Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet eyeglasses from Ontario !

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Internet eyeglasses from Ontario !

Any Ontario optician want to fill a complaint against them ?

Hope your laws are better than in BC.

http://www.eyewearmagic.com/index.php?act=ContactUs

Are Ontario laws same as Quebec ?

Reserved acts in Quebec: any act that consist in SELLING, posing, measuring, ajusting and replacing an ophtalmic lens.
    Last edited by Comma; 04-07-2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: mistake

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Any Ontario optician want to fill a complaint .....................

Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    Any Ontario optician want to fill a complaint against them ?

Hope your laws are better than in BC.

http://www.eyewearmagic.com/index.php?act=ContactUs

Are Ontario laws same as Quebec ?

Reserved acts in Quebec: any act that consist in SELLING, posing, measuring, ajusting and replacing an ophtalmic lens.

All of our qualified opticians have over 30 years of experience in Ihe eyewear industry. Each pair of glasses shipped out
    from our lens laboratory is sale, 1 protecled in a durable case, examined and bench-sllpned Ihoroughly and perfected to
    Ihe smallest detail prior to packaging. Our ophthalmic lenses are guaranteed for precision, tailored to the prescription
    intormation that you provide.

We understand that everyone s head shape and size are unique as well, and that is why we always recommend you to
    consider bringing your glasses to your local optical shop to have them personally fitted to your Individual needs for
    maximum comfort and grip. And don 'I worry; based on our experience in !he eyewear retail business, fittings are usua!ly
    performed free of charge or a small fee under $10.00

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

We at Eyewear Magic don't want you 10 compromise ior anything, especially when it comes to your look and vision
    comfort' Within 7 days to receiving our producs), if you feel unsatisfied for any reason at all and would like to return
    the product{s), we will provide you with a 1QO% refund off the original purchase pnce', no questions asked!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It also says they have Optometrists on staff.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Google map shows that a Catherine Cheung optometrist is listed at this address.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Here is the address in Chinese:

Here is the address in Chinese:
    最近新换了眼镜, 可是戴上新眼镜后眼睛极度疲劳, 感觉散光度数和光轴配的不对, 跟旧眼镜差别很大. 不想用原来的眼科医生, 想换个医生重新验光, 哪位可有好的验光是推荐? 谢谢.

:bbg:

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    All of our qualified opticians have over 30 years of experience in Ihe eyewear industry. Each pair of glasses shipped out
    from our lens laboratory is sale, 1 protecled in a durable case, examined and bench-sllpned Ihoroughly and perfected to
    Ihe smallest detail prior to packaging. Our ophthalmic lenses are guaranteed for precision, tailored to the prescription
    intormation that you provide.

We understand that everyone s head shape and size are unique as well, and that is why we always recommend you to
    consider bringing your glasses to your local optical shop to have them personally fitted to your Individual needs for
    maximum comfort and grip. And don 'I worry; based on our experience in !he eyewear retail business, fittings are usua!ly
    performed free of charge or a small fee under $10.00

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

We at Eyewear Magic don't want you 10 compromise ior anything, especially when it comes to your look and vision
    comfort' Within 7 days to receiving our producs), if you feel unsatisfied for any reason at all and would like to return
    the product{s), we will provide you with a 1QO% refund off the original purchase pnce', no questions asked!

see i dont care about the glasses on the internet i know there will always be customers looking for next to nothing deals but when i read stuff like take the eyewear to a local optician just gets me going :angry:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The college should really crack down on things like this. It seems the college has a hard time beating people at "games" like this. Just like "Great Glasses", seems like they just cant take them down...or am i wrong?

