Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The optics on Poly are just SOOO much better than plastic!"

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"The optics on Poly are just SOOO much better than plastic!"

edit
    Last edited by tdj; 03-14-2011 at 05:19 PM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Be Careful

The evil empire moniters this site. Be careful.
    Signed,
    EX LUX and lovin it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    edit
    Last edited by tdj; 03-14-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper LC store in a non regulated state..................

Quote Originally Posted by misslindsay View Post
    "The optics on poly are just SOOO much better than plastic!"
    I assume that if you work at a LC store in a non regulated state, and your colleagues have no longtime experience and not the best temporary training this can happen.

Customers are exposed to newcomer sales people who do not know what they are talking about because there is no requirement to prove your basic knowledge int the field.

This is funny, or sad on the other hand, that in a world with so much progress in techniques the end person in the delivery chain is allowed to be a novice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

This is funny, or sad on the other hand, that in a world with so much progress in techniques the end person in the delivery chain is allowed to be a novice.
    AMEN to that!!! :hammer:

Is there a point to this thread other than boss bashing?

When I took the LC training a few years ago, I have to say it was the most effective, comprehensive, and accurate training I'd recieved up to that point. Before LC, all my true learning came from self study and asking so many questions my boss wanted to explode! lol I'm not exactly saying the training is top notch (or unbiased toward poly), but it's a heck of a lot better than what I got from several mom&pops before that.
    Last edited by EyeFitWell; 05-09-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly,

I would take *poly* Contour Optics SV lenses over *any* CR 39 lens of the same width, ever made.

Much Better Optics!

Barry

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, how do you handle it when you hear these things? Do you try to nicely inform them? Do you just blow them off?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How does a poly aspheric compare to CR-39? Hmm, now I'm going to have to do a board search, 'cause I really don't remember...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Honestly, I don't know what spectralite is either. I've owned my own optical store for 8 years and have never ever put in an order for spectralite. Therefore, I too would qualify for a boss bashing.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh View Post
    Honestly, I don't know what spectralite is either. I've owned my own optical store for 8 years and have never ever put in an order for spectralite. Therefore, I too would qualify for a boss bashing.
    1.54 Index Aspheric.

ps back in the day this was LCs "Best" material offering, I don't know if they have graduated to using higher indexes or not.
    Last edited by k12311997; 05-10-2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: add

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, LC does stock 1.67 with A/R lenses though we only stock about -6 to -9 up to about a -1.25 cyl. To my knowledge this is the highest index we can get. We used to be able to order in some lenses from Zeiss, but about a month ago (Give or take) Corporate decided to stop ordering from Zeiss for "Quality control" IE it was costing too much to order from Zeiss. They figured our CL could process them and have a tighter control on the quality. I guess those Zeiss lenses were just crap after all!! :hammer:

~Crazy

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper never seen any crap in lenses either produced or sold by Zeiss

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    I guess those Zeiss lenses were just crap after all!! :hammer:
    I have never seen any crap in lenses either produced or sold by Zeiss, They have never been the cheapest but the quality was always there. :finger:

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh View Post
    If memory serves, spectralite is a registered trade mark of Sola. When introduced years back, it was a superior product. Today there are better products in some areas. I've cut and pasted what follows from a Sola website.

The unbeatable benefits of

• Thin - 25% thinner than plastic lenses and comparable to other high index.
    • Flat - All Spectralite lenses have a flattened aspheric design so lenses bulge less and look better in frames. They're up to 50% flatter than spherical plastic lenses and 35% flatter than spherical high index.
    • Light - Spectralite's inherently low material density creates lenses up to 13% lighter than other high index, offering maximum comfort.
    • Superior Optics - Spectralite lenses have the highest Abbe value (47) of any high index, including all 1.56 high index Transitions III lenses (35). Spectralite's high Abbe value ensures optics comparable to plastic, so wearers experience minimal chromatic aberration.

Built-in Benefits

• 100% UVA and UVB protection
    • Perma-Gard scratch coating
    • Exclusive 90-day patient satisfaction guarantee
    • Meets FDA impact requirements, so lenses can be processed with confidence at 1.5mm center thickness
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also found that with Spectralite the scratch coat was guaranteed to peal in 11 months.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    edit
    Last edited by tdj; 03-14-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    edit
    Last edited by tdj; 03-14-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have never seen any crap in lenses either produced or sold by Zeiss, They have never been the cheapest but the quality was always there. :finger:

I guess my tongue-in-cheek comment went over your head Chris.

