On another thread the topic drifted (imagine that) from SV free form to night driving. Pete Hanlin requested a new thread to cover this issue and the great discussion that ensued.

See thread here, starting on page 2: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...192#post294192

The question of what to do with patients who have a difficulty driving at night arose after Pete made this comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
... That brings me to fad product that just really causes me to seethe- namely, yellow tinted "night driving" lenses. Basically, placing ANY tint in front of the eye will reduce contrast sensitivity (because less light is making it to the retina). Anyone who could theoretically benefit from a yellow tint (e.g., someone with advancing cataracts) probably shouldn't be driving at night anyway. I would discourage practitioners from prescribing any kind of tinted lens for night driving (at least in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area :^).
So Pete, here is your new thread. And to everyone else, is there anything we can do to help patients who do have trouble driving at night?

Sharpstick