Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davis Vision lab messing up thickness!!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Davis Vision lab messing up thickness!!

I have a patient that wears a +6.50 and she's in 1.67 high index. they keep sending the glasses with the thinnest point on the edge 2.7mm. They argued with me that they can't get the lens any thinner. :angry: Are they insane? I ran a lab for 7 years and KNOW it can be thinner!!! They're just lazy and cheap. Then they had the nerve to tell me they can't do it because it's over 30 days (it's been 5 weeks since the initial order). They have done the lenses 3 times!!!! Is it me? Did labs change so much in the past 8 years since I surfaced that a 1.6 or 1.8 edge thickness is not possible? I may be blonde, but I know it can be done. (and I know it's the thinnest point that needs to be measured)
    "You can't think about it, you just gotta let your brain do the work....."
    my dad

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Davis :Labs?
    Messing up?!?!

Can't be! They're "Colts Certified" and vetted for quality, apparently by the best independent body there is in our field...

...or is it?

Barry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jcasowder View Post
    I have a patient that wears a +6.50 and she's in 1.67 high index. they keep sending the glasses with the thinnest point on the edge 2.7mm. They argued with me that they can't get the lens any thinner. :angry: Are they insane? I ran a lab for 7 years and KNOW it can be thinner!!! They're just lazy and cheap. Then they had the nerve to tell me they can't do it because it's over 30 days (it's been 5 weeks since the initial order). They have done the lenses 3 times!!!! Is it me? Did labs change so much in the past 8 years since I surfaced that a 1.6 or 1.8 edge thickness is not possible? I may be blonde, but I know it can be done. (and I know it's the thinnest point that needs to be measured)
    Yes, of course it can still be done, providing it's a full rimed frame. They should be able to grind it to knife edge.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow are you me writing this? I am having the exact same problem. Not only did they send me horribly thick horribly disgusting lenses, but they absolutely destroyed my frame. I have no idea where to go from here but there is NO WAY I am dispensing these lenses to my patient! I have sent the job back twice with a detailed letter on why the job was unacceptable, they promptly sent me one back that said this job meets ansi standards. Gues what? It does not meet my standards! It doesn't meet anyone's standards!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Davis is also ISO-9001 Certified! Big Deal!!!

I previously wrote a letter to Davis Vision as a favor to child who had very poor vision and could only afford the Davis job. I gave her a free pair to prove that done correctly the child could see well and then pointed out on my letterhead everything that was wrong with the glasses. They were not even close to being accurate.

They finally did them and got it decent after 5-6 tries and some very nasty conversations!

I am confused? What purpose is served by paying for insurance which only serve to add to the overall cost of providing quality care.

Craig

I am so glad we do not take insurance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

They see what they see!

The real shame of this is:

It doesn't matter how many times that you explain to the patient that it is THEIR insurance company making the glasses and that you have no control over it, they never *GET IT*.

You are responsible, your office failed them, you *B*L*O*W*, you are incompetent, you dropped the ball, you are making excuses, you are, you are, you are......................................................... .......!

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    For all the consumers reading this, this is why human resource departments at your employer should not be making decisions about where you get your vision care and eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by orangezero View Post
    For all the consumers reading this, this is why human resource departments at your employer should not be making decisions about where you get your vision care and eyewear.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinieNicole View Post
    Wow are you me writing this? I am having the exact same problem. Not only did they send me horribly thick horribly disgusting lenses, but they absolutely destroyed my frame. I have no idea where to go from here but there is NO WAY I am dispensing these lenses to my patient! I have sent the job back twice with a detailed letter on why the job was unacceptable, they promptly sent me one back that said this job meets ansi standards. Gues what? It does not meet my standards! It doesn't meet anyone's standards!

Yes, I'm you and venting was needed. So, when you were not looking I posted this to suprise you!

The guy I had talked to at Davis shut up real fast when I told him that I surfaced lenses for 7 years, and I KNOW how think they should be, and how they could have done it with one pair of UNCUT I sent back by reblocking running it like I told him. That would have saved them money and time if they had someone in the lab that knew how to do it.:hammer:
    my dad

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So

SO what came of that job? I have an extremely upset elderly man that is in desperate need of his glasses! Did Davis finally correct the job?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinieNicole View Post
    SO what came of that job? I have an extremely upset elderly man that is in desperate need of his glasses! Did Davis finally correct the job?

It's en route as we speak (or type :D) to the lab. They said they "would review the order and call". They better redo the lenses or there's going to be one crazy white chick gettin' all up in their grill!!!

What's going on with the elderly man's glasses?
    my dad

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    which lab are you dealing with of theirs?

We have had some "issues" with them over the years, and got them all resolved. Sometimes it was a matter of having words with the lab manager, and other times we took a two prong approach. We not only would call and work it over with the managers, but we also would ask the patient to call and express their concers to Quality Assurance. The phone call to QA and letting the patient hear from the reps themselves let's them know that 1) yep.. Davis is the one who is the hold up 2) when "members" are upset compared to providers, options become available that maybe weren't offered before.

