Thread: Lindberg

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lindberg

I was wondering if any had a phone number for Lindberg Eyewear. I went to their website and it was far far far(international)....I'm looking for US distributor.

Christina

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At the risk of thread hi-jacking do the slots on Lindbergs need to be made with a tapered drill bit?

Current patient her frame (I don't deal with them and after this fiasco I'm working on never will) will not stay tight. Patient says she found a place on the web that says the slot needs to be tapered. True?

(Sorry Christina)
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-08-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    At the risk of thread hi-jacking do the slots on Lindbergs need to be made with a tapered drill bit?

Current patient her frame (I don't deal with them and after this fiasco I'm working on never will) will not stay tight. Patient says she found a place on the web that says the slot needs to be tapered. True?

(Sorry Christina)
    Fester,
    Lindbergs are made with a drill that drops and then moves from left to right. They have to be very very precise, and requires a special milling bit, and a special slot tool to hold the lens.

You must use Trivex, 1.60 or 1.67, no other material will work inc poly (no one has tested the new Seiko 1.74 but it holds promise).

They don't need to be tapered. Where she found ANYTHING on the web suprises me since I have had to squeeze Lingberg even for B measurements on its shapes, let alone slot dimensions.

If you are talking about the 2000 series the slot dimension are: width: 1.10mm x length: 2.43 mm. The slot needs to be beveled around the edge to avoid chipping when mounting, a cone shape stone tool is best.

They require a special UV glue, and UV glue remover (although others have mounted with other glues, YMMV).

Even experienced labs have had fits. You won't believe the number of labs that have told me "no problem, we can do those" and its a month before I see the frame back with SV lenses, often accompanied by a pile of broken lens blanks.

Please note that I myself have never processed or mounted one, I currently don't have a finish lab on site (small office), but I sell their frames (and love them).

Good luck,
    Sharpstick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020 View Post
    I was wondering if any had a phone number for Lindberg Eyewear. I went to their website and it was far far far(international)....I'm looking for US distributor.

Christina
    Christina,

I PM'd you with a US phone number. They have a US office but it only handles customer service and accounting. They don't have a distributor per se (they handle their own distribution with US based reps). If you call the number you will most likely be speaking to someone in Denmark, but their English is usually good. Its usually staffed during US East Coast Business hours.

Great frames, but as Fester noted, you need a very very good lab to process the lenses. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sharpstick

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

They are the US distributor.

Christina
    The number is Tel 1-800-386-9196 and Fax 1-800-386-9197.

They are the easiest and our favorite design by far; we do 70% frame less and they lead the way. It is easier to build a Lindberg than any full frame for us.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We don't use a special bit!

(Sorry Christina)
    We use a standard 1mm milling bit and when it starts to get hard to put them together we change the bit.
    They are the perfect design if built correctly and it must be done exactly like any drill mount.

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could someone post a picture for those of us not familar with this mounting system?

{Where is the : This thread is worthless without pictures emoticon?}

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Could someone post a picture for those of us not familar with this mounting system?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thread usless.jpg  

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Google is your friend!
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper )....I'm looking for US distributor..................

Christina

I just looked it up through my website at: http://optochemicals.com/web_listing1.htm

and found the list of USA distributors, look under contacts and find your distributo, just pick the one in your state.

http://www.lindberg.com/mainsite/lin...58FDKRi1D9B4DD

Occupation
    That mounting doesn't look too hard to do, even the old way

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pass the salt...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Fester,
    Lindbergs are made with a drill that drops and then moves from left to right. They have to be very very precise, and requires a special milling bit, and a special slot tool to hold the lens.

You must use Trivex, 1.60 or 1.67, no other material will work inc poly (no one has tested the new Seiko 1.74 but it holds promise).

They don't need to be tapered. Where she found ANYTHING on the web suprises me since I have had to squeeze Lingberg even for B measurements on its shapes, let alone slot dimensions.

If you are talking about the 2000 series the slot dimension are: width: 1.10mm x length: 2.43 mm. The slot needs to be beveled around the edge to avoid chipping when mounting, a cone shape stone tool is best.

They require a special UV glue, and UV glue remover (although others have mounted with other glues, YMMV).

Even experienced labs have had fits. You won't believe the number of labs that have told me "no problem, we can do those" and its a month before I see the frame back with SV lenses, often accompanied by a pile of broken lens blanks.

Please note that I myself have never processed or mounted one, I currently don't have a finish lab on site (small office), but I sell their frames (and love them).

Good luck,
    Sharpstick
    Thanks Sharpstick. They are poly so that explains a lot. I need to check her other pair (also Lindberg). They are rock solid and I think are poly but made by another lab. You can take them out and they go back tight so if there was glue used it's not affecting the other pair now.

