Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Sunwear are you going with?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

What Sunwear are you going with?

What Sunwear lines are you going with?
    What is moving well in your office?

Thanks
    Sharpstick

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rebel does the best for men (hands down) and I would say either Tatoo or Guess does best for women, around here anyway. I also carry Bolle, Koali, Mexx, Tommy Hilfiger, Julbo and Theory. I would give anything to get Oakley's, but there are "too many distributers in my area" apparently!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    my parents have Humphrey, Bolle, Serengetti, Tattoo, Vanni, and Ted Baker

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    my parents have Humphrey, Bolle, Serengetti, Tattoo, Vanni, and Ted Baker
    Dear friend,

Who's the distributer for Tattoo and Vanni in Canada?
    Are Tattoo suns made by Ed Hardy?

Regards, M:)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by renee1111 View Post
    Rebel does the best for men (hands down) and I would say either Tatoo or Guess does best for women, around here anyway. I also carry Bolle, Koali, Mexx, Tommy Hilfiger, Julbo and Theory. I would give anything to get Oakley's, but there are "too many distributers in my area" apparently!
    Renee, I could not find anything in google for "rebel sunwear", who distributes them?

Thanks,
    Sharpstick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Canadian distibuter is Lanctot- there from Morel France.
    here's a link: http://www.morel-france.com/en/rebel...NNY%20NOXVILLE
    The sunglasses are on the right and opthalmic on the left.
    Hope this hepls!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by i care guy View Post
    Dear friend,

Who's the distributer for Tattoo and Vanni in Canada?
    Are Tattoo suns made by Ed Hardy?

Regards, M:)
    Lanctot is also the distributer for tatoo
    Here's a link http://www.morel-france.com/en/tatoo/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If a specific ophthalmic line carries both conventional frames and sun frames we will display both side-by-side on our boards. We have Armani, Banana Republic, BCBG (both womens and mens), Fendi, Nine West, Dior, Kio Yamato and their sister brand O&X, Coach, Silhouette, Daniel Swarovski and of course Maui Jim.

Having the frames side-by-side has increased our second pair sun purchases by 50%.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    If a specific ophthalmic line carries both conventional frames and sun frames we will display both side-by-side on our boards. We have Armani, Banana Republic, BCBG (both womens and mens), Fendi, Nine West, Dior, Kio Yamato and their sister brand O&X, Coach, Silhouette, Daniel Swarovski and of course Maui Jim.

Having the frames side-by-side has increased our second pair sun purchases by 50%.
    what do you mean? You put the sun frames on the same board as the ophthalmic?

Bad address email on file melvilletim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do the same here. i have put a double row of sunglasses right at eye level with opthalmics above and below. Like a ribbon around the office. Really helps to keep in mind sunwear for patients and also reminds Me to SHOW THEM. Looks nice too. That way the sun's aren't sitting all alone on the board.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...I would give anything to get Oakley's, but there are "too many distributers in my area" apparently!
    Honestly? Really...WHY???

You really want the headache of dealing with the company and their special brand of extra-needy, over demanding "patients"? (In my experience they're ANYTHING BUT patient! LOL) :hammer::D

For such a mediocre product, you can do much better with any number of sport specific lines that offer far greater product support, optics, frame quality...and far less cocky reps! :shiner:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Completely agree about the company's service, which I think is atrocious, but disagree on the product, which I think is excellent.

Occupation
    We have had good success with Costa Del Mar as nearly all of their styles are RX'able. Therefore our representation of the product serves double duty.

Oakley's have been a headache lately for some of the reasons mentioned in earlier posts and I have been considering replacing Oakley with WileyX.

I looked at WileyX product at VEE and was impressed on how they expanded on style options over the past 2-3 years.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    what do you mean? You put the sun frames on the same board as the ophthalmic?

Yes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Honestly? Really...WHY???

You really want the headache of dealing with the company and their special brand of extra-needy, over demanding "patients"? (In my experience they're ANYTHING BUT patient! LOL) :hammer::D

For such a mediocre product, you can do much better with any number of sport specific lines that offer far greater product support, optics, frame quality...and far less cocky reps! :shiner:
    Simply because I get people in all the time, asking specifically for them. The worst part is they don't want anything else, just Oakley. So it's very frustrating seeing someone walk out the door, because I don't carry them. In other words: it's a gold mine - but I can't get in on the action

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Simply because I get people in all the time, asking specifically for them. The worst part is they don't want anything else, just Oakley. So it's very frustrating seeing someone walk out the door, because I don't carry them. In other words: it's a gold mine - but I can't get in on the action
    Renee, I have never seen such poor vendor service as I have with Oakley. Think of the frustrating phone calls your saving yourself, the broken promises you will never have to hear, and the hours spent trying to get a warranty item replaced.

Great frames, crappy service.