My favorite though is when a high ranking exec had issues, 2 months later still not corrected. He not only got them to pay to have our local lab process the order, but every year since.. whenever we authorize him or a family member, we get a call asking us when the visit is.. and after delivery if they meet standards. That was 4 years ago..and yes, they called me this week when his wife came in :D
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Davis Vision

Years ago we were dealing with Davis Vision. After way too many complaints and non compliant jobs, we had to stop accepting that insurance. We have never had a lab do so poorly and their customer service employees couldn't seem to get anything done either. I have never regretted that decision. It seems from all these posts that Davis Vison still can't do a quality pair of glassees.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's en route as we speak (or type :D) to the lab. They said they "would review the order and call". They better redo the lenses or there's going to be one crazy white chick gettin' all up in their grill!!!

What's going on with the elderly man's glasses?

Twice I sent it back, and they "reviewed" it and said the job was fine. I know I shouldn't have to do this but I sent it to our lab to be done, we have to eat it, in the meanwhile though I'm fighting to get Davis to refund the job. This patient has been coming to this practice long before the optical was ever here as well as his children and his childrens, children, and they all wear glasses. I hate to bite it, but they have been great patients with lovely attitudes and have not blamed us once for all this. The elderly man's son has made numerous phone calls to Davis as well as his fathers main medical insurance. So that's where it stands. Funny that I only have problems with lenses that need to be cut for our own frames, but never have these problems with a "Davis" frame.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Funny that I only have problems with lenses that need to be cut for our own frames, but never have these problems with a "Davis" frame.
    If you're only having thickness problems on uncuts, it is undoubtedly because you're giving them bad frame trace data.
    RT

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    If you're only having thickness problems on uncuts, it is undoubtedly because you're giving them bad frame trace data.
    I wish it was that simple. Alas it is not, I send the frame in as per Davis and they DESTROY them, even in very simple spherical prescriptions, in which case they not only mangle the frames, they edge the lenses too small.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    They get the frame info from us. In my case, it was a brand new frame off our board, and when I sent them the frame for the redo, they sent it back with thick lenses STILL! There was no excuse for that, because they had the brand new frame (It's a LuLu Guinness by Tura) to get the proper info. I gave them the measurements on the frame from the Tura catalog to ensure everything was correct. Plain and simple, they have people working the lab that don't have much experience so they can keep pay and costs down. If you learn too much, they make your work life difficult so you will look for employment elsewhere. Worked for a lab like that at one point in my life. They're an insurance company. It's their job to ensure they pay as little out of pocket as possible.
    my dad

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by orangezero View Post
    There's very little control on top quality when the business is tendered to the lowest bidder to conform with the most stringent margins.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Many yearss ago when I was dispensing I called our davis lab and complained bitterly that they had to remake about a third of our orders. The response I got was that I was exagerating and they only showed a 28% redo rate on my account! :angry:

Nice to see some things never change.
    Some people see the glass as half empty, some as half full. I see the glass and wonder what the radius of curvature is.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Crickett13 View Post
    Many yearss ago when I was dispensing I called our davis lab and complained bitterly that they had to remake about a third of our orders. The response I got was that I was exagerating and they only showed a 28% redo rate on my account! :angry:

Nice to see some things never change.
    Even still how is it that they can justify a 28% redo rate? Like 28% is wonderful!!!!!!!! They like to see the glass as half full I guess.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Davis Vision

DROP DAVIS VISION!! it's that simple, or just had the patient $20.00 when they walk in.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We fought to keep Davis out of our state. We kept some of the state employee but still lost a few plans to Davis. We simply don't accept Davis. They will not let me control quality by going to another lab if they don't do an acceptable job. Did I lose business? Yes I sure did. It just saved alot of headaches. Have I gotten some of it back over the last couple of years. Yes, my previous patients got tired of the Davis quality.

Speaking on lens thickness. I have a lab I use that I have an excellent working relationship. With a full rimmed frame, they will surface for a temple edge thickness thats sub 1.5mm.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't take Davis where I'm at but it sure sounds like you all are talking about Spectera lab....same prob.!
    Lots of QA prob's and even so bad we would have to fax and refax + refax the orders "they never received" ...the worst was when they admitted to everyone quitting at once and had no staff....then the staff they did get had NO expierence....to their own admission.
    This happened twice in 2-3 month period about 2 years ago +/-. So we dropped the spectacle benefit and take it for exam + CL only... ( I still hate waiting for them to supply CL though!)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The bad news, well interesting in a way, is Davis was correct.. it did meet all the ansi standards.. which does not cover "thickness" unless it is under Z87 ..only power/axis/prism/pd ... other than that you will see "use manufacturer recommended thickness" over and over....
    I can tell you exactly why your lens are so thick, they pulled a pair of stock finished lens and edged them for ya... pull out the calipers and cut your own stock finished lens and you will probably get that same edge thickness

Just because it filled the "letter of the law" still does not make it acceptable .. they can just use that law book, roll it up and smack you on top the head... just like house training a cat or dog...

Jeff " here kitty kitty...:hammer:" Trail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I just find that quality has really gone downhill!

There's no quality control, the product is ridiculous, they only allow certain products with certain plans, and i've had simple jobs take a month or more!

Thread Information