decided that rather than have her go into an all out panic I would just put in a warrenty re-order to Davis (they owe me one anyway) How on Earth are we supposed to professionally deal with people that obviously do horrible things to their glasses and then expect us to just believe them as well as take the blame? Any suggestions? I know she dropped them and probably stepped on them as well, but I do not want to cause more of a scene. Anyone? Someone?
    It's like we're in the business of making lemonade:

"NO what happened to them is that you sold me junk."
    Here's an option, take and strip the AR off the lenses (save the one Davis owes you), restring the frame, tighten the screws and apply a little oil to the hinges as dirt will inevitably corrode the hinges, put them in the ultrasonic cleaner to get the gunk out, replace both nose pads and temple tips if they are worn or dirty, bench align them straightening the temples out and everything, polish out or buff any scratches on the frame (using progressively finer sand paper or fining pads if you have access to a surface lab), then use model car paint from your local hobbie shop to touch up the paint job, or if you want to go that extra mile then use a powder coating system (available at many auto part stores or Sears for less than $100 if your look).

When the patient comes in to pick them up go over in detail everything you did to refurbish their frames and lenses, explaining to them that although no frame and lens combo is indestructible your skills to repair them is almost indestructible, then tell them that you require they bring the frames in every 3 months just like their jeweler requires them to bring in their jewelry for inspection every 3 months to clean, realign and repair them so that future incidents can be avoided. Some of these folks will be speechless since they know they were in the wrong, others will take their frames with very little acknowledgment that you did anything beyond what you should have, however; even if they decide to stray they will never receive this kind of service again so they'll be back and a more friendly client the next go round.

Good service takes a while to kick in with patients but every practice I have worked at after about 2 years of service every client has seen or heard of what you do and they'll be a whole lot nicer and refer more friends and neighbors.

If that doesn't work then shoot them.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Right on. Get them in private and have them sit while you stand. As they progress into their tale of woe move closer and sort of loom over them. Speak extra softly to them but directly into their face. This will usually achieve the desired result. For the more aggressive customer you might want to take up a pair of axis aligning pliers and hit them into your open hand. The key is to be closer and higher.

Then there is always waterboarding.
    Is it too late to change my suggestion to waterboarding?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinieNicole View Post
    Yup , giving in is a wonderful way to spoil children and the optical business . Try taking your automobile back to the dealership with scratches to the paint and dents to the body , caked in dirt , and headlights falling out .

Do you think your car dealership will be as wimpy ?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My theory is that people have alot of time to think about how and what they are gonna say before they come into the office. They kinda stew on there broken glasses or listen to what friends or relatives have to tell them. So by the time they get to see you they have both pistols loaded, and we get it in the face.

Its hard not to take it personal, but you do have to sit there and patiently listen and make them feel that you really care. You have to be assuring that you can take care of anything. Usually after they unload on you if you can calmly let them no that everything will be taken care of they make a turn for the better. If you confront them to soon on how something happened it usually aggrivates them. In there heads thats what they were preparing for, us to argue or point the blame on them and ultimatly not fix there problem.

it sucks its part of the job,

Then you blame Davis.

Ric

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You said you wanted cheap! You got Cheap! Now if you want to spend some real money we can take care of you.

Chip

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by BobV View Post
    I will usually ask the question, "you bought a $30,000 car. Will you purposely take that car and hit a wall with it? If not, why would you run a pair of $600 glasses into the ground?"

The patient usually can't give an answer at that point.

I didn't know DAVIS offered $600 glasses...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Ahh yes, the old "I don't know what happened. I took them out of their case and they were like that." Yes ma'am, we purposely arm every pair of eyewear with a self destruct feature so you can come in and berate us. Being belittled helps keep our egos in check. :hammer: (for the record, I do not advocate saying this to patients)

I agree with Just Eyes about basically how to handle a patient like that. Since we've got our in house warranty, I'd probably redo the lenses at no cost but let her know that I was doing it and that any future redos would need to be paid for. I'd also make sure to note on the order that whomever dispenses the job goes over proper care and cleaning of the glasses. Noting the file of what's being done would also occur.

Thread Information