Thread: Windows Media Player and Macs?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier Windows Media Player and Macs?

I need some help!

I have started a home study course.
    The virtual classroom videos are using Microsoft Media Player. I can not get them to run on my Mac. They do download, and when I go to play them-the box displays a bunch of letter and number jibberish. The owner of the school assured me that some of the students have Macs and it shouldn't be a problem. I fear that it is only a problem after he cashed my check! ;)

I am hopeful that there is an easy answer!

Any help, suggestions, insults, PC-jabs, cajoling, light-hearted chop busting? Anything?

Thanks!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I need some help!

I have started a home study course.
    The virtual classroom videos are using Microsoft Media Player. I can not get them to run on my Mac. They do download, and when I go to play them-the box displays a bunch of letter and number jibberish. The owner of the school assured me that some of the students have Macs and it shouldn't be a problem. I fear that it is only a problem after he cashed my check! ;)

I am hopeful that there is an easy answer!

Any help, suggestions, insults, PC-jabs, cajoling, light-hearted chop busting? Anything?

Thanks!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Do you have the Mac version of Media Player?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...9/default.aspx

Sorry, I don't know much about Macs, but isn't there also some software like a Windows emulator to run on Mac?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Dragon.

I tried the link and I tried to get that download to work=ZILCH. I followed the directions and downloaded a Stuffit program=Zilch. I tried for hours and hours last night=Zero.

I did some more digging on that link and saw that Microsoft had a download that allows the Mac Quicktime media player to convert/run Microsoft Media files. I downloaded that=*B*I*N*G*O*~!!! Everything is working fine now. I just have to go back and delete all of the other downloads to clean things up!

Thanks!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 05-07-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Thanks Dragon.

I tried the link and I tried to get that download to work=ZILCH. I followed the directions and downloaded a Stuffit program=Zilch. I tried for hours and hours last night=Zero.

I did some more digging on that link and saw that Microsoft had a download that allows the Mac Quicktime media player to convert/run Microsoft Media files. I downloaded that=*B*I*N*G*O*~!!! Everything is working fine now. I just have to go back and delete all of the other downloads to clean things up!

Thanks!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Gee, and I thought Macs were the bestest, crashproofest,easiest, and any other superlatives you care to mention.:cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Gee, and I thought Macs were the bestest, crashproofest,easiest, and any other superlatives you care to mention.:cheers:
    Well, recall that we are talking about trying to play WINDOWS media player files. If they had only used quicktime......;)

What s/he probably ended up downloading it get it to work was: Flip for Mac.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Mac OS has the best interface of any media players in both computer and portable form factors. Consider the iPhone.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

VLC Player

VLC is the best.

It comes with almost all the video codecs available including DVD, runs on all platforms and is has such a small footprint that you can even place the executable on a network drive without the usual software install. The thing about the latter is that you can dispense media files with a player in the same folder or drive.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Visioneer View Post
    VLC is the best.

It comes with almost all the video codecs available including DVD, runs on all platforms and is has such a small footprint that you can even place the executable on a network drive without the usual software install. The thing about the latter is that you can dispense media files with a player in the same folder or drive.

That is probably THE most compatible player around.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Thread Information