Thread: Shopping Experience - Maybe Optical Related

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Shopping Experience - Maybe Optical Related

This is a non-Optical shopping experience I had. But I think it is relatable. If I felt these things while shopping for other items, then maybe consumers feel the same things when shopping for glasses.

It was a fine Saturday morning and I wanted to do some shopping. Here is what I wanted to get:
    - A few new dress shirts
    - Some casual clothing
    - A pair of wing-tipped shoes

The first place I went was to Moores. I tend to buy my dress shirts at Moores. I know my size, the prices are fair, and they got a great selection. I picked up a few from the standard area, and made my purchase. I would say that the average shirt ran between $45 and $55.

Next, I went to Old Navy. I like to buy my clothes from there, because it is cheap and has a wide selection. I find that clothes do not last long, so I am hesitant on paying $100 for them. Now, I wanted to buy some long sleeve t-shirt. In Thunder Bay, in March, it is still bloody cold. So I asked the girl for long sleeve t-shirts. She informed me that it is now summer and they do not have them anymore. The temperature could have fooled me. Whatever... I picked up a couple nice button down shirts, and moved on. Each $20.

Next, I went to the Shoe Company. Large selection is the key here. Also, Old Navy, Moores, and the Shoe Company are all in the same strip mall, so location helped too. Service sucks, and on Saturday's it is worse. I left, because I could not see any wing-tips and there was no one there to help me.

I next went across town to a local business. The guy talked to me about wing-tips and why no one has them right now. Demand is just not there. He told me how the market is going and such. I wanted to buy from him, but I decided to check out his competitor around the corner first. I want these wing-tips!!!

So I went to the next place. No wing-tips. Out of pure tiredness, I decided I would consider their other offerings. This good looking you girl came up to me and asked if I needed help. I asked her if they had any wing-tips. She asked me what a wing-tip is. I cringed. I then asked the price of the shoes that I was looking at. Now, I knew this place was a little expensive. I was thinking $150-$200 tops. She told me $400 :drop:

I hid my objections for a while. Her main selling point is "The Boss shoes are nice." Yes, I can see that they have a designer brand name associated with them, but these are no nicer than the other "industry" brand name shoes I have seen all day. I also bet there is no quality there. And telling me that they are "nice" is not very convincing. Eventually, I told her that there is no way that I would feel comfortable wearing $400 shoes to work, and I was looking for daily basis.

I then wanted to look at their shirts. Found a button down casual shirt, similiar to that of Old Navy. It was also a Boss designer brand name. This one was not $20, however. It was $180. I left.

Went back to the last place where the guy was ever so helpful. He gave me the service, I bought a pair of shoes.

So what are the lessons here:
    - Stock what people are looking for now, not what they are looking for 6 months from now. Also, if you are an international store, do not assume that people in the North have the same weather as in the South

- The person who has $400 brand name shoes has had a successful business for years. There is a market for it. BUT, only a small one. Most people leave for comparable products at 10% of the price.

- If you are going to sell designer brand names, pay for a decent sales force. No first year University student who knows nothing. God bless her, it is not her fault, she did not receive the training, but give me a break.

- Location and selection does matter

- In the end, many of the stores acheived my random purchases, but the last store gained a client through its service.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Amen!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=For-Life;293406]

- Stock what people are looking for now, not what they are looking for 6 months from now. Also, if you are an international store, do not assume that people in the North have the same weather as in the South

- If you are going to sell designer brand names, pay for a decent sales force. No first year University student who knows nothing. God bless her, it is not her fault, she did not receive the training, but give me a break.
    QUOTE]

I live in the north and really by April I do not want to look at another stinkin' sweater. What I want is to think of Summer and see Summer and smell Summer and buy Summer. I bought a bathing suit yesterday. I won't wear it for six more weeks but it made me happy.

If you are going to sell designer brand names you absolutely should have an experienced sales force. But if that first year University law student has personality, looks and a disarming smile, I'll hire her. But then I'd try to train her.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    [QUOTE=cocoisland58;293506]
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post

QUOTE]

Trust me, you do not live in the North. You live more North than South, but you do not have my coldness.

I live in the north and really by April I do not want to look at another stinkin' sweater. What I want is to think of Summer and see Summer and smell Summer and buy Summer. I bought a bathing suit yesterday. I won't wear it for six more weeks but it made me happy.

If you are going to sell designer brand names you absolutely should have an experienced sales force. But if that first year University law student has personality, looks and a disarming smile, I'll hire her. But then I'd try to train her.

Trust me, you do not live in the North. You live more North than South, but you do not have my coldness.

Come here in January and see the BIG difference. lol

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It is true, I have gone in to a place of business with a set $$$ in mind to spend but have often gone ahead and spent more for quality - service and merchandise. The better the service, the guaranty I will be back!

Oh, and it is going to reach high 90's on Monday and every store is selling sweaters...!

Thread Information