Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Calling All Ontario Opticians

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I met the Minister of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care today. Unfortunately, the meeting was so quick, so we had to focus on the issues in our office (since I work for him, essentially) and could not look at past careers.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have hear a lot of rumors that Cannada was in the process of eliminateing free speech from it's "freedoms' , I guess now the latest concept is restrict education. They teach refraction to optometry students and ophthalmology students that are neither optometrists or ophthalmologist until graduation and license. They teach anatomy and physiology to anyone that will sign up for the course. This does not make them anything special or allow them to do anything to the body by law because they took anatomy.
    Knowledge should be unlimited, at least here they aren't teaching you to make nukes and the like.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I have hear a lot of rumors that Cannada was in the process of eliminateing free speech from it's "freedoms' , I guess now the latest concept is restrict education. They teach refraction to optometry students and ophthalmology students that are neither optometrists or ophthalmologist until graduation and license. They teach anatomy and physiology to anyone that will sign up for the course. This does not make them anything special or allow them to do anything to the body by law because they took anatomy.
    Knowledge should be unlimited, at least here they aren't teaching you to make nukes and the like.
    I heard a lot of rumours that the US was attempting to imprison all Arabs. The difference here, I did not believe it, because the US would not do that. When someone says something like that, I know it is stupid and I will not believe stupid things or try to push stupid rumours. Just like Canada would not eliminate freedom of speech.

You know better than this Chip. Not very impressive for a person of such dignity as you to post something that silly.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So.....
    Still nothing eh?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    Golfnorth:
    You must get the perspective right on this .
    (1) Refraction is in the public domain MOH can not control that . They only control what you do with the results because that would be prescribing .

(2) MOH is overstepping the Charter in my humble opinion by even suggesting we can not study refraction . The fact is that studying refraction for an optician is far more relevant than an ophthalmologist showing us surgery techniques for removing eyeballs . MOH should be more concerned that we might do surgeries after learning about these techniques in our Continuing Education classes .

(3) MOH can not have things both ways, ie. let us study surgery but not refraction
    Were are you getting this idea that the MOH is not allowing opticians to study refraction? Of course you're allowed to study anything you damn well please! What the ministry is saying however is that they do not want the college to continue certifying opticians in their refraction designation b/c those policies have not be approved by the ministry (and they never will be unless you can convince HRPRAC otherwise).

Truly, you have to wonder what the hell your college is thinking... Basically they're telling all opticians that they cannot involve themselves in something that they have for years mainted is in the pubic domain and not a controlled act???? If its really in the public domain, why the need to draft up policies and hand out refracting designations???

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    Were are you getting this idea that the MOH is not allowing opticians to study refraction? Of course you're allowed to study anything you damn well please! What the ministry is saying however is that they do not want the college to continue certifying opticians in their refraction designation b/c those policies have not be approved by the ministry (and they never will be unless you can convince HRPRAC otherwise).

Truly, you have to wonder what the hell your college is thinking... Basically they're telling all opticians that they cannot involve themselves in something that they have for years mainted is in the pubic domain and not a controlled act???? If its really in the public domain, why the need to draft up policies and hand out refracting designations???

Exactly , now you understand the stupidity of the situation and the guts of the matter. Is your head spinning ?

From a practical point of view , Opticians must study refraction , it is most important that the left hand know what the right does to arrive at a certain RX . This knowledge is crucial to their abilities .

A mechanic who only knows brake jobs and steering systems can not fix the car without also knowing the electronic components and how each interacts with the whole .

Hand cuffing knowledge , so various parties can have their ridiculous power struggles will benefit no one . In the mean time , untrained people walk off the street into the employment of Optometrists and Ophthalmologists and every day perform tests on the guinea pigs they call patients .

Opticians are being honorable by setting standards and guiding the way . Maybe MOH needs to get on board .
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 06-07-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I met the Minister of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care today. Unfortunately, the meeting was so quick, so we had to focus on the issues in our office (since I work for him, essentially) and could not look at past careers.

What are you trying to say ?

Occupation
    What are you trying to say ?
    I am trying to say that I met the Minister of Health for Ontario, but our time was short and I could not bring up the optical situation.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if he is fired in the near future.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am trying to say that I met the Minister of Health for Ontario, but our time was short and I could not bring up the optical situation.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if he is fired in the near future.
    If you get the opportunity, ask him if he would like to give up his pay check and put it back to 1991 levels , which is the last time the MCSS fee schedule was revised .

Occupation
    If you get the opportunity, ask him if he would like to give up his pay check and put it back to 1991 levels , which is the last time the MCSS fee schedule was revised .
    he is not involved in the MCSS fee schedule though :) That would be the Minister of Community and Social Services.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    he is not involved in the MCSS fee schedule though :) That would be the Minister of Community and Social Services.
    Well , could you ask both Ministers if they would like to take a pay cut until it is brought into the realm of the 21st century ?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Where are you going..............................?

I have watched this thread now for a long time. Lot of disagreement and agreements................but somehow I have the feeling that it is going nowhere and nobody will do some actual work to get it somewhere.

There will never be any positive results as long as you post under animosity. You would have to consult and talk outside the public walls of OptiBoard, maybe then you could find an actual way of action with some following results whatever they will be.

Occupation
    Well , could you ask both Ministers if they would like to take a pay cut until it is brought into the realm of the 21st century ?
    I don't work for the Minister of Community and Social Services, so I doubt I would ever get a chance to meet him or her. But if I ever do, I will. I think it is a bad economic policy.

You should have seen what the DSSAB did here with Ontario Works. It tendered a contract for a sole provider. Yes, people who can only get around by bus in a very awkwardly designed town were expected to only see one provider. We did not place a RFP because I first felt it was unethical and second felt it that my former business did not want someone with four kids from the other side of town to come in and yell at them that they had to catch a bus across town.

I phoned the board members to express my displeasure and nearsightedness on the issue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I agree with Chris

Hi - all I am new to Optiboard and the Canadian Discussion Forum. I finally worked out how to post and participate. I have followed the posts for the past few days and find them all interesting. I have to agree with Chris, there are many opportunities for all of us to help in some capacity so I wonder about the animosity portrayed in some posts. Perhaps it is just frustration that opticians have been on the pointy end of the foot for some time.

Recently I became frustrated with VANOC the 2010 Olympic Organizing Committee, I tried to volunteer as an optician and could not. In frustration I wrote a million letters - each time rejected by some very pleasant person. A friend pointed out that as a profession we have not done our home work. Nobody really knows much about us.

A search of web sites about opticians caused some interesting results. Most concerning was how we are described by knowledge data base (s). Consequently my personal project was to change Wikipedia definitions and the Optician pages. Mostly it has been successful, and, as many other knowledge sites upgrade from Wikipedia, it has had a multiplier effect. I notice several other Canadian opticians have also adopted this project as theirs. All help is welcome and appreciated.

As a profession, Opticianry is technologically astute and highly skilled. It knows its craft. It works to exacting standards and precision because creating the perfect lens requires that kind of attention to detail. It appreciates that technology is the means to helping people see, we enhance lives. March on I say - every little bit counts.
    Last edited by kitspoint; 06-09-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I have watched this thread now for a long time. Lot of disagreement and agreements................but somehow I have the feeling that it is going nowhere and nobody will do some actual work to get it somewhere.

There will never be any positive results as long as you post under animosity. You would have to consult and talk outside the public walls of OptiBoard, maybe then you could find an actual way of action with some following results whatever they will be.
    I agree. What else is new?

Thread Information