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by cityconnection View Post
    The college should really crack down on things like this. It seems the college has a hard time beating people at "games" like this. Just like "Great Glasses", seems like they just cant take them down...or am i wrong?
    how would they get pd's and seg hts for lined or progressives? look at the ordering part do you see an issue with measurements for progressives ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    how would they get pd's and seg hts for lined or progressives? look at the ordering part do you see an issue with measurements for progressives ?
    They take an "average". I dont know but most places probably dont care when they make it. They are making our field look cheap, as a whole. They are ruining our image. This is a health profession (and retail to some degree) not a pharmacy selling pre-made reading glasses. It's a shame, but it was inevitable that someone would stoop that low to make a quick buck.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    well, as citizens, lets stop talking about it and just put a complaint together. Who do we have to message? I think the College of Opticians and the College of Optometrists, but what about law enforcement.

Lets STOP talking, and start doing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Question :

Even though they have real opticians or optometrists, don't you have something in your laws that says something like : "you have to do your job correctly ?" or "you need to act as a professionnal, in the state of the art" ?
    We have these kind of legal obligations here.

If so, these people should be accused of not doing their job correctly and putting patients at risk.

Just remember, primary goal of a college, board, order... is to protect the public. Second goal : Getting sure their members are doing so.
    I'm not talking about private professionnal associations here.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe money is a major problem for optician- optometrists colleges ?

As an exemple, last year, our board spent more than $50 000 in investigating and suing, but only received about $7000 back in penalties.

Who paid the missing $43 000 ? Members like me.

Will my board raise annual fees ? Of course.
    Are you ready to pay ?

Our president earn about $100 000 a year.
    SURE she want to be re-elected !!!
    Pushing buttons, travelling... instead of bending frames.
    What is the best way to be re-elected ?
    Highering annual fees AND having balls ? (may I say "balls" here ? Is it OK ?)
    Keeping the actual fees AND acting like a puppy ?
    As she want to keep her money and most people want to keep their...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Question :

Even though they have real opticians or optometrists, don't you have something in your laws that says something like : "you have to do your job correctly ?" or "you need to act as a professionnal, in the state of the art" ?
    We have these kind of legal obligations here.

If so, these people should be accused of not doing their job correctly and putting patients at risk.

Just remember, primary goal of a college, board, order... is to protect the public. Second goal : Getting sure their members are doing so.
    I'm not talking about private professionnal associations here.
    Complaints should go to the College of Opticians and The College of Optometrists and it does not hurt to call the associations too !! Would not hurt to call local MPs . Already placed my calls

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great move refracting optician ! :cheers::cheers:

People often don't realize that local governements and authorities tend to look at their neighboors when taking decisions about MANY things.
    Each action taken in each province (even in U.S.) has a indirect long term impact at a general level.

I have read a lot of Court decisions (we have a professions Court here), and a lot of them refer to foreign laws... to justify their decisions. For the best AND the worst.

Each action is important because the sum of all of them can make things change.

Thanks again !

Occupation

Blue Jumper Get together...................

Each action is important because the sum of all of them can make things change.

Why don't you start by getting together and reach an agreement, maybe even with the associations, and have a common poster made that says you will take measurements for INTERNET glasses and make the adjustment after receipt of the glasses, for lets say, $ 30.00.

See that the posters are hanging in every member store so the public can see it.

Don't count on your suppliers as they are also supplying the on-line companies that have a much higher volume.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Why don't you start by getting together and reach an agreement, maybe even with the associations, and have a common poster made that says you will take measurements for INTERNET glasses and make the adjustment after receipt of the glasses, for lets say, $ 30.00.

See that the posters are hanging in every member store so the public can see it.

Don't count on your suppliers as they are also supplying the on-line companies that have a much higher volume.

What are you going to do when the customer and supplier say the glasses are no good because of your measurements?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Are you crazy ?

That would make them legitimate in the eyes of the public and if they had not considered the internet as a place to order then you would have just driven them out of your store to the internet .

There is NO WAY anyone should do that, NONE of you !