Sharpstick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The Canadian distibuter is Lanctot- there from Morel France.
    here's a link: http://www.morel-france.com/en/rebel...NNY%20NOXVILLE
    The sunglasses are on the right and opthalmic on the left.
    Hope this hepls!
    Thanks Renee, I don't they distribute those lines in the US (yet). They only offer Oga, Koali, and LST here.

Sharpstick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by PAkev View Post
    We have had good success with Costa Del Mar as nearly all of their styles are RX'able. Therefore our representation of the product serves double duty.
    I do like the Costa Del Mar, but I think twice in the last 12 years they have gone bankrupt and I have been stuck with their frames.

Sharpstick

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jansen always made the best.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I *P-R-O-M-I-S-E* you - it most certainly is NOT a gold mine! I don't think there are ANY of us here who would stake a huge portion of our dispensary on a single brand. Much like the markets, a good line of thinking to follow is the age old: Diversify".

Sure, you'll *always* have someone in who's asking for this product, that lens, and of course, they want it yesterday, and for free. Except for Oakley "people". THEY expect you to have read their mind two-months prior, offer it in ANY color they can dream up, and then demand you call Oakley right then and there and "tell them all the reasons they SHOULD go ahead and process their -9.00 with another -4 cyl at 90 because 'the website told me I could do it!!!'"

I would bet, that if you were ever able to have a candid conversation with any of the other locals near you who carry the big O, you might be surprised at just what a headache they can be. If you're lucky - you'll have an amazing rep, who doesn't threaten to sue every other sun company out of existence because they "stole" some magic O formula to make a lens or whatever their paranoia of the week is. I've had a pair of them out here for over twenty years who are absolutely over the top with that kinda rhetoric!

Truly. Seriously. Honestly. You are SO much better off with just about ANY other sport sun line (or sun line in general for that matter!) It's up to you to show the difference, and why it's better to the general public and your patients. Granted, it's not easy to get past all the smoke and mirrors of a heavily overpaid marketing department - possibly made even worse now with the big bucks of Luxottica behind them for the last year or so.

Whatever you decide (or are able) to do - best of luck!

Brian~

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Yes.
    interesting approach. May give it a try. We do have some mix on the major displays, but not on the boards

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I *P-R-O-M-I-S-E* you - it most certainly is NOT a gold mine! I don't think there are ANY of us here who would stake a huge portion of our dispensary on a single brand. Much like the markets, a good line of thinking to follow is the age old: Diversify".

Sure, you'll *always* have someone in who's asking for this product, that lens, and of course, they want it yesterday, and for free. Except for Oakley "people". THEY expect you to have read their mind two-months prior, offer it in ANY color they can dream up, and then demand you call Oakley right then and there and "tell them all the reasons they SHOULD go ahead and process their -9.00 with another -4 cyl at 90 because 'the website told me I could do it!!!'"

I would bet, that if you were ever able to have a candid conversation with any of the other locals near you who carry the big O, you might be surprised at just what a headache they can be. If you're lucky - you'll have an amazing rep, who doesn't threaten to sue every other sun company out of existence because they "stole" some magic O formula to make a lens or whatever their paranoia of the week is. I've had a pair of them out here for over twenty years who are absolutely over the top with that kinda rhetoric!

Truly. Seriously. Honestly. You are SO much better off with just about ANY other sport sun line (or sun line in general for that matter!) It's up to you to show the difference, and why it's better to the general public and your patients. Granted, it's not easy to get past all the smoke and mirrors of a heavily overpaid marketing department - possibly made even worse now with the big bucks of Luxottica behind them for the last year or so.

Whatever you decide (or are able) to do - best of luck!

Brian~
    Thanks for the advice! I feel better now! :cheers:

Occupation
    I do want to say that I have always found that as an optical store, even in a small mall, the demand has always been for RX suns versus non-RX. But I can also say that with the right RX suns, you can blow the competition away.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Other things you're not missing about oakley:
    They just recently started marking sizes on their frames and often the model wears off. I've had several conversations on the phone with oakley trying to get a warranty resolved and the guy/gal on the phone argues with me that the color I've got in my HANDS doesn't exist.

Marketing that makes it sound like they're the only people in the world with a worthwhile product. Plutonite? Ya mean Trivex? I don't like why they have to act like they're so great that any other product doesn't even deserve to share a shelf.

Websites that are very educational but also somewhat misleading. Lenses being shot with a bullet on the website, oakley makes no impact resistance claims. (Pt's take it to mean the glasses are bullet-proof). Also, the website makes people think they can have anything they want with their oakleys, but the pt's don't have the sense or experience to be wary of -9.00 -4.00 x090 in a 65 eyesize sheild being likely to have problems.

Blaringly loud obnoxious 'rock' music while you're on hold (for 30 minutes). I like almost any kind of music, but I really don't want some punk chick wailing into my ear while I'm trying to work.

I realize there's a market for them out there, and I know many people would keep Oakley. However, if I had my choice, I'd be out back taking a baseball bat to the oakley case with glee.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I *P-R-O-M-I-S-E* you - it most certainly is NOT a gold mine!
    COuldn't agree more!:cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information