View Poll Results: Who is your favorite frame manufacturer?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alltaire

2 1.49%
  • Cartier

2 1.49%
  • Charmant/Aristar

11 8.21%
  • Cottet

0 0%
  • Eastern States Eyewear

1 0.75%
  • Luxottica

18 13.43%
  • Marchon

18 13.43%
  • Marcolin

2 1.49%
  • REM

0 0%
  • Rodenstock

9 6.72%
  • Safilo

38 28.36%
  • Shilouette

19 14.18%
  • Tura

4 2.99%
  • Zeiss

2 1.49%
  • Silver Dollar

2 1.49%
  • Prava

1 0.75%
  • LBI

2 1.49%
  • Morucci

0 0%
  • Leonardo D

0 0%
  • Viva

2 1.49%
  • Kenmark

1 0.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favorite frame manufacturer and why?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Who is your favorite frame manufacturer and why?

We are constantly being exposed to new products on the market. With so many frame reps coming in, it would be nice to know what folks think about the new lines; what are everyone's preferences and why do you prefer those frames? If your favorite isn't on the list post it below and it will get added in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Safilo is one of our favorite lines because they have good frames in all price lines. I particularly like what they have done with Ralph Lauren. I remember cringing everytime we used to get Ralph Lauren frames in. They were good for one set of lenses after that you couldn't trust the solder points or many of the finishes to remain intact through another glazing but they were so popular. Now Safilo has revamped the line and seems to have fixed hinge, finish and solder issues. I am also impressed with the variety in the Elasta and Team lines. They offer a nice core including reasonably priced Stainless Steel and Titanium product. Lastly, as one of our Harry's has said in the past, Safilo reps have class. I actually trust our core Safilo rep; he does his job and does it well to the point of going above and beyond.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didn't see my favorite frame manufacurer on the list. What about Silver Dollar? They don't spend huge amounts of money advertising like the big boys do so you don't spend top dollar on their products. At first, I wasn't that thrilled with their products but they have come along way!

Their titanium and beta titanium collections are big sellers here. Also their beta titanium drill mounts are great (much less expensive than competitors). Very nice product.

Customer service is very good also. Very efficient and the warranties they offer on their frames is very liberal. Silver Dollar has been filling our titanium niche and we are very pleased.

Don't leave out the little guys!

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

I voted for Tura, their ladies styles really move well! We probably sell more Silhouette frames than anything, Marchon's Flexon line does great, Luxottica's Armani line and basic line do well, and Safilo, well their whole line, from Dior to Polo does well. Oh, and Rodenstock has always done well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We need the ability to post multiple choices here!

For ladies and unisex:
    If there were only one brand of plastic frame available, it would have to be Silhouette!
    I love all of their product-- how well it sells, how it is to work with, and how it looks on the wearer.
    Though there are other rimless, I'm still hooked on the Minimal Art.

For men and kids:
    Safilo takes the majority vote here, as they have a product for everyone .

In the Titanium department:
    For traditional mens and ladies the Charmant line is it. Reasonably priced good quality puts a titanium on the noses of many who assumed that the 'T' word is too costly.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For bread and butter, our best manufacturer, by far, is Prava. (Did I hear a snicker?) We've been using the line since 1990, and it has really kept updated. Do they copy ? Sure ! And they do a great job of it. We put it next to the Euro frames, mark it $20.00, and it flies out the door, returning only for an Rx change down the road. We stock every style, size, and most colors, and have never been dissapointed.

Marchon's Flexon product is unbeatable in the Flex market.

Tura's come a long way w/ the Escada.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No snicker here. :)

I understand where you are coming from. We carry a few of the LBI lines. They offer stainless steal, titanium, updated styles, spring hinges and they are a good value for both the consumer and ourselves. Just because a grouping of frames is in a store's lower price tiers it doesn't mean you shouldn't still offer a quality product.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Wink

I like working with rimless Cartier frames, their easy to work with and fast selling. We first take their out date lens shapes out and throw them away. Than create our own custom shapes that sell for a little more.

Bad address email on file

Big Smile

Interesting poll. As a Lux rep I'm glad to see we are in the top three. From a reps view, I can say that my accounts love my SFX and Vogue lines. SFX for it's durability and low cost and Vogue for it quality and contemporary styling. I have very few defective returns and great sell through.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Charmant and Aristar should not be 2 different candidates on this poll. They are the same outfit. Aristar is a line in the Charmant group. That would be like having Luxottica and BerDel as seperate candidates for this poll. Just a point of info. to be fair.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    specs13,

Thank you! I've combined the two to correct the poll.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! I'm glad I re-read the Ari posting. At first I thought he was throwing out of date Cartier frames out. If he could afford to do that, I knows I been doing it wrong!

