Thread: Hard Coating Machine

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Hard Coating Machine

I have to make a choice between SCL and Optimal for the hard coating machine. Please advise, which one?

OptiBoard Apprentice csiopticians's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    SCL the good one :idea:
    csiopticians@yahoo.com
    Salus Aegroti Suprema Lex Est

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Can you give me the reason?

OptiBoard Apprentice csiopticians's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Mostly big company / independent lab using this machine, but A man behind the gun. Hard coat problems critically depend on environment. Humidity, varnish, solvent.
    csiopticians@yahoo.com
    Salus Aegroti Suprema Lex Est

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by csiopticians View Post
    Mostly big company / independent lab using this machine, but A man behind the gun. Hard coat problems critically depend on environment. Humidity, varnish, solvent.
    Which the independent lab is using the SCL in Indonesia?

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Trea are several difference betwen SCL and Optimal:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    sorry....
    I have both two the macchine, the difference are:
    1 SCL has a robot more flexible (progreammable), It is nice if you coat different substrate. Optimal is a step by step and the process can't be modify too muth.
    2 SCL (last version) use better meccanical components
    3 SCL spare parts are very expensive but it has long life time, Optimal spare parts are not expensive but the life time....bad
    4 SCL has a load-unload sitem with 6 position, it is good if you need to leave the plant to work aloone
    5 SCL has US at different frequency (You can modify it) It is nice for transitions and fragil substrate.

My last one is SCL

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Mauro: Do you have any contact information for SCL??

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    SCL is the one for us. They are helpful and have oodles of knowledge. They also have respect for their customers which is rare to find and will always try help when needed. Their machines are well designed and operate well.
    Once they set up the machine and you are able to keep it in spec, you will find very few problems.

Jacqui you can contact Denis Gehrig on +33 450 820 720, or try their website www.scl-intl.com
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Denis Gehric is the right one, he is the son of the founder and ha a lot of experience (he is based in France).
    If you like contact Oprimal info@optimal-optic.de

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Thank you guys :D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauro.Airoldi View Post
    sorry....
    I have both two the macchine, the difference are:
    1 SCL has a robot more flexible (progreammable), It is nice if you coat different substrate. Optimal is a step by step and the process can't be modify too muth.
    2 SCL (last version) use better meccanical components
    3 SCL spare parts are very expensive but it has long life time, Optimal spare parts are not expensive but the life time....bad
    4 SCL has a load-unload sitem with 6 position, it is good if you need to leave the plant to work aloone
    5 SCL has US at different frequency (You can modify it) It is nice for transitions and fragil substrate.

My last one is SCL
    It should be noted that in the above comparison the Optimal machine is early generation and entry level (very basic), being compared to an SCL machine that probably cost double the price.

Optimal provide a range of machines from very basic and cost effective, ideal for small labs and startup companies to large highly sophisticated, specially designed equipment for big name lens manufacturers. Optimal also provide a wealth of experience in cleaning and coating fields.

Regarding the points above:

1: Optimal also provide robot handling systems. However on entry level equipment the mass transfer system is easy, efficient and yet still fully configurable. The process remains fully flexible and all lenses can be processed.
    2: Optimal use high quality components and maintenance is very easy.
    3: Life time of all parts is very good. As with any machine, some parts can fail sooner if the correct maintenance is not regularly performed.
    4: Load/Unload conveyors also available on Optimal machines.
    5: Fully configurable ultrasonics are available on Optimal equipment, different frequencies, full power adjustment etc.

Optimal manufacture a lot of ‘special’ machines, and should be contacted if you have specific requirements.

I will not comment on problems with SCL equipment. I have worked with both Optimal and SCL machines, the process is almost the same and in a well managed lab both will produce high yields. The biggest difference is the price tag.

Please note that the contact information for Optimal posted above is also incorrect. info@opt-tec.com is the correct address.

I work with Optimal, and felt the need to comment as I found some of the information in this thread to be misleading.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Your Feedback is different from mine...
    My experience came from production e comparison with 2 CHC60, 1 CD1000 and 1 CDa1000, so ... same experience...i've.
    I don't say that Optimal is bad... It is ok... but in comparation of tecnology, process support and price my last order was for a SCL.
    I buy last plant in 2008 and the differnce betwen CD1000 and CHC120 (same size +/-100-120 lens hour) was +/- same price.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    I am just thinking that the DI Water System of Optimal is so simple.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Dear all,

I know my comment comes a bit late, but it's time to tell the truth to the optical community...
    SCL started with this type of simple machines for labs in the early 90's when the only competitor was Groupe Couget which machines were far from performing. FISA was also there, but the size of the machines was much too big for normal sized labs. That's why the door was wide open for SCL at that time and the company could find the way to success...Initially they offered lacquers from Tokuyama Soda and later when LG Chemicals decided to get on the market, they offered LG lacquers, always pretending that they were manufactured by them. This matter is just their business but it's already a huge lie! Anyway, when you think about their cleaning/rinsing process, you may find it strange that it is rinsing with cold water and without ultrasonics. Well, there you may have two ways of seeing it: the first one is that they didn't know that the soaps go away much easier with warm water than with cold water and that without ultrasonics, only the surface of the lenses can be cleaned/rinsed! anyway, when the user runs this process, there is no way of seeing the trouble because the solvent from the lacquer (in that case methanol) is doing it. That's where the second way of considering this process lies...actually, on rinsing with the solvent from the lacquer, the latter gets contaminated and ages faster...when the machine manufacturer also sells the lacquer, you understand that there is a trick behind this. Either way, just reconsider now, SCL technology...;)
    When Optimal started its business in the late 90's early 00's, it took SCL as a model, that's why the same 'mistakes' were reproduced. However, at that time Optimal was not selling lacquers, so there is nothing to complain about...
    But in any case, now that you know the truth, ask your dip coating manufacturer for heating and ultrasonic systems in all cleaning/rinsing tanks!

Thread Information