Thread: IE7 fails to connect after my last Vista Update

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

IE7 fails to connect after my last Vista Update

This is driving me crazy. I could not find a solution via google online so I am posting here. I have IE7 and Vista Business on my laptop. After my last Windows Update, IE7 could not connect to the internet. MSN, Skype and Outlook could connect. If I roll back the update the problem goes away. I use AVG for my antivirus and firewall. Windows Firewall is turned off. I have tried shutting down my firewall but still experience the same problem. As I am typing this I am wondering if the port for IE7 is being blocked by the new update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    I think I'm using a similar setup & have experienced no such problem... I'd suggest looking in IE at Tools - Options - Connection and see if there's an erroneous proxy setting. I don't know why there would be, but... take a look.

I wonder if there's something about the Vista update that runs afoul of the Great Firewall...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    I think I'm using a similar setup & have experienced no such problem... I'd suggest looking in IE at Tools - Options - Connection and see if there's an erroneous proxy setting. I don't know why there would be, but... take a look.

I wonder if there's something about the Vista update that runs afoul of the Great Firewall...
    Hi Robert,

How have you been? Any plans for another trip my way?

I do not have any proxy settings in my LAN settings. Even my VPN Proxy which I use to bypass the Great Firewall cannot connect. For now I am rolling back the update and will wait until something shows up on the internet addressing the issue.

Regards,
    Eric

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Hi, Eric,

I think I'm finally re-oriented (!) from my trip to your 'hood. Took a while - I pretty much got back home, re-packed and left for MIDO.

I'm not sure when I'll make it back over there, but probably sooner than I think.

Sorry I missed you at Vision Expo.

Also sorry that I can't help you with your IE issue - I'm using IE7 and IE8 with Vista Ultimate (on two different computers), and I think I'm up to date on all the M$ updates, save for some Group Policy thing (don't use those), and HID Input Filter (not sure what that is), and PowerShell 1.0 (if I wanted to use a shell I'd use Linux). Can't imagine why yours has a problem. Are you sure that the update doesn't enable the Windows Firewall? Even that shouldn't block port 80...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Have you tried disabling UAC, I have heard that this could create issues every now and again.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    Hi, Eric,
    I think I'm finally re-oriented (!) from my trip to your 'hood. Took a while - I pretty much got back home, re-packed and left for MIDO.

I'm not sure when I'll make it back over there, but probably sooner than I think.

Sorry I missed you at Vision Expo.

Also sorry that I can't help you with your IE issue - I'm using IE7 and IE8 with Vista Ultimate (on two different computers), and I think I'm up to date on all the M$ updates, save for some Group Policy thing (don't use those), and HID Input Filter (not sure what that is), and PowerShell 1.0 (if I wanted to use a shell I'd use Linux). Can't imagine why yours has a problem. Are you sure that the update doesn't enable the Windows Firewall? Even that shouldn't block port 80...
    Welcome back. It took me 2 weeks to get back on China time. This was the hardest trip for me in recent memory.

Sorry I missed you at VE, too. See you next time in China.

Windows Firewall is turned off. I did find a thread on the internet telling about others having the same problem this past week. I will follow it and see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Have you tried disabling UAC, I have heard that this could create issues every now and again.
    Hi Harry, I disabled UAC 2 months ago when it too was causing a problem.
    I

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Have you tried ditching IE and using Firefox?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information