I *LOVED* ordering from Zeiss and I am sorry that Lux has closed our accounts. I was just finding the humor that Lux told us they were closing our Zeiss account since they, (Lux), would have better quality control over lenses than if we ordered from Zeiss. After looking at some of the jobs that come out of our (LC) Lab, I just scratch my head about their "Quality Control" statement. I have ordered from Zeiss both at LC and in Private practice and have never had any issues with their lenses.

So Chris you might just want to re-read the original post and think about what was *Really* being said before you decide to chide a member with one of these ---> :finger:

~Crazy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by misslindsay View Post
    LC can get 1.74 high index with AR and Scotchgard.
    I did not know this. My store does not have a lab on site per se, and from the retail end the highest I have seen is the Superview 1.67. I would be interested in knowing how you order in 1.74. Does your Lab somehow edit the order, or is 1.74 an option in your drop down on Eyenet? Feel free to PM me if you would like.

Thanks,

~Crazy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    If memory serves, spectralite is a registered trade mark of Sola. When introduced years back, it was a superior product. Today there are better products in some areas. I've cut and pasted what follows from a Sola website.

The unbeatable benefits of

• Thin - 25% thinner than plastic lenses and comparable to other high index.
    • Flat - All Spectralite lenses have a flattened aspheric design so lenses bulge less and look better in frames. They're up to 50% flatter than spherical plastic lenses and 35% flatter than spherical high index.
    • Light - Spectralite's inherently low material density creates lenses up to 13% lighter than other high index, offering maximum comfort.
    • Superior Optics - Spectralite lenses have the highest Abbe value (47) of any high index, including all 1.56 high index Transitions III lenses (35). Spectralite's high Abbe value ensures optics comparable to plastic, so wearers experience minimal chromatic aberration.

Built-in Benefits

• 100% UVA and UVB protection
    • Perma-Gard scratch coating
    • Exclusive 90-day patient satisfaction guarantee
    • Meets FDA impact requirements, so lenses can be processed with confidence at 1.5mm center thickness
    Yeah, for it's time Spectralite was a pretty viable option. Even I wore it because though I could get thinner lenses, the quality of the vision was more important to me. We had a few problems surfacing it, like the flatter back curves were harder to do without getting waves,and the coating changed to a harder,slicker coating but stuck to the tape less so we'd have tape failures at +7 BC and above. No problems with mnus powers.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I assume that if you work at a LC store in a non regulated state, and your colleagues have no longtime experience and not the best temporary training this can happen.

I had the opportunity to travel to an unregulated state this weekend, for the purpose of interviewing applicants for an office I was contemplating on buying.

All I can say is WOW! I met the whole spectrum of folks, and they all considered themselves highly competent opticians. One of the applicants (I didn't interview her) had last worked in the field in 1998, for 9 months, and since had worked in various day care facilities watching toddlers. Her resume stated:

"I have much experience working with the public, and really enjoy measuring, fixing, and selling glasses. I think I am uniquely qualified for the position of optical manager, and look forward to meeting you."

It is pretty scary to think that these folks can be hired, and the next day, they are running an optical.

It was also very refreshing however, to meet many opticians that are trying by every means available, to distance themselves from the rest of the pack and take as many courses, and gain as many certifications as possible.

There still may be hope...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    edit
    Last edited by tdj; 03-14-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I had the opportunity to travel to an unregulated state this weekend, for the purpose of interviewing applicants for an office I was contemplating on buying.

All I can say is WOW! I met the whole spectrum of folks, and they all considered themselves highly competent opticians. One of the applicants (I didn't interview her) had last worked in the field in 1998, for 9 months, and since had worked in various day care facilities watching toddlers. Her resume stated:

"I have much experience working with the public, and really enjoy measuring, fixing, and selling glasses. I think I am uniquely qualified for the position of optical manager, and look forward to meeting you."

It is pretty scary to think that these folks can be hired, and the next day, they are running an optical.

It was also very refreshing however, to meet many opticians that are trying by every means available, to distance themselves from the rest of the pack and take as many courses, and gain as many certifications as possible.

What state brother?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Spectra- "lite"....

I thought that was that low-calorie version of Fezz's full bodied home-brew....?:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    What state brother?
    Follow the Yellow Brick Road, and you'll see Laura's house.;)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

When I was in a non licensed state at a retail superstore, most of our employees were hired from down the mall at Applebees. I must admit, they were great greeters and smiled a lot, but they were lacking greatly in optical knowledge. "not their fault" They were thrown into the lions den.

That being said, the two best opticians I have ever worked with in 24 years were ABOM in a non licensed state. That gave me a lot of hope.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Thread Information