Thread: High myope with a high base curve. Help!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Confused High myope with a high base curve. Help!

Hi,

First of all sorry if something like this has been posted before; I did search but did not find anything. I'm a dispensing optician working as a lab technician part time and training as an optometrist.

My dad's rx is:

RE: -7.00 DS
    LE: -6.00/-0.50 x 175
    Add +2.25

My dad used to wear Varilux Comfort which he loved. His optometrist changed him to a Panamic which he didnt like as much. He now wears a Physio which is better but he still preferred the Comfort. Now I'm thinking of going for a 1.67 Comfort Advans. The problem is is that he has chosen a rimless frame with a 4 base front curve and he wants to match that curve/wrap around look. If i were to go for a 4 base Comfort Advans 1.67 would that curvature cause more distortion? Usually I would have used a 1.75 base but he wants the curvature!

My question is is that would this curvature with this rx cause any discomfort (excuse the pun)? Any ideas?

Regards

Adil

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    He might feel pretty "wobbly"! Plus his lenses will be quite thick so depending on the mounting this could cause a problem installing the lenses.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by adil_sazan View Post
    If i were to go for a 4 base Comfort Advans 1.67 would that curvature cause more distortion?
    +4BC is probably the right curve for the 1.67 Comfort because it's not aspheric. Verify with your lab, but you should be good to go.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    +4BC is probably the right curve for the 1.67 Comfort because it's not aspheric. Verify with your lab, but you should be good to go.
    Roberts right the +4.00 is going to give minimal tangential error, and the oblique astigmatism will be minimal within 30 degrees go for it.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

optimization of RX may be needed

Any specifics on what your dad preferred in the comfort, compared to the new lens?

I use wholesale lab Pech for high rx's that might need optimization for a curve change.
    Sorry, I don't have the number on me, but search Pech lab out of sioux city, wonderful tech support they will walk you on whether or not job will need
    Rx compensation and if it can be fabricated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I had a similar situation. Pat was a -6.00 and wanted a 6 base "sports" frame with a trans. PAL. I ordered a 5.50 base Natural poly trans. and the pat. had no complaints at dispense. There should be no problem fulfilling your Dads' request. You may want to look into the Comfort 360 for further possible distortion reduction.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The problem that when the curve is hight the distence between eye and lens will increase and this will make the viwing area more small .

Hamza Mahmoud

Mail : mahmoud.hamza@optylab.com
    Web : www.optylab.com

Occupation
    Hi,

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I did try for the comfort 360 but Essilor UK do not make that lens. They only make the Advans one which has a wider intermediate and reading area. So I'm going to go for the 4 BC and I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Adil

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In these situations I try to keep in mind that I can choose the BC for the optimal optics, or we can choose the BC for the frame (which by definition is probably less than ideal optics). My final call would depend on the pt's preference (looks or vision).
    Gotta plug it: Autograph Attitude! I've had great success with myopes and 6-8 BC sunglasses!

I see that your post was two months ago and I'd like to know how it turned out.

Best of luck.

Bad address email on file RetroRat's Avatar
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    In these situations I try to keep in mind that I can choose the BC for the optimal optics, or we can choose the BC for the frame (which by definition is probably less than ideal optics). My final call would depend on the pt's preference (looks or vision).
    Gotta plug it: Autograph Attitude! I've had great success with myopes and 6-8 BC sunglasses!

Best of luck.
    We use the attitude for anything over a base 8 lens where I am, and have had zero complaints (Except for the price! :bbg:)

I myself got a pair in a rayban wrapped frame (10BC), but as a very mild myop I probably did not benefit as much as say a -07.00 would. Still I was very pleased with the lens and still am!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post

Best of luck.
    Um, actually 1 year and two months ago....:hammer:

But I'd also like to hear how it turned out.

The Autograph II Attitude is a great lens and we've had a lot of success with it. I just wish the accounts would learn what frames can and cannot be Rx'ed..... not that it really matters since we do them all anyway, but there would be a lot less swearing and cursing.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Thread Information