I'll be interested to hear what tools my lab used to make them.

Mmmm--The taste of redo.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-09-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: delete redundancy...delete redundancy...add thought...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Jacqui,
    That picture is of the older AIR series... the newer 2000 series is similar but much smaller and much more precise. That is exactly what every lab person has said.. "it doesn't look too hard" but then they take a month for SV to arrive back in.

Great frames, great concept, but a pain for a high volume lab to get right. They take time and a lot of lab skill.

Sharpstick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thanks Sharpstick. They are poly so that explains a lot. I need to check her other pair (also Lindberg). They are rock solid and I think are poly but made by another lab. You can take them out and they go back tight so if there was glue used it's not affecting the other pair now.

I'll be interested to hear what tools my lab used to make them.

Mmmm--The taste of redo.
    The older AIR series could be done in poly w/ a poly approved adhesive, the newer 2000 series can't. We use mostly 1.60 with good luck.

Sharpstick

Occupation
    Jacqui,
    That picture is of the older AIR series... the newer 2000 series is similar but much smaller and much more precise. That is exactly what every lab person has said.. "it doesn't look too hard" but then they take a month for SV to arrive back in.

Great frames, great concept, but a pain for a high volume lab to get right. They take time and a lot of lab skill.

Sharpstick
    I'll have to get my hands on one sometime soon and see what they are like for sure.

:cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I'll have to get my hands on one sometime soon and see what they are like for sure.
    :cheers::cheers:
    Just PM your Credit Card number and I will drop one in the mail. Have a favorite color?

Sharpstick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just PM your Credit Card number and I will drop one in the mail. Have a favorite color?

Sharpstick
    Shouldn't that be comped?? Its for evaluation for us non users on optiboard.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

My shop do not have the drill mount, if I need to change the pattern shape, I usually make the pattern myself, any kind of paper can work out the shape also we can tell the lab to drill holes up and down whereever we like to fit on patient nose bridge, we can check up the size and shape very detail and also calculate the lens thickness before we actually do it. Just to minimise the problems !

The frame are terrific, best wear for me is the spirit (2000 series) it is function and comfort together, in the front the facal appearance is good almost look like wearing nothing but on the temple side we can choose many different color and style on titanium and accetate temple.

For the customers they feel that it is so special that they can choose their own favourite color style and even name engraved on the temple !

Most customers would enjoy the shopping after the experiences !

:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave We will do your Lindbergs!

Jacqui,

Sharpstick
    We charge other opticians $35 to edge Lindbergs and we get them out the same day; we use as much trivex as possible and they are perfect every time. The slotting has to be precise and we do a few per day as it is out #1 seller for the past 8 years. We can also order any lenses you desire, but prefer to use trivex and then 1.67. We also drill the 1.74 in Lindberg with no problems; you must be careful not to flake it when putting together, but they are very strong and it is always high powers anyway.

I wear a pair in solid 18k white gold and love them.

Craig
    Let me know if we can help.
    Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jacqui, I had a 2000 Spirit come in a few months back and would not have even attempted it unless I had my Smart Drill, and i've been hand drilling over 3 decades.

Kudo's to Craig who gave me some great tips where it came out perfect the 1st time.

:cheers:

Occupation
    Hi Christina. email me at dons@nclasik.com
    .we carry them and do very well with them. there is not a usa distributor.so you will have to deal with them. i can put you in touch with my rep she is great. the trouble is finding a lab that does a good job with them. we have our own lab and after alot of very expensive mistakes i have finally figured out how to drill them and keep them together. outside labs do a HORRIBLE job with them. i have found the key is to only use trivex, NO POLY.
    but the line is fantastic and we sell them like crazy
    Donald W Summers,B.S,A.B.O.C,N.C.L.E

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

question On doing the Lindbergs

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We charge other opticians $35 to edge Lindbergs and we get them out the same day; we use as much trivex as possible and they are perfect every time. The slotting has to be precise and we do a few per day as it is out #1 seller for the past 8 years. We can also order any lenses you desire, but prefer to use trivex and then 1.67. We also drill the 1.74 in Lindberg with no problems; you must be careful not to flake it when putting together, but they are very strong and it is always high powers anyway.

I wear a pair in solid 18k white gold and love them.

Craig
    Let me know if we can help.
    Craig
    Craig what size drill bit do you use? I've seen on here a 1.10 mm bit. Is that correct. I'm doing one and going to use a silhouette shape in it. Thanks Steve

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The bit is 1.0mm but the slot is 1.1 wide and ? long, if it is 1.15 it will be sloppy. I created LenSync.com to solve this very issue; create an account and let me know yur thoughts. We can connect to any drilling edger.

Thread Information