Chip:o

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Wink

Chip,

It is really working for us combining custom shapes, colors, or flash mirror the Cartier sales took off. We give the patron a different flavor for Cartiers than they would anywhere else. In my opinion that’s the name of the game.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    in the uk, independants have a problem with the big guys (safilo, lux, etc.) as they will sell to the multiples as well, who then put the frames into their half price sales. how are you supposed to compete with that? and anyway, i have been told that only a third of the frames are made in italy now, the rest coming from korea or china. i'd always go for the small companies who can offer you some exclusivity: lindberg, allison, face á face, and all the other people who make interesting exellent quality frames. as for my favourite? probably allison at the moment but it changes every month. i would have said l.a. eyeworks but i haven't seen them for about a year so i don't know what the current line is like.

OptiBoard Novice

Thumbs up Who is your favorite frame manufacturer?

I voted for Silhouette because of their quality and style. However, I think Morucci and Leonardo D should be added to the poll. They also have superb quality and styling . Jewelry for the face is a good way to describe these companies.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks

SMW,

They've been added!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Safilo puts more in my pocket

My current leader for the last 9 months has been Safilo. They profit more per board space than anyone else by far of my 10 vendors. My primary 5 vendors are all direct competitors.

Safilo has the selection and quality my patients prefer.

Customer service isn't always ideal, and there are some unique parts problems we've encountered. Backorders are a bit too common as well. Well, what else is new? I don't think they're any worse than some others. I'd like to see a vendor that can really service 99% of the time.

Stick out tongue Who Is My Favorite Frame Manufacturer?

Rodenstock has always been a favorite of our boomer clients, the metals for their conservative business dress appearance, make the average business executive more approachable. I feel that other metal frames with the hideous looking brow-bar give too much of an " exrector- set " type of appearance.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am glad to see Charmant & Safilo doing well here. I am a little surprised by Luxottica. We have moved out most of our Luxottica line. We use to carry alot of their stuff including their Brooks Bros. line. They haven't had any decent representation (if any at all) in our area for more than 3 years. They have changed some of their policies also. We started moving their stuff out recently after we found out from a phone rep that they don't issue credits until sometimes up to 2 months. No one else does this that I am aware of. They also have some of the most indifferent phone reps. I sometimes feel like I am an intrusion to them!!

I just feel like over the past few years they have gotten away from customer service for independents that don't buy large amounts of their product. They are catering to the big accounts & letting the little guy fall to the wayside. I am seeing this at Silhouette as well. We haven't seen a rep in over a year & they still have the same rep in my area that has been there for at least 10 years.

Safilo, Charmant, & Marchon are offering good service. I really like calling Safilo, & immediately they know whose calling. I don't have to give them my account number. That's customer service!

I know why some of you like Silver Dollar - they send candy & treats with their orders. They give good customer service as well but their product quality isn't comparable to the other major players. Their Beta Titanium is pretty good but the rest could use some re-engineering. I have compared some of their stuff to the economy line of Hart Specialties. Hart's stuff is cheap, so you sort of expect lower quality. For the price I think Silver Dollar could find a better factory to give them better quality stuff.

That's my $.02!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Brow Bars

Anyone else ever wondered why men like brow-bars (possibly the concept of strenght, which is why it is there) and women can't stand them.

Notice that if a man comes in by himself or a man brings in a male child they like or don't usually object to brow-bars. But if a man comes in with a woman companion (related, involved or not) he is not going to be allowed to leave with a frame that has a brow-bar?

Chip

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Intersting you should mention. Had a gentleman come in with his wife. After trying on a few styles he wanted to try one with a brow bar. I quipped that they kind of made him look like a cop. Guess what? He was! Some guys were just born for the "power" of a brow bar. Seen a lot of high end fashions incorporating brow bars now in womens styles.

Chip, We've noticed that same thing here! Personally, I view brow bar frames as being so...unexciting, traditional, safe, ordinary, and even old-fashioned. That's why it blew me away when I saw a picture in People magazine of Brad Pitt wearing a brow bar frame. It was an updated style, a narrow rectangle, a nice-looking frame, but not what I would have expected him to wear in that I don't associate a brow bar frame with someone having his image.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just had a long talk with a Marcolin rep yesterday. I learned that you can buy across lines, no minimum, you do not have carry all lines but you can buy as many or as few as you like of each line (they have a lot of lines). No time limit on returns, even if they are out of production.

Sounds good hunh.

And no, I have no interest in Marcolin.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tough call...we have 4 core lines-Safilo, Tura, Rodenstock, and Silhouette. Even though my preference lies with Rodenstock, Safilo won out with all their lines, along with the fact that they hold up very well. Plus, their price points are affordable and they move.

Bob V.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Has Anyone Investigated Who Still Manufactures Frames..................?

Latest reports:

Most of the European manufacturers have stopped the manufacturing of frames in their countries, specially Germany and Italy

Some of your big and admired brand names are supposedly made now in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea. Brought to Europe, assembly of temples is made and brand names stamped on them.

Anybody got some input to this?

Thread Information