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What the hell, man? It's official...now I've heard it all! :hammer:Craziness!!! :finger:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    i think you guys are falling behind ... i'm currently supplying clearlycontacts.ca's cases and i'm telling you, these online guys are VERY, VERY big. coastalcontacts.com runs their business online in US, canada, europe (called lensway i believe), australia and new zealand. they are in toronto stock exchange market and i'm buying their shares. their ad's are everywhere in europe (they came from there). they even gave out free designer pairs in calgary a few weeks ago (i know because supplied the cases and cloths). and they sell the glasses at toy price because everything is manufactured in a production line fashion. i dont know about this eye wear magic company, but it is crazy that you think this type of companies are illegal just because they are online.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Val_Kings View Post
    i think you guys are falling behind ... i'm currently supplying clearlycontacts.ca's cases and i'm telling you, these online guys are VERY, VERY big. coastalcontacts.com runs their business online in US, canada, europe (called lensway i believe), australia and new zealand. they are in toronto stock exchange market and i'm buying their shares. their ad's are everywhere in europe (they came from there). they even gave out free designer pairs in calgary a few weeks ago (i know because supplied the cases and cloths). and they sell the glasses at toy price because everything is manufactured in a production line fashion. i dont know about this eye wear magic company, but it is crazy that you think this type of companies are illegal just because they are online.
    they are illegal because they are breaking laws, not because they are online.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper $ 30.00 for a servicing the glasses .........................

Quote Originally Posted by Val_Kings View Post
    ....................i think you guys are falling behind ... i'm currently supplying clearlycontacts.ca's cases and i'm telling you, these online guys are VERY, VERY big. coastalcontacts.com runs their business online in US, canada, europe (called lensway i believe), australia and new zealand. they are in toronto stock exchange market and i'm buying their shares.
    If you are one of their suppliers it seems to be normal that you support them as long as they buy big and pay fast. Their stock in the Toronto stock exchange is worth $ 0.81, so maybe you are doing the right thing to purchase tons of it.

But if anybody can actually proof that they are breaking the law, the they will be shut down and maybe not.

In the meantime I still would suggest that opticians and optometrists charge at least $ 30.00 for a servicing the glasses that were purchased on line. This way you would at least make something fom somebody that would never have come to for the product.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are one of their suppliers it seems to be normal that you support them as long as they buy big and pay fast. Their stock in the Toronto stock exchange is worth $ 0.81, so maybe you are doing the right thing to purchase tons of it.

But if anybody can actually proof that they are breaking the law, the they will be shut down and maybe not.

In the meantime I still would suggest that opticians and optometrists charge at least $ 30.00 for a servicing the glasses that were purchased on line. This way you would at least make something fom somebody that would never have come to for the product.
    Chris, I can supply all of your materials and products to your customers for a much lower price. But I need someone to receive the orders and fax them to my warehouse every month. If you do it I will pay you $30.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Occupation

Redhot Jumper If you do it I will pay you $30.......................

Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Chris, I can supply all of your materials and products to your customers for a much lower price. But I need someone to receive the orders and fax them to my warehouse every month. If you do it I will pay you $30.
    My products come from me, as we make each and everyone ourselves and then sell them to distributors or direct. So your reasoning is of the track, I am incontrol of my own products.

This is not a good comparison. On line customers you will never get, as they shop purely for price, but they might need some service. Either you do it forfree as it has been forever world wide or you charge them a fee, whatever it is, or you show them the door and get bad mouthed all over town.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay Chris, I am going to start making tints and UV liquids and sell them to your customers for a lower price. I will pay you $0.01 per dozen to fill the bottles.

EVERONE wants the lowest price, not just internet customers. You would not accept the above terms and opticians will not accept a small fee to take PD measurements for the competition either.

We will however, accept a large fee for the service because we will not be liable for the results.

I will gladly take PD's for $100 each. I will open a business for just this purpose and I will be able to book approximately 250 appointments per day since measurements take less than 2 minutes.

250 customers X $100 = $25,000 per day.

Not a bad living.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Occupation

Are you kidding me? Is it still April 1st?

That idea would 100% support this illegal activity and goes against everything we stand for as licenced, registered professionals that believe in our profession and the quality of service we provide.
    Last edited by eyemanflying; 04-09-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Thread Information