Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Sales Advertising and Business Ethics

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    We don't have politics we only have corruption.
    oh come one. Yes we have corruption, but our politicians are much cleaner than many others.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I wonder , if I was going to take someone to court for hitting my car if first I should be able to prove who the driver is ?

I wonder if a College were to take someone to court , do you thnk they might want to be able to prove the identity of the contact lens fitter ? Do you think they might want to prove that this person was or was not registered in their jurisdiction ? And perhaps you might want to prove who that optician was working for and what their work schedule is and also how the employer covers for that optician when the optician is not there . Are orders still processed ?

If you can think of a College which might have gone to court without identifiying the existence of a optician or contact lens fitter , and without proving that the unidentified optician was licensed in their jurisdiction you really should call them and ask the registrar why they would do that if they wanted to win ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    Didn't they recently get sued by the BCAO for illegal dispensing and actually win? Hmmmmm.
    To set the record straight... there is no BCAO. The regulatory College of Opticians of BC (COBC) (www.cobc.ca) launched this lawsuit. Not to be confused with the school BC College of Optics (BCCO).;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    Read the court transcripts on that one , in my opinion, I would rather say that the BC College messed up big time . It is not so much that the defendant won as it is that BC College lost and flubbed it . IMHO, I know a paralegal that could have done a better job . It is hard to believe.

Read what the judge said . In my opinion, he tells them what they were doing wrong and why they lost .
    I wonder if the BC COllege even considered taking the judge's advice about the wording of their act as compared to Alberta's . I wonder if the BC College even read the court transcripts .

In my humble opinion , they failed the simplest and most basic thing , that might have won .
    Where could I read those transcripts?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    To set the record straight... there is no BCAO. The regulatory College of Opticians of BC (COBC) (www.cobc.ca) launched this lawsuit. Not to be confused with the school BC College of Optics (BCCO).;)
    Isn't there a BC Association of Optometrists?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper they failed the simplest and most basic thing , that might have won .

In my humble opinion , they failed the simplest and most basic thing , that might have won .

However they could appeal........................

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    However they could appeal........................
    It makes perfect sense now why they have an ex-MP involved in their business activities. Probably has every lawyer and judge in the province in his back pocket.

Ahhh, corruption and collusion at it's finest! :finger:

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Look at the numbers the think abou the impact...............

At sales of 620 jobs a day, which is up 24% from the same period last year this operation is run by all non optical people, which have figured out that they could do well by selling huge quantities at rock bottom prices, and seems that they succeded.

It translates into 620 time 5 days per week = 3,100 pairs of glasses a week.

At 52 weeks it would get to 161,200 pairs per year in 2009, furthermore they are adding ...............and open 1,400 new customer accounts per day

and if they increase another 25% next year it will be + 40,300 pairs sold in 2010 = 201,500

That is 362,700 frames over 2 years and 725,400 lenses

That is a huge quantity, which for sure commands major discounts from their suppliers, which are also your suppliers for frames and lenses.

This is a huge impact on the Canadian optical community. Can you stop it ? Can you counter it ? Can you fight it ? Or can you play along ?
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 04-03-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Occupation

Occupation

Blue Jumper Look up terms of sale..............................

Seems like they say that they sell only replacement glasses not any first time ones.

Look up terms of sale, article eyeglasses at

Occupation
    Seems like they say that they sell only replacement glasses not any first time ones.

Look up terms of sale, article eyeglasses at

I suppose this is their defense and legal jargon interpretation for skirting around the RHPA act for illegal dispensing and that the act, laws or liability doesn't apply to them.

Arrogant and above the law...nice combination, but doesn't last forever. This scheme/scandal is not near as elaborate but is as arrogant, slick and deceiving as Bernard Madoff and Conrad Black.

All good things eventually come to an end.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    I suppose this is their defense and legal jargon interpretation for skirting around the RHPA act for illegal dispensing and that the act, laws or liability doesn't apply to them.

Arrogant and above the law...nice combination, but doesn't last forever. This scheme/scandal is not near as elaborate but is as arrogant, slick and deceiving as Bernard Madoff and Conrad Black.

All good things eventually come to an end.

It is long overdue for all of the Colleges to smarten up and change the wording of the relevant acts to prevent this .

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    At sales of 620 jobs a day, which is up 24% from the same period last year this operation is run by all non optical people, which have figured out that they could do well by selling huge quantities at rock bottom prices, and seems that they succeded.

