Thread: Accused of being racist...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Accused of being racist...

Have you ever had a patient feel you didn't serve them properly and then accuse you of being racist? How do you handle this situation? I can understand a complaint that you could've been more friendly/helpful/whatever, but why in the world would someone go so far as to say it was because of the color of their skin?? This is a serious accusation which IMHO packs a pretty large punch to one's reputation in the eyes of those who sign his/her paychecks and shouldn't be said lightly.
    What are your thoughts?
    How would you make peace with the patient? Apologize? Make a case that you're not racist? Leave it alone?
    Thanks in advance!

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

They are the one

Racist that is ,they will never stop. Forget it and go.:cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Tell them you refuse to serve their kind!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It depends on the particulars of the situation.

If you honestly feel you did everything that you normally would do to please someone and serve them.. then I would address the manner as following:

I am sorry (sir or madam) that you feel that way. I try to serve our patients to the best of my ability in the fairest ways possible. If at this point you feel as if I don't have your best interests at heart, I would be more than happy to have another associate assist you. You are also welcome to talk to the practice owner (or call corporate if a chain store)

----

Don't argue with them about it. It will only escalate the situation. I would take a few minutes to either write down the series of events, or at least talk to someone above you about the situation. If you know the triggering event (refused warranty because of abuse, stuck to office policy of no buyer's remorse remakes, etc) then I would give that heads up to the person that will be taking over on the situation.

The main thing is, while we all want to defend ourselves to this person, it has the potential to do more harm than good. If other patients see you handle the situation with grace, then they are less likely to believe the problem patient's claim.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Never had this issue arise with any of my customers- however, at the last office I managed I was accused of being racist by one of our employees.

Specifically, she was upset that the office did not recognize Martin Luther King Day with a paid day off- which she considered racist. I pointed out that the office also didn't recognize President's Day, Columbus Day, or Good Friday with paid days either...

I would just leave it be.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    It depends on the particulars of the situation.

If you honestly feel you did everything that you normally would do to please someone and serve them.. then I would address the manner as following:

I am sorry (sir or madam) that you feel that way. I try to serve our patients to the best of my ability in the fairest ways possible. If at this point you feel as if I don't have your best interests at heart, I would be more than happy to have another associate assist you. You are also welcome to talk to the practice owner (or call corporate if a chain store)

----

Don't argue with them about it. It will only escalate the situation. I would take a few minutes to either write down the series of events, or at least talk to someone above you about the situation. If you know the triggering event (refused warranty because of abuse, stuck to office policy of no buyer's remorse remakes, etc) then I would give that heads up to the person that will be taking over on the situation.

The main thing is, while we all want to defend ourselves to this person, it has the potential to do more harm than good. If other patients see you handle the situation with grace, then they are less likely to believe the problem patient's claim.
    Excellent advice. Don't take the bait and remain professional.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I was a teenager I worked in a store and one time I started to wait on the wrong person when two people were waiting. The person I didn't start to help was black and she went off on me. She was sure it was because of her color and not just an honest mistake.

I learned a lesson, always ask.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the advice. The situation was very similar to Happy Lady's post.
    In my opinion, the color of someone's skin is because of the amount of pigment in their skin, nothing more. Judging based on skin color is like saying I have more Vitamin C in my bloodstream, so I'm better than you. Makes no sense at all.
    I guess the whole thing really threw me for a loop because it was so out of left field.
    Again, thanks for the advice. Jubilee, you hit it on the head.
    Have a great day, all!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Have you ever had a patient feel you didn't serve them properly and then accuse you of being racist?

How would you make peace with the patient? Apologize? Make a case that you're not racist? Leave it alone?
    Thanks in advance!

It happens more than you could imagine, at one of my offices, and not just me, but other staff members, of all races.

I always keep in mind that the person is either new to the practice , or someone that comes around once every two or three years. It is also usually someone that did not get something they wanted...for free.

The people I work with (staff and supporting professionals) consider the source, and know that racism is not in any way, shape, or form tolerated in my office, and that's that.

I don't bother defending myself. I simply dismiss the person making the claim, and move on.

I don't waste my time trying to "make peace".
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information