Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Davis Vision lab messing up thickness!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    The real shame of this is:

It doesn't matter how many times that you explain to the patient that it is THEIR insurance company making the glasses and that you have no control over it, they never *GET IT*.

You are responsible, your office failed them, you *B*L*O*W*, you are incompetent, you dropped the ball, you are making excuses, you are, you are, you are......................................................... .......!
    That's because Davis has never been late in collecting their fees from patients paychecks not even once but the glasses you make always seem to come out wrong or take forever to make right.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Davis has got the be the absolute WORST. 4-6 month average turn times for us...horrid cosmetics...complete disconnect between the CS reps and the actual labs...mangled frames here too...complete refusal to own their mistakes...complete refusal to remake their mistakes...denial denial denial.

BOO DAVIS VISION! BOO BOO BOO!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Absolutely.........

Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    There's very little control on top quality when the business is tendered to the lowest bidder to conform with the most stringent margins.
    Gosh Darn Right! OMG, just look at all the time wasted, the patient's total loss of confidence in you, because Fezz is right, you can talk lab-lab-lab all you want and the patient will blame you. And as Eyeman says-all because some penny pinching lab guy cares not about quality but only money, money, money! I have been in the same position myself. Besides competent lab staff working to please, you need(on plus orders) exact measurements of all dimensions, the frame itself or an exact tracing of it, and someone who knows where the edge of the usable blank will be. Supply the frame and request a knife edge grind and any decent lab can produce for you, and your patient, superior results. ;)
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Gosh Darn Right! OMG, just look at all the time wasted, the patient's total loss of confidence in you, because Fezz is right, you can talk lab-lab-lab all you want and the patient will blame you. And as Eyeman says-all because some penny pinching lab guy cares not about quality but only money, money, money! I have been in the same position myself. Besides competent lab staff working to please, you need(on plus orders) exact measurements of all dimensions, the frame itself or an exact tracing of it, and someone who knows where the edge of the usable blank will be. Supply the frame and request a knife edge grind and any decent lab can produce for you, and your patient, superior results. ;)

In fact, all kids packages up to +4.00 are in stock! And that nasty edge thickness of 6.0mm, that just makes it real safe! ;)

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Try this

Give the glasses to the customer and tell them they are not "perfect" but they are the best your insurance company can or will provide. Then tell them, if you have a problem complain in writing to your employer and Davis Vision.
    Inform them if they want topurchase a "first quality" pair you will be glad to make them.
    I TAKE NO INSURANCE :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I must admit to being confused. It seems that you all agree this company is only interested in making profits for themselves , they willingly and consistently sacrifice quality and patient and customer relationships. Your reputation with your own customers is also sacrificed when you deal with this lab and vision care plan . It keeps coming back to bite you.

Now here is where I don't get it . Without you enabling this company , then they could not exist . So to make some meager profits you are signing up with them knowing full well what the risks are ? Why do you keep doing it ? Why do you do it at all ?

Is the incremental revenue increase worth it ? What would happen if you had the job shipped directly from the lab to the patient ? Now the patient would see the lab address and know it came that way directly from the lab and not from you . Now they coould walk the job into their human resources people and show them the quality .
    Last edited by idispense; 01-18-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Bad address email on file rounded optician's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry davis' lack of quality

Hate to admit it (or even remember it!) but I was briefly a manager at a Davis lab years ago. The upper management constantly pressures the labs on breakage and turn around time. Much of the work is inspected on Humphrey's auto lensometers. If you try hard enough you can get just about any reading you want with them!! Later after moving on from there back into retail I would NEVER send any frame to their lab that I considered at all valuable. I would just order uncuts and edge them myself. I have NEVER seen anyone use calipers to measure thickness. Remember their equipment is all computerized and based on the information input from the order takers. Be proactive, explain to every patient that the lenses will be made by their insurance company's lab, and it will take forever to get any difficult RX's. Return everything that is not up to your standards. Call the patient the first time it comes in wrong and tell them to call "quality assurance". Be specific, if you have a problem with surfacing talk to the surfacing manager, finishing, talk to the finishing manager. We just don't take insurances where I work now. For those that do, good luck, you'll need it!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put a display in your store of the glasses from the Davis lab as you recieved them out of the box. Beside those glasses also display the correctly made job and the price you would charge from a good quality lab . Also display the length of time it took to get the job. Now ask each insurance customer , which job they want . Have this choice documented with a tick off box on their receipt that they also initial. Hand them the job when it comes in , no matter what it looks like . Photograph the job . Send it to Davis , the lab, and the human resources department of the customer.

Your a$$ is now covered and you are educating the patient and human resources . You gave the customer his choice. Now that is the end of the matter . Any redo's they pay for themselves. Any arguments about what quality they received , you show them the tick off box on their receipt that they initialled and you let them deal direct with the lab and Davis.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've had many issues with quality with Davis and trying to talk to them is like trying to talk with a brick wall. I have to remember that I am often not talking to a licensed optician when I call. We have found that it is sometimes easier (although more paperwork) to do the job in-house, and bill Davis.

Thread Information