It translates into 620 time 5 days per week = 3,100 pairs of glasses a week.

At 52 weeks it would get to 161,200 pairs per year in 2009, furthermore they are adding ...............and open 1,400 new customer accounts per day

and if they increase another 25% next year it will be 201,500 pairs sold in 2010.

That is 363,700 frames over 2 years and 725,400 lenses

That is a huge quantity, which for sure commands major discounts from their suppliers, which are also your suppliers for frames and lenses.

This is a huge impact on the Canadian optical community. Can you stop it ? Can you counter it ? Can you fight it ? Or can you play along ?

Chris , recheck the math please, an internet seller does not close , they are open 7 days per week ! 24 hours per day ! And they are not subject to time zones.

Occupation

Blue Jumper So if anybody could put some light on this part .............

Chris , recheck the math please, an internet seller does not close , they are open 7 days per week ! 24 hours per day ! And they are not subject to time zones.
    Before redoing the math, lets find out where the lab is located, what is the name and if it is also working 7/24. Doing that amount of Rx's a day I am sure it can not be hidden in some basement in anytown.

So if anybody could put some light on this part it would be helpful.

Occupation
    Before redoing the math, lets find out where the lab is located, what is the name and if it is also working 7/24. Doing that amount of Rx's a day I am sure it can not be hidden in some basement in anytown.

So if anybody could put some light on this part it would be helpful.
    It is located in Vancouver. I recently saw an ad recruiting for a 'Lab manager in their downtown Vancouver optical lab facility'.

I'm sure they except orders via the interent 24 hours a day but the lab operates like any other on a M-F days basis.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper College of Opticians of British Columbia ...................

College of Opticians of British Columbia v. Coastal Contacts Inc., 2008 BCSC 617 (CanLII)

IN THE SUPREME COURT OF BRITISH COLUMBIA

Citation:
    College of Opticians of British Columbia v. Coastal Contacts Inc.,

2008 BCSC 617

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlig...08bcsc617.html

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One legal optician who works for them 24 hours a day seven days a week checking all of the orders...BULL.

Are there no opticians on this board that have a wife or husband who is a lawyer, that would read the court decision and then in plain a simple language tell us what the orders of each province have to do to change their bylaws, in order to stop them. Alberta did it.

WANTED....REWARD POSTED (a free pair of contacts) ...FOR THE NAME OF THE OPTICIAN... LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL.

I wonder if he/she is related to any of the board of directors.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Coastal Optical Lab........................

COASTAL CONTACTS INC.

Attention Business Editors:
    Coastal Contacts appoints senior eyeglasses lab manager

<< /NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION TO UNITED STATES NEWSWIRE SERVICES OR FOR DISSEMINATION IN THE UNITED STATES./ TSX Symbol: COA >> VANCOUVER, April 2 /CNW/ -

Apr 2, 2009
    Coastal Contacts Inc. (TSX: COA) announcedtoday the appointment of Scott Turnbull as Senior Lab Manager for its growingeyeglasses business. Having spent more than 23 years in the optical industry, Mr. Turnbull hasworked as an optician and most recently as Lab Manager with Essilor CanadaLtd, (Nasdaq: ESLOY) at one of the largest eyeglasses manufacturing facilitiesin Canada.

Prior to his most recent position, Mr. Turnbull founded CanadianOptometric Solutions, an optometric practice management consulting business inBritish Columbia. "Mr. Turnbull's professional career in the industry has given him theknowledge and skills to successfully manage large lab operations and theability to handle our order volume, without compromising the high qualitystandards that we have established." Said Roger Hardy, Coastal ContactsPresident and CEO. "We are pleased to have him join our team, contribute toour continued growth and lead our eyeglasses manufacturing group." Coastal launched its eyeglasses business in February 2008 and has rapidlybecome a leader in the direct to consumer eyeglasses channel passing savingson to customers.

Customers are delighted to have access to high qualityeyeglasses at previously unheard of prices. About Coastal Contacts: Coastal Contacts Inc. (www.coastalcontacts.com) is the world's leadingdirect-to-consumer vision products company which designs, produces anddistributes a diversified offering such as contact lenses and eyeglasses. TheCompany's unique combination of branded and private label products representquality, value and above all, service. Coastal sells into more than 150countries through proprietary web properties which reflect the culture andconsumer preference of the target market.

As new markets for eyeglasses andcontact lenses evolve, the Company is positioned to become the vision productconsumer's retailer of choice owing to its unbeatable value propositioncombining value and service. Already No. 1 in many of its markets, Coastal israpidly advancing toward its goal of becoming the "World's Optical Store".

This news release contains certain forward-looking statements thatreflect the current views and/or expectations of Coastal Contacts Inc. withrespect to its performance, business and future events. Investors arecautioned that all forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertaintiesincluding, without limitation, those relating to changes in the market,potential downturns in economic conditions, consumer credit risk, limitedsuppliers, inventory risk, disruption in our distribution facilities, foreignexchange fluctuations, changes in business strategy, regulatory requirements,demand for contact lenses and other vision care products, competition,dependence on the internet and other risks detailed in our filings with theCanadian securities regulatory authorities.

Reference should be made to thesection entitled "Risk Factors" contained in our most recently filed AnnualInformation Form dated January 29, 2009 for a detailed description of therisks and uncertainties relating to our business. These risks, as well asothers, could cause actual results and events to vary significantly.Accordingly, readers should not place undue reliance on forward-lookingstatements and information, which are qualified in their entirety by thiscautionary statement. Except as required by applicable law, Coastal Contactsdoes not undertake any obligations to release publicly any revisions forupdating any voluntary forward-looking statements.

<< Neither the TSX nor any other regulatory body has reviewed and therefore does not accept responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release. >>For further information: Terry Vanderkruyk, Vice President, CorporateDevelopment, Coastal Contacts Inc., (604) 676-4498,terryv@coastalcontacts.com

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../02/c6775.html

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...icleid/3169561

http://www.duedee.com/news/1028029/C...s-lab-manager/
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 04-04-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Coastal Contacts reports financial results for the first fiscal quarter of 2009

Attention Business/Financial Editors:
    Coastal Contacts reports financial results for the first fiscal quarter of 2009

<< /NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION TO UNITED STATES NEWSWIRE SERVICES OR FOR DISSEMINATION IN THE UNITED STATES/ >> TSX Symbol: COA

VANCOUVER, March 11 /CNW/ - Coastal Contacts Inc. ("Coastal") (TSX: COA)today announced its unaudited financial results for the first fiscal quarterended January 31, 2009.

<< Key figures include: - $31.3 million of sales, an increase of 24% compared to the same period last year -

299,855 total orders shipped - 600 basis point improvement in gross margin to 31% compared to the same period last year -

$2.0 million of Adjusted EBITDA - $1.0 million of net earnings - $0.02 of net earnings per share -

$1.7 million of cash generated from net earnings excluding non-cash items

>> See whole report:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../11/c7761.html

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It would be interesting to know why the plaintiff chose not to identify the optician/contact lens fitter and yet it looks like they were trying to build a case that depended on establishing this .

Did they purposely choose to lose ?

It would be nice to read the full transcript rather than just the summary .

Why would a lawyer choose to fail to identify the optician/ contact lens fitter ?

Why would they not even establish "risk of harm" ?????

In My Humble Opinion , this does not seem believeable . Looks like window dressing. Looks like a fight , but it wasn't a fight that was fought . Seems to me in my opinion , it was a fight that was destined to failure .
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 04-04-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Internet sales of contacts and glasses are minimal in Canada. Just make your sales and keep your current customers. Even if you lose 1 sale to them trying online sales, they will be back, eventually when they realize they have to come to you to get adjustments and stuff too. Just my opinion....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optik magazine ,this month posts an article/interview with Tom Roberts Director of J&J. If you wish to read some corporate double talk......read it. Not a single mention of the WM/JJ alliance in it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    Optik magazine ,this month posts an article/interview with Tom Roberts Director of J&J. If you wish to read some corporate double talk......read it. Not a single mention of the WM/JJ alliance in it.
    Sorry for the ignorance but what is WM?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper has nothing to do with Coastal Contacts

Quote Originally Posted by cityconnection View Post
    Sorry for the ignorance but what is WM?

WAL-MART...............and has nothing to do with Coastal Contacts ON LINE BUSINESS

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WAL-MART...............and has nothing to do with Coastal Contacts ON LINE BUSINESS

Thats a whole other story from online sales...

Thread Information